Leaving Thailand with NON-IMM B and returning with NON-IMM O

On 8/10/2019 at 2:08 AM, elviajero said:
On 8/10/2019 at 12:58 AM, BritTim said:

Note that the extensions of stay will not help with PR unless you are working with a work permit and paying taxes.

That is not the case for all “PR” applications.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, overherebc said:

True, but it's the first thing they ask for

Just out of interest, what are the alternatives? 

Question related to the topic: I had contact with the head of the Thai Consulate back home, not the lady who I had the initial contact with, and he was very friendly and explained I can apply for the single entry O visa but he would recommend applying to the multiple entry O visa if I meet the requirements and have the documents. His reasoning being, if you're eligible, why not get the one you prefer?

I remember the first time I applied for a multiple entry B visa I got the single entry in stead because I didn't have a B visa before. Does this apply for the O visa too because I never had a O visa before? Or should I be fine to get the multiple entry O visa because I've had the non-imm B visa for almost 2 years now?

Should I apply for the multiple entry O visa instead? Would this be easier/harder to get extended than a single entry O visa and separately get a multiple re-entry permit?

What are your thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Just out of interest, what are the alternatives? 

Question related to the topic: I had contact with the head of the Thai Consulate back home, not the lady who I had the initial contact with, and he was very friendly and explained I can apply for the single entry O visa but he would recommend applying to the multiple entry O visa if I meet the requirements and have the documents. His reasoning being, if you're eligible, why not get the one you prefer?

I remember the first time I applied for a multiple entry B visa I got the single entry in stead because I didn't have a B visa before. Does this apply for the O visa too because I never had a O visa before? Or should I be fine to get the multiple entry O visa because I've had the non-imm B visa for almost 2 years now?

Should I apply for the multiple entry O visa instead? Would this be easier/harder to get extended than a single entry O visa and separately get a multiple re-entry permit?

What are your thoughts?

The multi O visa best suits someone who likes to/has to travel a lot. You have to leave every 89 days and on return you get stamped in for another 90 days.

Basically that could cost a bit, flights/travel out and perhaps a night or two in another country.

You can get a WP based on it but it won't be considered for PR application.

Unlike like an extension 'B'      ( doing 90 day reports ) it doesn't get cancelled if your job finishes. Multi O based on being married and extension based on being married you keep when work finishes until it's valid until date.

Some consulates will only issue single entry the first time ( Penang is one I think )

Seems you can apply for PR if you are supporting a Thai family but obviously that would mean, I reckon, a substantial and ongoing income from somewhere??? or investment of 10,000,000 baht.

Only 100 applications from each nationality each year can apply.

I am open to correction on that.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

The multi O visa best suits someone who likes to/has to travel a lot. You have to leave every 89 days and on return you get stamped in for another 90 days.

Basically that could cost a bit, flights/travel out and perhaps a night or two in another country.

You can get a WP based on it but it won't be considered for PR application.

Unlike like an extension 'B'      ( doing 90 day reports ) it doesn't get cancelled if your job finishes. Multi O based on being married and extension based on being married you keep when work finishes until it's valid until date.

Some consulates will only issue single entry the first time ( Penang is one I think )

Seems you can apply for PR if you are supporting a Thai family but obviously that would mean, I reckon, a substantial and ongoing income from somewhere??? or investment of 10,000,000 baht.

Only 100 applications from each nationality each year can apply.

I am open to correction on that.

Thanks a lot for the help, overherebc.

Then I guess I'll be going to the single entry, as mentioned a few posts ago I only travel a few times a year and I don't want to go border hop every 90 days in case I don't leave the country in that time frame. The man from the consulate said with the 1-year multiple entry O visa it's the same process that you only have to report your address every 90 days, but I guess he's mistaking then because I clearly asked if I had to leave the country every 90 days and he denied this.

So for my case the Single Entry O visa seems the best solution, then get my stay extended based on marriage and get a single or multi re-entry permit if I leave the country, right? When I return to Thailand with the SE O Visa, will that give any issues with my job/work permit?

On a side note, is there a difference between SE O visa or ME O visa to get considered for PR?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

4 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Then I guess I'll be going to the single entry, as mentioned a few posts ago I only travel a few times a year and I don't want to go border hop every 90 days in case I don't leave the country in that time frame. The man from the consulate said with the 1-year multiple entry O visa it's the same process that you only have to report your address every 90 days, but I guess he's mistaking then because I clearly asked if I had to leave the country every 90 days and he denied this.

So for my case the Single Entry O visa seems the best solution, then get my stay extended based on marriage and get a single or multi re-entry permit if I leave the country, right? When I return to Thailand with the SE O Visa, will that give any issues with my job/work permit?

On a side note, is there a difference between SE O visa or ME O visa to get considered for PR?

Single O multi O neither are considered for PR as they are basically short term visas.

Only an extension of stay fits for that with WP and tax records for 3 years continuously, any break in work and tax records you start again.

eg. you can work for 2 years and 10 months without a break and if the job finishes ( your extension gets cancelled ) and it takes you a few weeks to find a new job your 3 years starts again with the new job.

