BANGKOK
snoop1130

Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll

Thank you indeed, that gave me a huge laugh. So the expats are in Thailand for example, to make improvements. The idea that the bars of Pattaya are full of gross, old, skinhead, lumps of dung, slobbering over some sad young, poor farmers daughters, from Issan, because they are Britains finest do-gooders here to improve the lives of the locals, takes a terminally fevered imagination to conceive. 

If they came from a better place why didn't they just stay there, or maybe living in the UK's wet cold soulless urban nightmare was not actually a better place.

IMHO They came because it was cheap totty and beer in the sunshine. Brexit (mainly) has put paid to the cheap bit of that of course.

Ref  - The sponging fantasy

THE GREAT IRONY is that it is money from immigrant taxes that is helpin to pay the pensions of all those TV Brexiteers who are complaining about them.

In extensive research undertaken by University College London, it was discovered that EU migrants arriving in Britain in the last decade (between 2001 to 2011) made a massive NET contribution to our Treasury of £20 billion.

During the same period, British people took out MORE from the Treasury than they put in – a deficit of a whopping £617 billion.

The same report revealed that, since most of those EU migrants came to Britain with their education already paid for, they ‘endowed the country with productive human capital that would have cost the UK £6.8bn in spending on education.’

A separate study conducted by the LSE in May 2016 concluded that:

[emoji830] EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

In extensive research undertaken by University College London, it was discovered that EU migrants arriving in Britain in the last decade (between 2001 to 2011) made a massive NET contribution to our Treasury of £20 billion.

During the same period, British people took out MORE from the Treasury than they put in – a deficit of a whopping £617 billion.

The same report revealed that, since most of those EU migrants came to Britain with their education already paid for, they ‘endowed the country with productive human capital that would have cost the UK £6.8bn in spending on education.’

A separate study conducted by the LSE in May 2016 concluded that:

[emoji830] EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

Here is the link https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2017/10/30/eu-migrants-give-take/

The sources for the article are government stats DWP etc, Hansard, and two academic studies.

If you don't want to believe this you could tell yourself that government departments and two universities are part of a vast conspiracy to hide the truth from you which can only be found in the Sun and the Mail.

This is a good YouTube video on some of the same points about the truth on immigration

I always suspected this as every foreigner I knew in my town worked.And the only people spunging of the Government was some English people.  

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, puipuitom said:

Mid 80's I followed a 13 day course in international affairs, for a big part about currency ( strength).

At the end one of the students thanked the prof, and asked: "but.. can you also tell what the exchange rate of the US$ towards the EU currencies will be next week?

His answer: "these kinds of questions, you should not ask at the Faculty of Economics but at the Faculty of Psychology".

would have thought you,d be better off crossing mystic megs palm with silver and asking her.these so called "experts" cannot even predict a recession .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Please make your mind up, you can't be "Power grabbing" and unelectable (I don't disagree with that assessment) at the same time. If you are unelectable you can't grab power. 

A cab ride to see the queen (not happening) after a no confidence vote would be an attempt at power grabbing, while still being unelectable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

This is a good YouTube video on some of the same points about the truth on immigration

I always suspected this as every foreigner I knew in my town worked.And the only people spunging of the Government was some English people.  

spunging ???????????????????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

A cab ride to see the queen (not happening) after a no confidence vote would be an attempt at power grabbing, while still being unelectable.

hope he dosen,t get an uber,he,d never get there.

spunging ???????????????????
" To spunge; to eat and drink at another's cost. Spunging”

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Regarding that QZ.com article, the last para reads:

"Britain is estimated to have around €150 billion in assets that it purchased during its EU membership, including cash and property(paywall). On top of that, since the EU spends around €7 billion a year in Britain, so if these payments were deducted, it would reduce the final bill but a large amount."

That "large amount" might even be 100% - I do not know.

leave and knock,em

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Thank you indeed, that gave me a huge laugh.

So the expats are in Thailand for example, to make improvements. The idea that the bars of Pattaya are full of gross, old, skinhead, lumps of dung, slobbering over some sad young, poor farmers daughters, from Issan, because they are Britains finest do-gooders here to improve the lives of the locals, takes a terminally fevered imagination to conceive. 

If they came from a better place why didn't they just stay there, or maybe living in the UK's wet cold soulless urban nightmare was not actually a better place.

IMHO They came because it was cheap totty and beer in the sunshine. Brexit (mainly) has put paid to the cheap bit of that of course.

Your friends in Pattaya are not expats, none of the retirees, pensioners or tourists are. Expats work for a living.

Nevertheless, your boozing buddies enrich the economies of Thai cities and villages. It does not matter why they are here, they are still bringing in cash to local businesses and people. Unlike immigrants in UK who sponge off the benefits system and drain & strain the national infrastructure. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Your friends in Pattaya are not expats, none of the retirees, pensioners or tourists are. Expats work for a living.

Nevertheless, your boozing buddies enrich the economies of Thai cities and villages. It does not matter why they are here, they are still bringing in cash to local businesses and people. Unlike immigrants in UK who sponge off the benefits system and drain & strain the national infrastructure. 

No idea about your comments re: Nigel Garvie's friends, but if it is as accurate as your last sentence please forgive us for ignoring it as not only propaganda, but entirely false.  I have a lot more respect for those who wish to leave who tell the truth.

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/recent-releases/8747673d-3b26-439b-9693-0e250df6dbba

European migrants living in the UK contribute £2,300 more to public purse each year than the average adult, suggesting a net contribution of £78,000 to the exchequer over their lifespan in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/european-immigrants-contribute-5bn-to-uk-economy-but-non-eu-migrants-cost-118bn-9840170.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24813467

Edited by Slip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Loiner said:

and with all the changes to the visa rules it would appear they,re not wanted,only the rich ones.

11 minutes ago, kingdong said:

"suggesting"[slips previous post ] that one word says it all,contribute 5bn to the "uk economy"? another load of crap,most of them send the majority of their money back to their homelands,fair play to them,but what effect is this having on our economy?,also it would appear a lot of migrant [eu and others] are working in the gig economies ,how much a week is being paid out every week in tax and rent credits?also family allowance,where a person can come to the uk and claim family allowance for their children back home.? see the last"report" came from "aunty beeb" about right.

You focus in on the word "suggesting" in the quoted report, which follows a logical understandable inference, then you trump that with "also it would appear" with reference to the behaviour of migrants with zero evidence in support.  This is the exactly the type of behaviour I'm objecting to.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

over 2 million eu migrants in the uk,what do,es that tell you about their countries,i,m not gloating,just glad we,re out of it,so they won,t be able to take the piss out of us any longer,and if it do,es collapse they won,t take us down with them,portugese dustman?if you drive around south london from vauxhall to clapham you,d think you was in portugal,and don,t worry about the austrian baker they,ve all got a bit of dough stashed.

What does this stat say about the UK then?  It's a much higher percentage of the population.

1.3 million people born in the UK live in other EU countries, according to 2017 estimates from the United Nations (UN).

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/

Funnily enough my folks live in Portugal and love it, but they wouldn't be reflected in the figures quoted as officially they are still resident in the UK, so the 1.3 million figure is under-counted by at least 2.