Sterling rout not yet over as no-deal Brexit odds jump - Reuters poll

snoop1130

On 8/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, Loiner said:

I love him even more. Hatred for comrade Corbyn and his leftist power grabbing antics increases.

Thanks to Corbyn and his non existent oppostion , to this  incompetent UK goverment .

Tory party , have never had it so easy.  Corbyn is their saviour .

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

It decided the deal is bad but also decided that they want to have a deal - but no idea which kind of deal. If the parliament would vote "no deal" they can leave tomorrow and they could be out since March or before. 

I think we agree...... to leave with a deal parliament need a deal that is acceptable. It is not about what parliament wants, it is about what the EU are prepared to offer - at the moment, nothing more.

The impasse therefore rests with the EU - they are pulling the strings and are the only side that vary the ‘offer’. IMO they don’t want to help to construct an acceptable deal (the May/EU deal never was) .

That leaves no deal if Brexit is to be achieved. 

Glad you weren't around in 1939.
Hoist the white flag,
'We're doomed, doomed I tell you!' was the cry of the remainers as they take them all off to the funny farm.
There it is the Big problem half The Brexit Mob still think It's WW2 or the Map is still pink.It was 75 years we won get over it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, elliss said:

Thanks to Corbyn and his non existent oppostion , to this  incompetent UK goverment .

The thing is if Corbyn had ACTUALLY campaigned vigorously for stay, shared a platform with Tories and Libs when necessary, and denounced Farage as the conman and Putin puppet that he is, then we wouldn't be in this position. As the years have gone on he has got more and more ineffective, his performances have been shallow, petty, and petulant. Furthermore he had utterly failed to be a leader, real anti semites have been let off the hook because they are big JC supporters, his politburo see all of this as a fight for left wing control of the LP, and stuff the country. In the country he is as popular as toasted sh#t with the ordinary voters, and many lifelong LP supporters hold their noses when they go into the booth to vote Labour. He can still do immense damage to the country. You are right - Farage never had a better supporter. 

I take no pleasure in saying this, he inspired a generation of young voters to join Labour, and his rehashed Tony Benn speeches, were delivered with genuine fervour. I think he may be unwell mentally, he looks unsure of himself every time he appears on TV. 

As an Aussie I know our dollars slide has nothing to do with Brexit. What are all the Brits going to say when,Brexit or not, the pound continues to drop? I'm no economist but I reckon the smart people have taken all the uncertainty into account and what you see is what you get.  Hopefully this fiasco will be over soon and the people really feeling the pinch i.e. expat pensioners (not me)  in Thailand can get back to sorting out their finances and lives. People dreaming of 70 baht to the pound are just that dreamers. The only way the exchange rate will improve is if the baht drops, not the pound or the aussie dollar improves, and that is not likely in the short term given the current situation.  

I read earlier about a married guy on a british pension getting about 35,000 baht a month. If the pound jumped up 10% he'd get what...38,500 a month? He needs 40,000 to satisfy his extension of stay, in other words at least another 5000 baht. The pound will have to increase by over 14% to keep him here? If my maths are right that's about 42.5 baht on todays rate of 37.14. Doable? Who knows?

"I read earlier about a married guy on a British pension getting about 35,000 baht a month" some of the old gits like him will probably Blame that on Romanian Builders somehow. 

I wonder what net Migration will be next year up 10%? with the all the old Gits Returning Home who is no good to anyone will The UK be at breaking point then Nigel Boy?

I wonder if you can buy Shares In JD Wetherspoons I bet they will be Buzzing. And the irony of it is they will be Drinking with all the Foreigners and then in a few years time instead of having a 40 year old Thai wife to take care of them they will have 40 year old male Romanian careers popping round once a week to wipe there bottoms.[emoji3]

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think we agree...... to leave with a deal parliament need a deal that is acceptable. It is not about what parliament wants, it is about what the EU are prepared to offer - at the moment, nothing more.

The impasse therefore rests with the EU - they are pulling the strings and are the only side that vary the ‘offer’. IMO they don’t want to help to construct an acceptable deal (the May/EU deal never was) .

That leaves no deal if Brexit is to be achieved. 

Well, the problem of the EU is, that nobody knows what the UK wants - except things like "we want to have the status of Switzerland and Norway but not the liabilities of them". There comes nothing from the UK except "no, no, no" - or unrealistic demands.

At the end the UK don´t know if they want to have a customs union with the EU or not. Some want others not. 
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-crisis-what-is-a-customs-union-11681413

Corbyn has always been unelectable. While ever he is there the LAB party Momentum and leftists are prevented from gaining power. Totally useless arse but saves the UK from LAB marxists posing as politicians.

