Leaving Thailand with NON-IMM B and returning with NON-IMM O

Hey everyone,

I know this has been asked and answered before but not exactly for my case, so sorry if the question seems repetitive.

I'm currently working in Thailand with a work permit and a NON-IMM B visa. Next month, in September, my wife-to-be and myself are getting married. We looked up the differences and for us it would make more sense and be easier if I had a NON-IMM O visa in stead. 

I'm planning on visiting family back home in December so I contacted the consulate in my home country and explained the above to them and asked what I could prepare to get a 1-year NON-IMM O with multiple entry. The lady explained they can not give out the 1-year multiple entry visa because it's the first time I'm getting that type of visa and additionally she said "also you're not married yet" (I don't understand what she meant by that). They can only give a single entry NON-IMM O. She says when I arrive with the NON-IMM O I have to go to Immigration in Thailand to get it extended/renewed to a 1-year multiple entry.

Is this right? I've been living in Thailand for the past 2 years with extensions on my NON-IMM B. I remember when I first came to Thailand I had a single entry NON-IMM B visa too but doesn't it make a difference that I already have a 1-year multiple entry visa, my (by then) wife obviously lives in Thailand and that my home address is officially located in Thailand?

Thanks for all the help/advice/thoughts in advance! 

Sorry if it's difficult to read or for any grammar mistakes, English is not my 1st language.

Edited by Cyclenshaven
clarification

Some Thai embassies will not freely issue multiple entry Non O visas. Getting a single entry Non O and extending it in Thailand would be an option. If your job provides minimum 40,000 a month income, getting the extension of stay should not be difficult. It is also possible that there was a breakdown in communications, and they believed you would be requesting the visa before marriage. In that case, they were offering to be helpful in providing a visa to visit your fiance.

An alternative, once you are married, would be to get a multiple entry Non O at Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

• Thanks 1

If you're living in Thailand all you need is a Single Entry Non 'O' visa which gives you 90 days on entry. Then towards the end of the 90 days you apply for the 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. You can also buy a Multiple Entry Re-entry permit which allows you to come and go during that year.

Multiple Entry 'O' visas are getting harder to get as the authorities want expats living in the country to have the correct extension of stay. The consulate in your home country might have their own rules regarding visa issuance.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

Some Thai embassies will not freely issue multiple entry Non O visas. Getting a single entry Non O and extending it in Thailand would be an option. If your job provides minimum 40,000 a month income, getting the extension of stay should not be difficult. It is also possible that there was a breakdown in communications, and they believed you would be requesting the visa before marriage. In that case, they were offering to be helpful in providing a visa to visit your fiance.

An alternative, once you are married, would be to get a multiple entry Non O at Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you're living in Thailand all you need is a Single Entry Non 'O' visa which gives you 90 days on entry. Then towards the end of the 90 days you apply for the 1 year extension of stay based on marriage. You can also buy a Multiple Entry Re-entry permit which allows you to come and go during that year.

Multiple Entry 'O' visas are getting harder to get as the authorities want expats living in the country to have the correct extension of stay. The consulate in your home country might have their own rules regarding visa issuance.

Both thanks for the help and explanation. I will probably not have an income at that time as I'm looking for something else/maybe starting something with my wife, is there another way apart from the 40k Baht income to make the process easier? I saw some people here talking about needing 800k+ Baht on a bank account or is that not applicable to my situation?

2 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

I saw some people here talking about needing 800k+ Baht on a bank account or is that not applicable to my situation?

The 800k baht is for a retirement extension of stay.

For an extension based upon marriage you need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht is for a retirement extension of stay.

For an extension based upon marriage you need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

Thanks for the super fast reply, is that only for a 60 day extension or can it also be used for the 1-year multiple entry extension?

17 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Thanks for the super fast reply, is that only for a 60 day extension or can it also be used for the 1-year multiple entry extension?

400,000 for 2 months prior to applying and other documentation, sometimes different requirements, depending on your local Imm' office.

The extension 1 year will require you to buy a re-entry permit if you leave and return to Thailand. Without a re-entry on return you will get 30 days and start again.

Re-entry single 1000baht

Re-entry multi  3800baht.

Check with your local Imm' what documention they want you to supply for the extension.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

400,000 for 2 months prior to applying and other documentation, sometimes different requirements, depending on your local Imm' office.

