Chinese tourist dies after caught in strong Phuket surf

snoop1130

Chinese tourist dies after caught in strong Phuket surf

By The Phuket News

1565261983_1-org.jpg

Attempts to revive Chinese tourist Yu Gong, 40, on the beach were unsuccessful. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- A Chinese tourist has died after being pulled unconscious from the strong surf at Nai Harn Beach this afternoon (Aug 8).

The man, Yu Gong, 40, from Liaoning, China, was pulled from the water at about 4:20pm, confirmed Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos.

Mr Yu had entered the water to play with his son, Mayor Aroon told The Phuket News.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-dies-after-caught-in-strong-phuket-surf-72451.php#DCBhFqawzwMDA6d6.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-08

i got caught in a riptide at that beach, on my first trip to thailand.  luckily, i was in excellent shape at that time, and was accustomed to swimming 3-5 miles a week.  i had also read that the way to escape a riptide is not to fight it , but swim parallel to the beach, until you get out of the rip.  it worked for me. 

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

i got caught in a riptide at that beach, on my first trip to thailand.  luckily, i was in excellent shape at that time, and was accustomed to swimming 3-5 miles a week.  i had also read that the way to escape a riptide is not to fight it , but swim parallel to the beach, until you get out of the rip.  it worked for me. 

Yep, tell that to the Chinese and they will ignore you. They never take advise about anything.

They always want to be the first on the plane and the first to disembark.

Not unusual for Chinese to jump up from their seat as the plane is slowing down on the runway after landing.

Unbelievable.

Hmmm ... Lucius interesting comments???? The stats tell (across the world) that men far above females are prone to drowning.  Landlocked, or societies that culturally have little to no swimming experience or awareness (i.e. cold climate countries figure in this) are even more at risk of drowning (not rocket science to discern this).

Lack of social graces as compared to other nations as being the cause of this man entering the water as he did and getting into difficulty and drowning seems a really long bow to draw. 

Ha.. liaoning , northern China. Ancient history taught us that northern China people were well versed in horseback riding but poor in water activities like swimming and sailing due to their habitat being in mountainous regions. That was why they could not surmount the water wars against southern China. Maybe their ancient DNA is still evident in their current generation? 

Maybe he did not read up in the internet that Phuket is the watery grave where many Chinese succumbed to  ? 

Archived