10 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The thing is if Corbyn had ACTUALLY campaigned vigorously for stay, shared a platform with Tories and Libs when necessary, and denounced Farage as the conman and Putin puppet that he is, then we wouldn't be in this position. As the years have gone on he has got more and more ineffective, his performances have been shallow, petty, and petulant. Furthermore he had utterly failed to be a leader, real anti semites have been let off the hook because they are big JC supporters, his politburo see all of this as a fight for left wing control of the LP, and stuff the country. In the country he is as popular as toasted sh#t with the ordinary voters, and many lifelong LP supporters hold their noses when they go into the booth to vote Labour. He can still do immense damage to the country. You are right - Farage never had a better supporter. 

I take no pleasure in saying this, he inspired a generation of young voters to join Labour, and his rehashed Tony Benn speeches, were delivered with genuine fervour. I think he may be unwell mentally, he looks unsure of himself every time he appears on TV. 

Why would have Corbyn campaigned to stay when he venemently hates the EU, your suggestion doesn't make sense. Are you saying he should have gone againgst what he believes in, like he is doing now. If anybody is a puppet it is Corbyn himself, he is being worked primarily by IMO Keir Starmer, probably the only member of the Labours cabinet with a functional brain, unfortunately there are many other Labour members pulling Corbyn in every which way but loose.

The second half of your post I agree with although written in the style of Citizen Smith.

But don't forget when Corbyn finally agreed to talk with Mrs May he was strongly advocating to retain the EUs working rights for our countries workers, whilst only 4 years earlier he was, just before the EU referendum, was campainging to come out of the EU because of their terrible reputation on human rights, A 24 carat hypocrite.

11 hours ago, elliss said:
On 8/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, Loiner said:

I love him even more. Hatred for comrade Corbyn and his leftist power grabbing antics increases.

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

Corbyn has always been unelectable. While ever he is there the LAB party Momentum and leftists are prevented from gaining power. Totally useless arse but saves the UK from LAB marxists posing as politicians.

Please make your mind up, you can't be "Power grabbing" and unelectable (I don't disagree with that assessment) at the same time. If you are unelectable you can't grab power. 

1 minute ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Please make your mind up, you can't be "Power grabbing" and unelectable (I don't disagree with that assessment) at the same time. If you are unelectable you can't grab power. 

Maybe Corbyn is the only person in the country that doesn't know he is unelectable, with the exception of Len McCluskey of course.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why would have Corbyn campaigned to stay when he venemently hates the EU, your suggestion doesn't make sense. Are you saying he should have gone againgst what he believes in, like he is doing now. If anybody is a puppet it is Corbyn himself, he is being worked primarily by IMO Keir Starmer, probably the only member of the Labours cabinet with a functional brain, unfortunately there are many other Labour members pulling Corbyn in every which way but loose.

The second half of your post I agree with although written in the style of Citizen Smith.

But don't forget when Corbyn finally agreed to talk with Mrs May he was strongly advocating to retain the EUs working rights for our countries workers, whilst only 4 years earlier he was, just before the EU referendum, was campainging to come out of the EU because of their terrible reputation on human rights, A 24 carat hypocrite.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why would have Corbyn campaigned to stay when he vehemently hates the EU, your suggestion doesn't make sense. Try again.......I used the word "If", What I wrote was hypothetical,  just to highlight that he was responsible for running a campaign that was remain in name only. 

If anybody is a puppet it is Corbyn himself, he is being worked primarily by IMO Keir Starmer, probably the only member of the Labours cabinet with a functional brain, unfortunately there are many other Labour members pulling Corbyn in every which way but loose..............I agree, but IMO it is primarily Seamus Milne and Karie Murphy from the politburo who have him by the ba#ls, not Starmer.

The sky news thing is interesting, thanks for that. Sadly it confirms my opinion, Corbyn talks utter drivel. 

1) On tax havens why pick out Luxemberg,  the UK has the most tax havens in the world apparently, corporations alone are dodging $500billion in tax per year, and the UK is the worst conspirator. Why on earth do you think the glorious leaders of the Brexit movement want us to leave Europe?

2) It was the British who established the European Convention on Human Rights, we should be proud of that. 

3) Taking (With idiotic self righteousness) about the EU tearing up the social chapter, and damaging workers rights, when they have done exactly the opposite, (To the fury of Tories who don't appear to want workers to have rights) is just another sign that he is terminally stupid.

11 hours ago, Loiner said:

The Romans were the ancient equivalent of expats. They came from a better place to make improvements. They didn’t sponge off ancient Briton’s social benefits and infrastructure.

Thank you indeed, that gave me a huge laugh.

So the expats are in Thailand for example, to make improvements. The idea that the bars of Pattaya are full of gross, old, skinhead, lumps of dung, slobbering over some sad young, poor farmers daughters, from Issan, because they are Britains finest do-gooders here to improve the lives of the locals, takes a terminally fevered imagination to conceive. 