• Thanks 1

@Cyclenshaven It will be a lot less painful if you apply for ME non-o now.  Any of the 90 day entries you can apply for the 1 year extension.  This gives you maximum flexibility.  The only thing you "lose" is a few extra bucks on the visa fee (single vs multiple non-imm).  Other than that, you are golden.

Especially in light of the recent issues at immigration (TM 30, extra money seasoning in bank, et al) that could possibly delay your application, the ME will give you more options until you get settled.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Bear in mind that a multiple entry Non O does not preclude you applying for the extension of stay. It simply provides you with another option when your permission to stay is expiring. The only downside of a multiple versus a single is the former is more expensive.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Bear in mind that a multiple entry Non O does not preclude you applying for the extension of stay. It simply provides you with another option when your permission to stay is expiring. The only downside of a multiple versus a single is the former is more expensive.

Hope you don't mind me adding for info for the OP.

Your multi O may be valid for a year but your permission to stay is only for 90 days each time you leave and re-enter as you must do.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 6:31 PM, 4evermaat said:

@Cyclenshaven It will be a lot less painful if you apply for ME non-o now.  Any of the 90 day entries you can apply for the 1 year extension.  This gives you maximum flexibility.  The only thing you "lose" is a few extra bucks on the visa fee (single vs multiple non-imm).  Other than that, you are golden.

Especially in light of the recent issues at immigration (TM 30, extra money seasoning in bank, et al) that could possibly delay your application, the ME will give you more options until you get settled.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:30 PM, BritTim said:

On 8/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, overherebc said:

Hope you don't mind me adding for info for the OP.

Your multi O may be valid for a year but your permission to stay is only for 90 days each time you leave and re-enter as you must do.

Thanks all for the replies and sorry for the delayed reaction. Am I mistaking that I can just report my address every 90 days at the local immigration with the single entry non-o after I get my stay extended for a year based on marriage? Or do I really have to leave the country every 90 days with any type of non-o visa, even with a marriage visa? It just seems weird that you'd be forced to leave the country and your spouse every 90 days even though you're legally married to a Thai citizen?

How come I don't have to leave the country with my current non b visa? Are they just different in the benefits they have?

Sorry if I'm mixing up things or not understanding, as mentioned earlier English isn't my first language and I have to read the sentences a few times to try and fully comprehend them.

Thank you all so much for your patience and helpfulness.

42 minutes ago, Cyclenshaven said:

Thanks all for the replies and sorry for the delayed reaction. Am I mistaking that I can just report my address every 90 days at the local immigration with the single entry non-o after I get my stay extended for a year based on marriage? Or do I really have to leave the country every 90 days with any type of non-o visa, even with a marriage visa? It just seems weird that you'd be forced to leave the country and your spouse every 90 days even though you're legally married to a Thai citizen?

How come I don't have to leave the country with my current non b visa? Are they just different in the benefits they have?

Sorry if I'm mixing up things or not understanding, as mentioned earlier English isn't my first language and I have to read the sentences a few times to try and fully comprehend them.

Thank you all so much for your patience and helpfulness.

Multi entry O you must leave and return every 90 days for a year.

Single entry O you must leave after 90 days and get a new visa.

You dont have a B visa. you have an extension of stay.

You can call it what you like but its not a visa if you are doing 90 day reports.

Understand that and accept it. It doesnt need 20 more explanations than you have already had.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

If you really want to learn fast then get a single entry O visa somewhere, come back to Thailand and after 90 days go and do a 90 day report.

Make sure you have 1900 baht with you and a flight out to somewhere booked in the following 7 days because you will be using that flight.

You've had all the advice you're getting from me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

A Non O (and Non B) visa only allows for an initial 90-day stay. At the end of that time, you must either have your permission to stay extended, or leave the country. The Non O visa (unless extended) is to visit your wife, not live with her.

2 hours ago, Cyclenshaven said:

You have an extension of stay on the basis of working. You are not staying in Thailand on the original 90-day stay that you received from the Non B visa.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Multi entry O you must leave and return every 90 days for a year.

Single entry O you must leave after 90 days and get a new visa.

You dont have a B visa. you have an extension of stay.

You can call it what you like but its not a visa if you are doing 90 day reports.

Understand that and accept it. It doesnt need 20 more explanations than you have already had.

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

If you really want to learn fast then get a single entry O visa somewhere, come back to Thailand and after 90 days go and do a 90 day report.

Make sure you have 1900 baht with you and a flight out to somewhere booked in the following 7 days because you will be using that flight.

You've had all the advice you're getting from me.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

A Non O (and Non B) visa only allows for an initial 90-day stay. At the end of that time, you must either have your permission to stay extended, or leave the country. The Non O visa (unless extended) is to visit your wife, not live with her.

You have an extension of stay on the basis of working. You are not staying in Thailand on the original 90-day stay that you received from the Non B visa.

Ok, thanks for all the help.