The extension 1 year will require you to buy a re-entry permit if you leave and return to Thailand. Without a re-entry on return you will get 30 days and start again.

Re-entry single 1000baht

Re-entry multi  3800baht.

Check with your local Imm' what documention they want you to supply for the extension.

Great, thanks!

41 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

You don’t need to provide any financials for a 60 day extension only the 1 year. But it’s a one time extension after which you must leave or extend for 1 year.

When you apply for a 1 year extension you need 400K in you account 2 months before applying. They will take 30 days to process your application (formality) and you should keep the 400K in the account during that 30 days. Once the extension is issued you can withdraw all/any of the 400K, but need to top up again at least 2 months before the 2nd year application.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don’t need to provide any financials for a 60 day extension only the 1 year. But it’s a one time extension after which you must leave or extend for 1 year.

When you apply for a 1 year extension you need 400K in you account 2 months before applying. They will take 30 days to process your application (formality) and you should keep the 400K in the account during that 30 days. Once the extension is issued you can withdraw all/any of the 400K, but need to top up again at least 2 months before the 2nd year application.

I guess the process is similar to my current NON-IMM B visa, which I have to extend every year too.

As I moved here with the intention of staying here permanently I would be applying for the 1 year extension. The money isn't that big of a deal, I use it in Thailand anyway and have some extra in a fixed deposit account as well, that counts too right? Or does it have to be a savings/checking account?

6 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

The money isn't that big of a deal, I use it in Thailand anyway and have some extra in a fixed deposit account as well, that counts too right? Or does it have to be a savings/checking account?

A fixed term account will be accepted if the funds can be withdrawn without delay or penalty other than loss of interest.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

The money isn't that big of a deal, I use it in Thailand anyway and have some extra in a fixed deposit account as well, that counts too right? Or does it have to be a savings/checking account?

As long as the money can be withdrawn at anytime immigration should accept a fixed deposit account. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

I guess the process is similar to my current NON-IMM B visa, which I have to extend every year too.

As I moved here with the intention of staying here permanently I would be applying for the 1 year extension. The money isn't that big of a deal, I use it in Thailand anyway and have some extra in a fixed deposit account as well, that counts too right? Or does it have to be a savings/checking account?

You are confusing an extension of stay with the non-imm B (or O) visa.  Different consulates have different requirements for whether they will issue non-imm visas and whether they can issue multiple entry or only single entry visas.   You never mentioned which consulate (city, country) you were asking about visa options in the OP.

Extensions of stay do not have any additional entries attached to them.  you must obtain a separate re-entry permit (single or multiple) and attach it to each extension.

Edited by 4evermaat

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Another difference between a visa and an extension of stay.

If you are considering applying for PR or whatever a multi entry O visa, ie having to leave and return every 90 days isn't accepted. It must be 3 consecutive extensions of stay

You mean I can't leave the country? Maybe I'm confused by your wording. My goal is to get a 1 year multi entry O visa, and then get my O visa extended yearly until I'm eligible to get a PR. I'm not planning on leaving the country and getting a new visa every 90 days. I live in Thailand officially and only go out of the country a few times a year.

Currently, I get my visa extended at the Immigration office every 90 days, unless I'm leaving the country for travel or business before the 90 days are up.

Thank everyone for the help and advice.

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

What does that mean?

I am no longer a resident in my home country, have my Thai address registered at my countries' embassy in Thailand and have the certificate of residency from the local Thai government that I live in Thailand on my current address.

I meant I'm not a tourist visiting on a temporary address, maybe I worded it wrong by saying officially? Sorry for that, I don't know how to translate it better.

Edited by Cyclenshaven

23 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

You mean I can't leave the country? Maybe I'm confused by your wording. My goal is to get a 1 year multi entry O visa, and then get my O visa extended yearly until I'm eligible to get a PR. I'm not planning on leaving the country and getting a new visa every 90 days. I live in Thailand officially and only go out of the country a few times a year.

Currently, I get my visa extended at the Immigration office every 90 days, unless I'm leaving the country for travel or business before the 90 days are up.

Yes you can leave and return with your extension and re-entry permit no problem.

However your one year multi entry O will not count, only the extensions of stay as they are not 'visas'.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

You do not need to get a ME O visa, in fact they way you describe it above, then you do not want a ME O visa, with a ME O visa you would HAVE to leave the country every 90 days.

Get a SE O visa and extend this based on marriage, get a ME reentry permit for those few times a year out of the country.

