Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Its nothing to do with uncertainty - that's the brexiteer word to divert from what's staring them in the face. Millions of spreadsheets would have been created since the referendum and they point to carnage. The markets aren't stupid, they know what's coming.

Its everything to do with a no deal Brexit - if that is declared you can kiss goodbye to the pound recovery, as the uncertainty will be just beginning. Cut out of EU trading deals with NOTHING to replace it. We will have the negotiating position of a lame duck with our big bad neighbour, the EU, undercutting us every step of the way.

Brexit has trashed the pound - anyone who thinks otherwise needs a frontal lobotomy! Brexiteers have to take full responsibility for that.

STILL waiting for a brexiteer to tell us why the pound isn''t going UP if Brexit is a good idea …….(5th request I think)

Absolutely no point in stating the obvious. A no-deal catastrophe for the UK just doesn't register with some. However, I am confident that a free-trade deal with the EU would occur whatever the outcome, because it's in both the EU and the UK's interest to agree.  How they fudge that, will be most interesting...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Its nothing to do with uncertainty - that's the brexiteer word to divert from what's staring them in the face. Millions of spreadsheets would have been created since the referendum and they point to carnage. The markets aren't stupid, they know what's coming.

Its everything to do with a no deal Brexit - if that is declared you can kiss goodbye to the pound recovery, as the uncertainty will be just beginning. Cut out of EU trading deals with NOTHING to replace it. We will have the negotiating position of a lame duck with our big bad neighbour, the EU, undercutting us every step of the way.

Brexit has trashed the pound - anyone who thinks otherwise needs a frontal lobotomy! Brexiteers have to take full responsibility for that.

Anyone who thinks that may well already have had a frontal lobotomy. 

It reminds me of that old chestnut:-

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy

12 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

There is little doubt that the US$ is a world-wide currency, that is currently under pressure by a very strong Thai baht. I certainly would hold it, though as, IMO, the pound will fall further than the US$. I expect £ to exchange at around 33-5 to the baht as Brexit day nears, but I don't believe it would go below 30 even if there's a no-deal exit, because UK economic fundamentals are solid, being the fifth largest global economy.  That could never implode in the short-term.

But it could - it would only take a Soros type character to spook the pigeons and most fund managers (perhaps not the better ones from independent houses) would follow like lemmings. Their fund rules would mean they have to. Fear gathers moss at an alarming rate on the markets once it has momentum.

Which economic fundamentals are you taking about ? - the ones we have now are as a member of the largest trading block in the world. You are in for a rude awakening if you think going it alone is going to be seamless. 

As I've said before, the UK is in a terrible negotiating position now as everyone knows they are desperate for deals, deals that can take decades to tie up. The UK will be prostituting itself for many years to come.

12 hours ago, elliss said:

This is just a practice run ,  prepare  for the big drop.

Cut your loses , and transfer your money over now i have, ouch..

Project fact,  gbp is finished .

Glad you weren't around in 1939.

Hoist the white flag,

'We're doomed, doomed I tell you!' was the cry of the remainers as they take them all off to the funny farm.

32 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Bangkok Bank telegraphic transfer exchange rate for Sterling is now 36.90 Bt.

All Thai banks Transfer rate

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

2019-08-09_111329.png

15 hours ago, fishtank said:

Well done Boris and the extremists.

Doing a great job.

Stuff the UK as long as you achieve your extreme right wing objectives. :bah:

would you also want to blame Germany's recent appalling manufacturing statistics on BREXIT and extreme right wing extremists ?

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its the uncertainty contributing to the sterling decline. When brexit is finally declared the uncertainty will end and the pound should start to rise again as sure as the Euro will decline.

from rock bottom it can only do two things, raise or stay put, may well raise but how far?

I doubt it will raise much if it is a no deal, certainly nothing close to the pre referendum level...

15 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Written from an extreme left wing point of view.  There was a referendum in which more people voted to leave than remain.  Get over it and move on.  More votes wins, it's called democracy, try practicing it. 

Still refusing to accept that the referendum was advisory, which under the British Constitution is could only ever be, and that it advised a small majority of those who voted wanted to leave the EU.

It was parliaments job to debate this and if they decided that they would indeed leave to negotiate the most appropriate deal for the country. Their overriding responsibility is to make decisions based on the long term interests of the whole country. To represent everyone no matter how they voted or didn't in an advisory referendum. Not to represent the interests of pressure groups within the Tory party who represent the interests of a very very small slice of the population. 

Parliament has failed miserable so far.

31 minutes ago, Basil B said:

from rock bottom it can only do two things, raise or stay put, may well raise but how far?

I doubt it will raise much if it is a no deal, certainly nothing close to the pre referendum level...

I attended a seminar yesterday. The forecast there was 1 GBP - $US 1.13 if no deal Brexit; $US 1.34 if soft Brexit with deal. 

Only one company's forecast of course.

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Gloating over something that hasn't yet happened, and is unlikely to happen anyway, seems a rather unwise thing to do. Do you actually wish economic harm to the ordinary people of other European countries, if so then why? What has the Austrian baker, or the Portuguese dustman ever done to you?

