BANGKOK
snoop1130

Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll

5 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Thanks Nigel - the world's problems have never been solved  by hate,division and the rich getting richer which is where we are now. Just finished watching a brilliant movie/documentary on Noam Chomsky where he says for Us and the western world the 50 and 60 s were the greatest time ever in redistribution of wealth from the capital owning class to the working class and there was indeed an American Dream. But in the 70s and then 80s the fightback of capital began - Reagan/Thatcher , the demonization of organised labour the privatisation of much of the common held services and the increasing financialization of the economy which went from a service to business to being the biggest business. And that capital had to change the model of increasing wealth,power and freedom in the working classes. The 'populism' trope that is now the biggest game in town is a boon to the rich who have never been richer and have never taken away more of the financial gains of the mass of western populations. 'Immigrants' have always been and will always be the easiest way to sow division and create anger rather than look up at who is really stealing their hopes and future......

I have read a fair bit of Chomsky, and broadly agree with his views, although he does loose the plot a bit occasionally nowadays. His defense of Corbyn was largely hyperbole. His former student Steven Pinker, although dry by comparison, is more measured, and produces much more statistical evidence to back up what he says. The New Enlightenment is a great book. It is also rather positive about the progress we have made is the last 100 years. This view is not popular amongst the people who are convinced that everything is getting worse, although of course for some it inevitably is.

It is possible that many of the Brexiteers that discuss things here and elsewhere, are involved in huge tax avoidance schemes, and/or have (Like Cameron's dad) got tens of 1000s of pounds stuffed away in the Cayman islands. If so then they are at least acting logically to protect their wealth. Somehow I suspect this is not the case, and they will wake up one day to realize that they have been mugged. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate
"However, the term 'expatriate' is also used for retirees and others who have chosen to live outside their native country."

I'm an expat and retired. 

Nope. We know who expats are and retirees are not, even if you would like to think you are.
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2019 at 11:30 PM, Loiner said:

Nope. We know who expats are and retirees are not, even if you would like to think you are.

How full of oneself does somebody have to be to take a position contrary to the that of the Cambridge English Dictionary? Full to overflowing, I'd say.

"someone who does not live in their own country:"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/expatriate

How full of oneself does somebody have to be to take a position contrary to the that of the Cambridge English Dictionary? Full to overflowing, I'd say.
"someone who does not live in their own country:"
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/expatriate

Yep, full of it and more accurately that your dictionary. What other sources would you like to quote, The Grauniad or The Undependant?
  • Like 1

Troll post removed.

I am on my way back to the UK now I just worked out that in my local Wetherspoons it will be between 56 - 81 THB for a pint of real ale.I don't know what to make of that to tell the truth.Apart from I can't see me going abroad for years what's the point when it will break the bank and I have seen it all before.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I am on my way back to the UK now I just worked out that in my local Wetherspoons it will be between 56 - 81 THB for a pint of real ale.I don't know what to make of that to tell the truth.Apart from I can't see me going abroad for years what's the point when it will break the bank and I have seen it all before.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Don't forget though, you will die after 31 October because all the UK's food supplies will stuck in Calais, there will be no electricity and there will be violent street protests in every leafy village in England; Scotland will be closed and the Irish will keep all there potatoes.

The one saving grace for you is that your Wetherspoons pint will probably only be 5 Baht as a result of the Pound crashing to 20 Baht and Tim Martin discounting all his beers by 50%.

Actually, ....... I might come back myself.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, St George said:

The one saving grace for you is that your Wetherspoons pint will probably only be 5 Baht as a result of the Pound crashing to 20 Baht and Tim Martin discounting all his beers by 50%.

I changed pounds last week at 37.2, so of course this week it's gone up to 37.7.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

The reason for the uptick being that there's been some renewed hope that Parliament can stop Brexit.

Exactly. The money markets (and rating agencies) that had no problem with the events leading up to the '08 crash, are now determined (for the same reasons) that brexit must be stopped....

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Exactly. The money markets (and rating agencies) that had no problem with the events leading up to the '08 crash, are now determined that brexit must be stopped....

Sure. Because these people are acting in a huge conspiracy. Nothing at all to do with how they perceive risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

They got it very wrong previously ('08 crash) and there's no reason to believe they again have no idea, but of course are following their own personal/financial interests.

Sorry to 'bang on' about this - but the 'experts' and financial world got it VERY wrong prior to the '08 crash....

And yet expect us to believe that they are no longer beholdened to their own financial interests - this time they are knowledgeable and unbiased, certainly not swayed by their own financial interests 🤣!

Are you seriously claiming that the money market traders got it wrong about the effects of the brexit vote? Really?

• Like 1

The reason for the uptick being that there's been some renewed hope that Parliament can stop Brexit.
No its not,it because Merkal gave Boris 30 days to change things regarding the Irish border.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app