If they came from a better place why didn't they just stay there, or maybe living in the UK's wet cold soulless urban nightmare was not actually a better place.

IMHO They came because it was cheap totty and beer in the sunshine. Brexit (mainly) has put paid to the cheap bit of that of course.

Ref  - The sponging fantasy

THE GREAT IRONY is that it is money from immigrant taxes that is helpin to pay the pensions of all those TV Brexiteers who are complaining about them.

In extensive research undertaken by University College London, it was discovered that EU migrants arriving in Britain in the last decade (between 2001 to 2011) made a massive NET contribution to our Treasury of £20 billion.

During the same period, British people took out MORE from the Treasury than they put in – a deficit of a whopping £617 billion.

The same report revealed that, since most of those EU migrants came to Britain with their education already paid for, they ‘endowed the country with productive human capital that would have cost the UK £6.8bn in spending on education.’

A separate study conducted by the LSE in May 2016 concluded that:

▪ EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

In extensive research undertaken by University College London, it was discovered that EU migrants arriving in Britain in the last decade (between 2001 to 2011) made a massive NET contribution to our Treasury of £20 billion.

During the same period, British people took out MORE from the Treasury than they put in – a deficit of a whopping £617 billion.

The same report revealed that, since most of those EU migrants came to Britain with their education already paid for, they ‘endowed the country with productive human capital that would have cost the UK £6.8bn in spending on education.’

▪ EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

Here is the link https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2017/10/30/eu-migrants-give-take/

The sources for the article are government stats DWP etc, Hansard, and two academic studies.

If you don't want to believe this you could tell yourself that government departments and two universities are part of a vast conspiracy to hide the truth from you which can only be found in the Sun and the Mail.

Thank you indeed, that gave me a huge laugh. So the expats are in Thailand for example, to make improvements. The idea that the bars of Pattaya are full of gross, old, skinhead, lumps of dung, slobbering over some sad young, poor farmers daughters, from Issan, because they are Britains finest do-gooders here to improve the lives of the locals, takes a terminally fevered imagination to conceive. 

If they came from a better place why didn't they just stay there, or maybe living in the UK's wet cold soulless urban nightmare was not actually a better place.

IMHO They came because it was cheap totty and beer in the sunshine. Brexit (mainly) has put paid to the cheap bit of that of course.

Ref  - The sponging fantasy

THE GREAT IRONY is that it is money from immigrant taxes that is helpin to pay the pensions of all those TV Brexiteers who are complaining about them.

[emoji830] EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

[emoji830] EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they use public services and therefore they help to reduce the budget deficit.

Here is the link https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2017/10/30/eu-migrants-give-take/

The sources for the article are government stats DWP etc, Hansard, and two academic studies.

If you don't want to believe this you could tell yourself that government departments and two universities are part of a vast conspiracy to hide the truth from you which can only be found in the Sun and the Mail.

This is a good YouTube video on some of the same points about the truth on immigration

I always suspected this as every foreigner I knew in my town worked.And the only people spunging of the Government was some English people.  

On 8/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, puipuitom said:

Mid 80's I followed a 13 day course in international affairs, for a big part about currency ( strength).

At the end one of the students thanked the prof, and asked: "but.. can you also tell what the exchange rate of the US$ towards the EU currencies will be next week?

His answer: "these kinds of questions, you should not ask at the Faculty of Economics but at the Faculty of Psychology".

would have thought you,d be better off crossing mystic megs palm with silver and asking her.these so called "experts" cannot even predict a recession .

8 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

A cab ride to see the queen (not happening) after a no confidence vote would be an attempt at power grabbing, while still being unelectable.

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

This is a good YouTube video on some of the same points about the truth on immigration

I always suspected this as every foreigner I knew in my town worked.And the only people spunging of the Government was some English people.  

spunging ???????????????????

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Regarding that QZ.com article, the last para reads:

"Britain is estimated to have around €150 billion in assets that it purchased during its EU membership, including cash and property(paywall). On top of that, since the EU spends around €7 billion a year in Britain, so if these payments were deducted, it would reduce the final bill but a large amount."

That "large amount" might even be 100% - I do not know.

leave and knock,em

6 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Thank you indeed, that gave me a huge laugh.

So the expats are in Thailand for example, to make improvements. The idea that the bars of Pattaya are full of gross, old, skinhead, lumps of dung, slobbering over some sad young, poor farmers daughters, from Issan, because they are Britains finest do-gooders here to improve the lives of the locals, takes a terminally fevered imagination to conceive. 

Your friends in Pattaya are not expats, none of the retirees, pensioners or tourists are. Expats work for a living.

Nevertheless, your boozing buddies enrich the economies of Thai cities and villages. It does not matter why they are here, they are still bringing in cash to local businesses and people. Unlike immigrants in UK who sponge off the benefits system and drain & strain the national infrastructure. 