29 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

No, currently you are reporting your address every 90 days, your extension of stay will have been valid for one year.

Note for PR application, then the rule is 3 consecutive extensions of stay, so 3 years, plus 3 years of Thai income tax payments, from a previous post, you said you could not extend based on 40k THB per month earnings within Thailand for the O visa extension of stay based on marriage?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You do not need to get a ME O visa, in fact they way you describe it above, then you do not want a ME O visa, with a ME O visa you would HAVE to leave the country every 90 days.

Get a SE O visa and extend this based on marriage, get a ME reentry permit for those few times a year out of the country.

No, currently you are reporting your address every 90 days, your extension of stay will have been valid for one year.

Note for PR application, then the rule is 3 consecutive extensions of stay, so 3 years, plus 3 years of Thai income tax payments, from a previous post, you said you could not extend based on 40k THB per month earnings within Thailand for the O visa extension of stay based on marriage?

I believe work and tax records have to be continuous as well.

Based on, if you finish one job then officially your extension will also end, unless with help from old and new employer there is an almost seamless change from old to new job.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I don't think I fully understand, you mean I should initially get a SE O visa and get a separate ME Re-Entry permit? This way I don't have to leave the country and only report my address every 90 days? If this is easier then a ME O visa, why doesn't everyone do this?

Is there no way to have a O visa that's valid for one year that I only need to report my address every 90 days?

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Correct, I have a B visa that's valid for 1 year. I thought it would be the same for a 1 year O visa. 

Currently I am making about 50k THB but next year (after I get my O visa), I am looking to do something else for a while which might result in lower or no income for a certain period. 

4 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Correct, I have a B visa that's valid for 1 year. I thought it would be the same for a 1 year O visa. 

Currently I am making about 50k THB but next year (after I get my O visa), I am looking to do something else for a while which might result in lower or no income for a certain period. 

You currently have an extension of stay that is valid for one year, it is NOT a B visa, it is an extension of stay based on work, that is extending the permission to stay of the original entry on the B visa, do not mix the two up, it is important.

If you want to change to an O visa, then you need to get a SE O visa overseas, then enter Thailand, you will get 90 days permission to stay, in the last 30 days of this permission to stay, go to an immigration office in the area you live and apply to extend your permission to stay for 12 months based on marriage, others have already explained the criteria required for this, i.e. money in the bank etc.

The PR application process and timing will be interrupted, there is nothing you can do about this, unless you continue to work as you are now and extend based on work for another two years, plus the time taken to process the PR application, which can be a long time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

You currently have an extension of stay that is valid for one year, it is NOT a B visa, it is an extension of stay based on work, that is extending the permission to stay of the original entry on the B visa, do not mix the two up, it is important.

If you want to change to an O visa, then you need to get a SE O visa overseas, then enter Thailand, you will get 90 days permission to stay, in the last 30 days of this permission to stay, go to an immigration office in the area you live and apply to extend your permission to stay for 12 months based on marriage, others have already explained the criteria required for this, i.e. money in the bank etc.

The PR application process and timing will be interrupted, there is nothing you can do about this, unless you continue to work as you are now and extend based on work for another two years, plus the time taken to process the PR application, which can be a long time.

Great explanation, thank you. It's alright, too bad it will interfere with the PR timeline but there's worse things than waiting a little longer.

I'm going out of Thailand for a few weeks by the end of this year and while there I'm going to apply for the SE O visa. When back in Thailand I will do as you just said.

Thanks again Mattd and everyone else for their help and useful input

3 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

If you have been renewing each year at an immigration office in Thailand then you're renewing your permission to stay, not renewing a visa.

As others have said, if you're here on an extension of stay, since you then no longer have a valid visa, you would need a re-entry permit to travel out of and back in Thailand.

Without a re-entry permit your extension would cancelled when you come back to Thailand and, if eligible, you'd only be given a 30 dat visa exempt entry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just a quick add on.

First is a visa. O-A.

Second is an extension of stay.

Totally different circumstances apply to each.

images (92).jpeg

images (18).jpeg

To be very honest, I never fully read the text on the stamps, I only checked the dates. Thanks for the extra info!

9 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

You can make trips out of Thailand, but must have consecutive long term (one year) extensions of your permission to stay if you want to apply for PR or citizenship. Note that the extensions of stay will not help with PR unless you are working with a work permit and paying taxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1