Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll

snoop1130

11 hours ago, JRG23 said:

I have a real increasing hatred of Johnson and his right-wing henchmen/women.

And we thought politicians in this part of the world were selfish, lying, ba*&a%ds !!!

The British voted for then, overwhelmingly, with 51,88%...

And Brexit Now… 30,52 % of the votes, so.. according British democracy 29 of the 73 seats = 39,73%

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, fishtank said:

Well done Boris and the extremists.

Doing a great job.

Stuff the UK as long as you achieve your extreme right wing objectives. :bah:

The extremists. You mean the 17.4 million that voted to leave.

Right wing objectives. You mean deliver democracy by delivering the result of the majority of the British people.

He is doing a great job, so far by doing both of those things.

Another one who doesn't like to deliver if the results go the other way.

8 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Absolutely no point in stating the obvious. A no-deal catastrophe for the UK just doesn't register with some. However, I am confident that a free-trade deal with the EU would occur whatever the outcome, because it's in both the EU and the UK's interest to agree.  How they fudge that, will be most interesting...

no, no, no, no, no, no  ( not my opinion nor whish, but the outcome of the HoC )

british voting.jpg

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I attended a seminar yesterday. The forecast there was 1 GBP - $US 1.13 if no deal Brexit; $US 1.34 if soft Brexit with deal. 

Only one company's forecast of course.

Mid 80's I followed a 13 day course in international affairs, for a big part about currency ( strength).

At the end one of the students thanked the prof, and asked: "but.. can you also tell what the exchange rate of the US$ towards the EU currencies will be next week?

His answer: "these kinds of questions, you should not ask at the Faculty of Economics but at the Faculty of Psychology".

The sad thing is, that the most important export product for the UK is cars. But who is leaving/wants to leave? The car Industrie. Right now the UK is number 9 or 10 in the world of the largest industrial nations. If they´ll loose 90% of the car Industrie (Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar and McLaren will stay perhaps), they will decrease to number 20. If Airbus will leave the UK (they talked about it) and many banks bring parts of their business to the EU, the UK will decrease more. 

Oh, and if Scotland will leave, the UK will also loose it´s oil exports. 

2.JPG

5 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Did they really? I don’t remember that.
Maybe there would have been a landslide for Leave if they did.

Yes, they promised - including a health system with a lot of money.

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

The sad thing is, that the most important export product for the UK is cars. But who is leaving/wants to leave? The car Industrie. Right now the UK is number 9 or 10 in the world of the largest industrial nations. If they´ll loose 90% of the car Industrie (Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar and McLaren will stay perhaps), they will decrease to number 20. If Airbus will leave the UK (they talked about it) and many banks bring parts of their business to the EU, the UK will decrease more. 

Oh, and if Scotland will leave, the UK will also loose it´s oil exports. 

1. ASTON MARTIN (FORD, USA. INVESTMENT DAR, KUWAIT. INVESTINDUSTRIAL, ITALY.)

2. BENTLEY (VOLKSWAGEN, GERMANY)

3. JAGUAR + LAND ROVER (TATA, INDIA)

4. LOTUS (PROTON, MALAYSIA)

5. MG (SAIC, CHINA)

6. MINI + ROLLS-ROYCE (BMW, GERMANY)

7. VAUXHALL (GM, USA)

8. MORGAN (MORGAN, UK)..  In their own words – “The last remaining FAMILY OWNED, independent, innovative British motor manufacturer.”

There are still four British-owned car companies, Bristol, Morgan, Caterham and McLaren .

As about every economist and industry observer warned the British for since 2015 

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

I love him even more. Hatred for comrade Corbyn and his leftist power grabbing antics increases.

THE problem with a 2-partydemocracy. it is OR US.,. or the mortal enemy. See also the USA.

Hopefully LibDem will be the biggest ( 21 (LibDem) -20 (Brexit Now)-20 (Labour)-20(Cons)-19 (others) in 50% +1 of the baronies ( constituencies), as will have the government then with 50+1 seat and.. the dictator till next general elections. Called: British democracy.

12 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

1. ASTON MARTIN (FORD, USA. INVESTMENT DAR, KUWAIT. INVESTINDUSTRIAL, ITALY.)

2. BENTLEY (VOLKSWAGEN, GERMANY)

3. JAGUAR + LAND ROVER (TATA, INDIA)

4. LOTUS (PROTON, MALAYSIA)

5. MG (SAIC, CHINA)

6. MINI + ROLLS-ROYCE (BMW, GERMANY)

7. VAUXHALL (GM, USA)

8. MORGAN (MORGAN, UK)..  In their own words – “The last remaining FAMILY OWNED, independent, innovative British motor manufacturer.”

There are still four British-owned car companies, Bristol, Morgan, Caterham and McLaren .

As about every economist and industry observer warned the British for since 2015 

Vauxhall belongs to the French PSA Company. Tata, the owner of Jaguar, wants to stay in the UK. 

19 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its the uncertainty contributing to the sterling decline. When brexit is finally declared the uncertainty will end and the pound should start to rise again as sure as the Euro will decline.

May i humbly suggest , you change your medication , too many side effects ...

12 hours ago, neverceasetobeamazed said:

Glad you weren't around in 1939.

Hoist the white flag,

'We're doomed, doomed I tell you!' was the cry of the remainers as they take them all off to the funny farm.

Wow , Ten posts under your belt , your due for upgrade...

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

IMO the pound will be no lower on Valentine's day than it is today.

It is with great regret , i have to agree with you .

Project fact ,  gbp / 30 , that is my projected budget plan , before year ending . 

Any lower , and i am out of land of smiles , sorry my darling....

As an Aussie I know our dollars slide has nothing to do with Brexit. What are all the Brits going to say when,Brexit or not, the pound continues to drop?

