Thai government gets first taste of defeat in lower House

webfact

Government gets first taste of defeat in lower House

TOT-Parliament_190726_0006.jpg

The government suffered its first defeat in the lower House today over a parliamentary regulation that would specify the House speaker’s impartiality in the performance of his or her duty.

Regulation Number 9 was debated at length today in the House meeting, during which speaker Chuan Leekpai was heavily criticized by opposition MPs for alleged bias.

Protesting his impartiality, Mr. Chuan responded that, although he is an old-generation politician, he is proud that he has never engaged in and always opposed vote buying, unlike some politicians “who sweet-talk in front of the people, but win elections through vote buying”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/government-gets-first-taste-of-defeat-in-lower-house/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-09

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Mr. Chuan responded that, although he is an old-generation politician,

Khun Chuan has to abstain from voting as the speaker 

sure he can be criticised and have a personal opinion on matters but no vote, 

as a member of the lower house you listen to arguments and make up your own mind or follow your party, 

If he can substantiate the statement of vote buying,  then it would be seen as a prudent to forth come that information or has this been missed in the fall out, of the defeat.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Although it sounds like a big nothing sandwich, any flack that can be given to this horrendous, incompetent, heinous, greedy, callous, and incompetent administration, and the nothing army, is well deserved, and long overdue. 

Hardly an army, more like a collection of cheating, corrupt, cowardly parasites.   CCCP for short.

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Although it sounds like a big nothing sandwich, any flack that can be given to this horrendous, incompetent, heinous, greedy, callous, and incompetent administration, and the nothing army, is well deserved, and long overdue. 

Nice to see you toned down your post a tad... I get your point though.

25 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Hardly an army, more like a collection of cheating, corrupt, cowardly parasites.   CCCP for short.

I like CCCP. How about ANM. The army nothing men.

Or WBNTT. We bring nothing to the table.

Or LMMPST. Lets make as much money as possible in the short term?

Or TTPMNU. The welfare of the Thai people means nothing to us.

Anything but the current name, which is totally misleading, and not deserved on any level. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I like CCCP. How about ANM. The army nothing men.

Or WBNTT. We bring nothing to the table.

Or LMMPST. Lets make as much money as possible in the short term?

Or TTPMNU. The welfare of the Thai people means nothing to us.

Anything but the current name, which is totally misleading, and not deserved on any level. 

The last one, TTPMNU, sums them up and the controller very aptly. Despite all the corruption, ignorance and arrogance of the elite Thais, or those that think they are anyway, and there are some of those on this board, the normal Thai people are lovely friendly folk and, just like most of the world, want to be able to live a happy life as stress free as possible without abuse.

Unfortunately the utterly corrupt and contemptible Thais whose sole aim is to enrich themselves, or the other lot who tried to pretend they are better than others with a hope of getting on that gravy train, spoil this challenge for them.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

he is proud that he has never engaged in and always opposed vote buying

How about just plain vanilla corruption?

• Although generally regarded as relatively clean and honest when compared to other Thai administrations, Chuan's government found itself plagued with corruption scandals and rumours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuan_Leekpai

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

hmm, alright, you never bought a vote..., but did you ever sell yours?

Khun Chuan has consistently been low man on the totem pole when figures of politicians bank accounts are released.

I've never read where his/those accounts have exceeded more than a few hundred thousand baht in that respect and I

consider him one of the very few honest politicians in Thailand who has held to his ethics. This is a man I respect and

am very happy to see him holding this position in the current government.

19 party coalition....just stop and think about that....a 19 party coalition. That is completely and utterly absurd. Words cannot even do the absurdity of it justice. 

In a normal world even a 2 party coalition is considered unworkable as they are finding out now in Italy.

19 party coalition!!!! Think about that. Seriously.

How long have they really got?

26 minutes ago, Dap said:

Khun Chuan has consistently been low man on the totem pole when figures of politicians bank accounts are released.

I've never read where his/those accounts have exceeded more than a few hundred thousand baht in that respect and I

consider him one of the very few honest politicians in Thailand who has held to his ethics. This is a man I respect and

am very happy to see him holding this position in the current government.

Min Thailand all that means to me is that you have  guy that is smart at hiding his money.....it is completely inconceievable that a Thai politician (or pretty much any Thai) would not take financial advantage of any position given to them.

I am really surprised you would think that just because no money is showing up in his account that he doesn’t have it stashed somewhere.

and as always the junta wanted it their way, fortunately today didn't work out....

"" When the issue was put to a vote, 205 opposition MPs voted to amend the regulation against 204 votes on the government side. Palang Pracharat MP Veerakorn Kamprakob asked for a second vote, but it was rejected by Mr. Chuan.""

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Until fatigue and numbness sets in from the public from every little complaint and the process scatters and distracts opposition politicians...little boy who cried wolf syndrome, eventually.

I disagree.  F O C U S on the most important stuff only, the stuff in most radical need of a fundamental change, latch on like a pitbull, and go at it 1000%.  

In politics, everyone has limited public goodwill, limited political capital, and limited time/attention/resources.  

The opposition should ignore the nothing burgers and make it count...

Otherwise you're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

19 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Min Thailand all that means to me is that you have  guy that is smart at hiding his money.....it is completely inconceievable that a Thai politician (or pretty much any Thai) would not take financial advantage of any position given to them.

I am really surprised you would think that just because no money is showing up in his account that he doesn’t have it stashed somewhere.

"just because" is not the reason for my statement, but only a fact I wished to proffer as a reply to another post. I have been following Khun Chuan's activities for 25 years and I intend to continue the respect I have for his ethics and actions. :biggrin: 

Archived