Jump to content

Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

I have a real increasing hatred of Johnson and his right-wing henchmen/women.

And we thought politicians in this part of the world were selfish, lying, ba*&a%ds !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Denim said:

Fantastic news for Brit expats thinking of going home because of more stringent visa rules.

 

Wow. I left the UK a relative poor man. If only we can get the pound down to 25 again I can go home the conquering hero !

Wonder if that was the expat brexiteer’s cunning plan all along?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elliss said:

 

 This is just a practice run ,  prepare  for the big drop.

    Cut your loses , and transfer your money over now i have, ouch..

   Project fact,  gbp is finished .

 

IMO the pound will be no lower on Valentine's day than it is today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

I have a real increasing hatred of Johnson and his right-wing henchmen/women.

And we thought politicians in this part of the world were selfish, lying, ba*&a%ds !!!

The same can be said re Dom-the-weasel & Co in t'other direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Written from an extreme left wing point of view.  There was a referendum in which more people voted to leave than remain.  Get over it and move on.  More votes wins, it's called democracy, try practicing it. 

The advisory referendum decided nothing - just advised Parliament which decides. Parliament is supposed to decide in the national interest. Please explain why you believe brexit, which on all the evidence is bad for us in any shape but disastrous in "no deal" version, is in our interests? Significant that BJ if he gets his no deal wants a general election the next day before the chaos arrives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, david555 said:

Borrowed it from someone picturing it on evening Pattaya nigh street TT Exchanges 

2019-08-08_213226.png

The graph shows continuing anxiety about the value of these Western heavily-indebted economies. And the slide continues today, even though the bank of Thailand has just reduced rates.

The Thai Central reserves of foreign currency measured in billions of dollars, 218. Growth is nearing 3%, inflation is subdued, there is little unemployment.

Those who may criticism of the Thai economy are trounced by the facts, those removed a savings here made a smart move.

 

Of course the future of the Thai economy is in doubt, as are the futures of all economies, given the current state of world affairs.  But in relative terms, the baht seems like a safe place to be.

 If you think that the system is in danger of meltdown, well then everyone will retreat to the dollar and the Thai baht will lose out and maybe you should be buying gold. But if you think the can will be kicked down the road or that it is possible to make fixes to keep things going, if you don't particularly want to fight the Fed, then the baht seems like a good place to be and this graph would give you confidence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MartinKal said:

The graph shows continuing anxiety about the value of these Western heavily-indebted economies. And the slide continues today, even though the bank of Thailand has just reduced rates.

The Thai Central reserves of foreign currency measured in billions of dollars, 218. Growth is nearing 3%, inflation is subdued, there is little unemployment.

Those who may criticism of the Thai economy are trounced by the facts, those removed a savings here made a smart move.

 

Of course the future of the Thai economy is in doubt, as are the futures of all economies, given the current state of world affairs.  But in relative terms, the baht seems like a safe place to be.

 If you think that the system is in danger of meltdown, well then everyone will retreat to the dollar and the Thai baht will lose out and maybe you should be buying gold. But if you think the can will be kicked down the road or that it is possible to make fixes to keep things going, if you don't particularly want to fight the Fed, then the baht seems like a good place to be and this graph would give you confidence.

Well ….for buying gold I agree for a 1/3 of possessions … only …. a little bit late to do now , if you see the Thai Gold Baht pricing …..  in 2009 I knew the gold baht price at 13800 baht   … and then many say Gold does not make profit …. agreed , but then I say "paper" must loose value then …., Gold can not be printed ...but on paper they (Governments  ) can be printed any "value lie" 

They knew why leaving the gold standard....

2019-08-09_081654.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingdong said:

would love to fast forward and see the state of the eu in 5 years time[if there is one]

Gloating over something that hasn't yet happened, and is unlikely to happen anyway, seems a rather unwise thing to do. Do you actually wish economic harm to the ordinary people of other European countries, if so then why? What has the Austrian baker, or the Portuguese dustman ever done to you?

 

One thing for certain is that we have messed up big time with the £ fast becoming worthless, maybe it helps us feel better if we focus elsewhere, even if it is a fantasy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

If you got 150k in USD currency right now in UK bank what do you do?

 

Hold hold hold and cash in when?

 

 

There is little doubt that the US$ is a world-wide currency, that is currently under pressure by a very strong Thai baht. I certainly would hold it, though as, IMO, the pound will fall further than the US$. I expect £ to exchange at around 33-5 to the baht as Brexit day nears, but I don't believe it would go below 30 even if there's a no-deal exit, because UK economic fundamentals are solid, being the fifth largest global economy.  That could never implode in the short-term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its the uncertainty contributing to the sterling decline. When brexit is finally declared the uncertainty will end and the pound should start to rise again as sure as the Euro will decline.

Its nothing to do with uncertainty - that's the brexiteer word to divert from what's staring them in the face. Millions of spreadsheets would have been created since the referendum and they point to carnage. The markets aren't stupid, they know what's coming.

 

Its everything to do with a no deal Brexit - if that is declared you can kiss goodbye to the pound recovery, as the uncertainty will be just beginning. Cut out of EU trading deals with NOTHING to replace it. We will have the negotiating position of a lame duck with our big bad neighbour, the EU, undercutting us every step of the way.

 

Brexit has trashed the pound - anyone who thinks otherwise needs a frontal lobotomy! Brexiteers have to take full responsibility for that.

 

STILL waiting for a brexiteer to tell us why the pound isn''t going UP if Brexit is a good idea …….(5th request I think)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flossie35 said:

The advisory referendum decided nothing - just advised Parliament which decides. Parliament is supposed to decide in the national interest. Please explain why you believe brexit, which on all the evidence is bad for us in any shape but disastrous in "no deal" version, is in our interests? Significant that BJ if he gets his no deal wants a general election the next day before the chaos arrives.

And you expect a rational answer?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MartinKal said:

The graph shows continuing anxiety about the value of these Western heavily-indebted economies. And the slide continues today, even though the bank of Thailand has just reduced rates.

The Thai Central reserves of foreign currency measured in billions of dollars, 218. Growth is nearing 3%, inflation is subdued, there is little unemployment.

Those who may criticism of the Thai economy are trounced by the facts, those removed a savings here made a smart move.

 

Of course the future of the Thai economy is in doubt, as are the futures of all economies, given the current state of world affairs.  But in relative terms, the baht seems like a safe place to be.

 If you think that the system is in danger of meltdown, well then everyone will retreat to the dollar and the Thai baht will lose out and maybe you should be buying gold. But if you think the can will be kicked down the road or that it is possible to make fixes to keep things going, if you don't particularly want to fight the Fed, then the baht seems like a good place to be and this graph would give you confidence.

Good post with the exception the yen has always been the currency for flight (or meltdowns) and the baht is now being seen as a similar safe haven and won't be losing out anytime soon.

 

If the world globally hits some major snags, economical or warlike, expect the baht to strengthen. The only thing that will hurt the baht is an interior 'meltdown' and thats currently being stitched up too. Not looking good currency wise I'm afraid (unless you hold baht of course)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...