I'm no economist but I reckon the smart people have taken all the uncertainty into account and what you see is what you get. 

Hopefully this fiasco will be over soon and the people really feeling the pinch i.e. expat pensioners (not me)  in Thailand can get back to sorting out their finances and lives. People dreaming of 70 baht to the pound are just that dreamers. The only way the exchange rate will improve is if the baht drops, not the pound or the aussie dollar improves, and that is not likely in the short term given the current situation.

I read earlier about a married guy on a british pension getting about 35,000 baht a month. If the pound jumped up 10% he'd get what...38,500 a month? He needs 40,000 to satisfy his extension of stay, in other words at least another 5000 baht. The pound will have to increase by over 14% to keep him here? If my maths are right that's about 42.5 baht on todays rate of 37.14. Doable? Who knows?

This is just for 'fun' if you are at all scared look away at pound baht projections. But remember folks it's your democratic votes that count folks.  31 baht by Christmas and then year on year down down down. For Bob the Brit Builder the dream of retiring in Thailand is well and truly dead and buried. Poor old Kev-In-Thailand is promoting 4.5k apartments in the middle of nowhere East Pattaya on his channel as an option for the down and out Brits trying to 'live the dream'. 

p.s Boris Johnson is PM say it very slowly and look in the mirror this is our PM. WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YE WE'RE ALL DOOMED......but a good job we all have a sense of humour. 

http://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

To note in this clip the last act was Ukrainian dancers (all born in this country he was happy to add) and the clapometer studio vote went to State Affair - all a very spooky coincidence. Maybe I can foretell the future....

18 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Actually, it's not. If you cannot understand basic economics, then I can't help you. And don't for one moment I think exiting the EU is not going to be an economic disaster, but the extent of that, IMO, is not suicide. Mainly because the UK is the 5th global economy and by virtue of that, we will take a hit, sure, but like 2008, we'll survive that.

Now can we drop this, as we're on the same page.  

Thanks for the concern but having spent a career in related areas I'm unlikely to need it. We are the 5th largest NOW - absolutely irrelevant once November 1st gets here. 

So 1 trillion gone from London isn't self harm ?

2.1 billion on Brexit leaflets isn't self harm ?

Chucking away every trade deal in its current form with the largest trading block in the world isn't self harm ?

Having absolutely zilch trade deals lined up isn't self harm ?

Could list so so many more - yet bizarrely brexiteers can' come up with any specifics for the new dawn.

Of course the UK isn't going to close down - but once the rest of the world has stopped laughing at us we're going to be in a far worse place. 

It is death by a thousand cuts.

9 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

This is just for 'fun' if you are at all scared look away at pound baht projections. But remember folks it's your democratic votes that count folks.  31 baht by Christmas and then year on year down down down. For Bob the Brit Builder the dream of retiring in Thailand is well and truly dead and buried. Poor old Kev-In-Thailand is promoting 4.5k apartments in the middle of nowhere East Pattaya on his channel as an option for the down and out Brits trying to 'live the dream'. 

p.s Boris Johnson is PM say it very slowly and look in the mirror this is our PM. WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YE WE'RE ALL DOOMED......but a good job we all have a sense of humour. 

http://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

To note in this clip the last act was Ukrainian dancers (all born in this country he was happy to add) and the clapometer studio vote went to State Affair - all a very spooky coincidence. Maybe I can foretell the future....

Was  that clapometer actually accurate ? Always wondered that

15 hours ago, Loiner said:

Love it. The Remainers who claim that Brexiteers can’t agree on how to Leave, now can’t agree about how their financial suicide should come.

Financial suicide of Johnson's no-deal scenario, caused by leaver voters, you mean.   About time you got your head straight.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Change the bloody record................... blaming the electorate for everything just makes you look stupid.

He's not blaming the electorate, he's blaming Johnson for his reckless and dangerous No Deal policy.

31 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Thanks for the concern but having spent a career in related areas I'm unlikely to need it. We are the 5th largest NOW - absolutely irrelevant once November 1st gets here. 

So 1 trillion gone from London isn't self harm ?

2.1 billion on Brexit leaflets isn't self harm ?

Chucking away every trade deal in its current form with the largest trading block in the world isn't self harm ?

Having absolutely zilch trade deals lined up isn't self harm ?

Could list so so many more - yet bizarrely brexiteers can' come up with any specifics for the new dawn.

Of course the UK isn't going to close down - but once the rest of the world has stopped laughing at us we're going to be in a far worse place. 

It is death by a thousand cuts.

Of course we're going to be in a worse place. That's a given. What's not known is how much of a hole and how long it would take to climb out of it.

As to trade deals, while I agree this is the current reality - and probably would continue for the next five years minimum - there has been recent government economic stats to demonstrate that had we been trading freely outside the EU's restrictions in the last few years, our GDP would have grown faster than any EU country, even Germany.

It's my opinion, if there's any consolation in exiting the EU, it's the prospect of at least one economic forecast being positive, albeit how long it takes would depend on leavers getting off their backsides and doing something beneficial in bringing the UK back on its feet, instead of blaming the EU and remainers ad infinitum for what was caused by their referendum vote. 

1 minute ago, bannork said:

He's not blaming the electorate, he's blaming Johnson for his reckless and dangerous No Deal policy.

I never thought comprehension was an issue for you Bannork......................" caused by leaver voters, you mean"..... sounds unequivocal to me.

In any event your side is crediting Boris with too much. It is not his no deal. No deal will come about because (a) parliament couldn't agree the deal offered by the EU and (b) the EU are seemingly unprepared to negotiate further....... Oh, and also because of this democratic act:-

image.png.77aa244a42e7e84929d9340a152314bb.png

Archived