7 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Your friends in Pattaya are not expats, none of the retirees, pensioners or tourists are. Expats work for a living.

Nevertheless, your boozing buddies enrich the economies of Thai cities and villages. It does not matter why they are here, they are still bringing in cash to local businesses and people. Unlike immigrants in UK who sponge off the benefits system and drain & strain the national infrastructure. 

No idea about your comments re: Nigel Garvie's friends, but if it is as accurate as your last sentence please forgive us for ignoring it as not only propaganda, but entirely false.  I have a lot more respect for those who wish to leave who tell the truth.

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/recent-releases/8747673d-3b26-439b-9693-0e250df6dbba

European migrants living in the UK contribute £2,300 more to public purse each year than the average adult, suggesting a net contribution of £78,000 to the exchequer over their lifespan in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/european-immigrants-contribute-5bn-to-uk-economy-but-non-eu-migrants-cost-118bn-9840170.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24813467

6 minutes ago, Slip said:

No idea about your comments re: Nigel Garvie's friends, but if it is as accurate as your last sentence please forgive us for ignoring it as not only propaganda, but entirely false.  I have a lot more respect for those who wish to leave who tell the truth.

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/recent-releases/8747673d-3b26-439b-9693-0e250df6dbba

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/european-immigrants-contribute-5bn-to-uk-economy-but-non-eu-migrants-cost-118bn-9840170.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24813467

"suggesting"[slips previous post ] that one word says it all,contribute 5bn to the "uk economy"? another load of crap,most of them send the majority of their money back to their homelands,fair play to them,but what effect is this having on our economy?,also it would appear a lot of migrant [eu and others] are working in the gig economies ,how much a week is being paid out every week in tax and rent credits?also family allowance,where a person can come to the uk and claim family allowance for their children back home.? see the last"report" came from "aunty beeb" about right.

44 minutes ago, Loiner said:

and with all the changes to the visa rules it would appear they,re not wanted,only the rich ones.

11 minutes ago, kingdong said:

"suggesting"[slips previous post ] that one word says it all,contribute 5bn to the "uk economy"? another load of crap,most of them send the majority of their money back to their homelands,fair play to them,but what effect is this having on our economy?,also it would appear a lot of migrant [eu and others] are working in the gig economies ,how much a week is being paid out every week in tax and rent credits?also family allowance,where a person can come to the uk and claim family allowance for their children back home.? see the last"report" came from "aunty beeb" about right.

You focus in on the word "suggesting" in the quoted report, which follows a logical understandable inference, then you trump that with "also it would appear" with reference to the behaviour of migrants with zero evidence in support.  This is the exactly the type of behaviour I'm objecting to.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:59 AM, Nigel Garvie said:

Gloating over something that hasn't yet happened, and is unlikely to happen anyway, seems a rather unwise thing to do. Do you actually wish economic harm to the ordinary people of other European countries, if so then why? What has the Austrian baker, or the Portuguese dustman ever done to you?

One thing for certain is that we have messed up big time with the £ fast becoming worthless, maybe it helps us feel better if we focus elsewhere, even if it is a fantasy. 

over 2 million eu migrants in the uk,what do,es that tell you about their countries,i,m not gloating,just glad we,re out of it,so they won,t be able to take the piss out of us any longer,and if it do,es collapse they won,t take us down with them,portugese dustman?if you drive around south london from vauxhall to clapham you,d think you was in portugal,and don,t worry about the austrian baker they,ve all got a bit of dough stashed.

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

over 2 million eu migrants in the uk,what do,es that tell you about their countries,i,m not gloating,just glad we,re out of it,so they won,t be able to take the piss out of us any longer,and if it do,es collapse they won,t take us down with them,portugese dustman?if you drive around south london from vauxhall to clapham you,d think you was in portugal,and don,t worry about the austrian baker they,ve all got a bit of dough stashed.

What does this stat say about the UK then?  It's a much higher percentage of the population.

1.3 million people born in the UK live in other EU countries, according to 2017 estimates from the United Nations (UN).

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/

Funnily enough my folks live in Portugal and love it, but they wouldn't be reflected in the figures quoted as officially they are still resident in the UK, so the 1.3 million figure is under-counted by at least 2.

4 minutes ago, Slip said:

You focus in on the word "suggesting" in the quoted report, which follows a logical understandable inference, then you trump that with "also it would appear" with reference to the behaviour of migrants with zero evidence in support.  This is the exactly the type of behaviour I'm objecting to.

so why not address the points i raised re perhaps migrants are taking out more than they,re putting in instead of relying on biased reports with more slant than the leaning tower of pisa?also re "it would appear", i live and work in london,and have eyes,true i haven,t written a "report" on it,also i was referring to their work patterns, "behaviour" is your word and one i didn,t use,do you always try and put words in peoples mouths instead of responding with facts?

Archived