One thing for certain is that we have messed up big time with the £ fast becoming worthless, maybe it helps us feel better if we focus elsewhere, even if it is a fantasy. 

I hate Austrian bakers and Portuguese dustmen. No problems with anybody else, though! ????

I have a real increasing hatred of Johnson and his right-wing henchmen/women.
And we thought politicians in this part of the world were selfish, lying, ba*&a%ds !!!

I love him even more. Hatred for comrade Corbyn and his leftist power grabbing antics increases.

9 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its the uncertainty contributing to the sterling decline. When brexit is finally declared the uncertainty will end and the pound should start to rise again as sure as the Euro will decline.

Thank you, clairvoyant, for this nonsense 

So a Ponzi is fair too? Somebody promises that everybody becomes super rich and at the end only few become rich because everything was a huge lie. But the people decided (democratic) that they give the money. Or the grandma who was cheated by a fake policeman. But she decided to give him her money from her free will. All could find in the internet that they will be cheated but everything sounds so real, so they believe everything. Same as the Brexiteers. 

Ponzi promised riches? Don’t think you understand what Brexit is all about.

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Absolutely no point in stating the obvious. A no-deal catastrophe for the UK just doesn't register with some. However, I am confident that a free-trade deal with the EU would occur whatever the outcome, because it's in both the EU and the UK's interest to agree.  How they fudge that, will be most interesting...

And if a free trade agreement comes about, why wouldn't every economically strong EU nation want to do the same? You get the most important perk, and you get it for free.

Moved my business to mainland Europe and now operate from there using the Euro and US dollars.  Made a good positive difference financially and I simply change Euros for Sterling for living expenses.  Still living in the UK but with much less pressure than before.  When the pound finally recovers in years to come I can easily revert although I will probably be retired in Spain by then.

19 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Written from an extreme left wing point of view.  There was a referendum in which more people voted to leave than remain.  Get over it and move on.  More votes wins, it's called democracy, try practicing it. 

Which form of "Leave"? Execute all opposants, or ... or... only commercial suicide or … 

REAL democracy also take in view the interests of minorities. And 48,11 % .. is no longer a minority...

6 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

But it could - it would only take a Soros type character to spook the pigeons and most fund managers (perhaps not the better ones from independent houses) would follow like lemmings. Their fund rules would mean they have to. Fear gathers moss at an alarming rate on the markets once it has momentum.

Which economic fundamentals are you taking about ? - the ones we have now are as a member of the largest trading block in the world. You are in for a rude awakening if you think going it alone is going to be seamless. 

As I've said before, the UK is in a terrible negotiating position now as everyone knows they are desperate for deals, deals that can take decades to tie up. The UK will be prostituting itself for many years to come.

Sorry, I don't agree with you. And I'm not going to argue my point, because your opinion is probably the worst scenario that could occur. So let's drop this debate and see what actually is the reality.

I'll give you one clue. No way is both the EU and the UK going to commit financial suicide - it just won't happen.

27 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Sorry, I don't agree with you. And I'm not going to argue my point, because your opinion is probably the worst scenario that could occur. So let's drop this debate and see what actually is the reality.

I'll give you one clue. No way is both the EU and the UK going to commit financial suicide - it just won't happen.

Financial suicide is BEING committed - its all about the extent.

16 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Financial suicide is BEING committed - its all about the extent.

Actually, it's not. If you cannot understand basic economics, then I can't help you. And don't for one moment I think exiting the EU is not going to be an economic disaster, but the extent of that, IMO, is not suicide. Mainly because the UK is the 5th global economy and by virtue of that, we will take a hit, sure, but like 2008, we'll survive that.

Now can we drop this, as we're on the same page.  

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

And if a free trade agreement comes about, why wouldn't every economically strong EU nation want to do the same? You get the most important perk, and you get it for free.

Basically, because it would be in both parties interest to reach a compromise. Sometimes, I find remainers as stupid as leavers in understanding basic economic facts of life. 

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Thank you, clairvoyant, for this nonsense 

like a bunch of paranoid jim jones cultists are brexiteers now

the cyanide laced flavor-aid is being poured out but they're still her blaming

everything from 'remoaners' to the colour of yingluck shinawatra's earrings. 

'We are committing an act of revolutionary suicide protesting the conditions of an inhumane world'

22 hours ago, Denim said:

Fantastic news for Brit expats thinking of going home because of more stringent visa rules.

Wow. I left the UK a relative poor man. If only we can get the pound down to 25 again I can go home the conquering hero !

I wonder how many British pensionario's are "pulling their hair out" as regret for their Brexit = whatever consequenses, repercussions etc.. LEAVE ! ( and as nu THB 65k/ month… yes, the same.. LEAVE ! )

And when forex traders or importers/exporters starts to be caught by fear, they will DUMP the British currency and postpone buying till the edge. Result: British Pound.. up to one "ounce".

image.png.0d627fa4f9164a4a8fe77e2d41fcfbd5.png

21 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Which form of "leave"? Leave whatever consequences ? Voters were promised the "heaven on earth".. but saw their purchasing power sink from € 1,40 to now.. € 1,0769. No deal? 1 on a million, Boris the Liar said, knowing.. he stears towards the opposite...

Waiter… one cola, 4 straws…. 

Archived