Overstaying English teacher working for 15K a month arrested in north east Thailand

webfact

15 hours ago, Percy P said:

English spoken in Thailand is not phonetic English it's the basterdized version American English.  Radio FM 88 is typical American English.

American English is far more useful (and easier to learn). Brits enjoy their accents and dialects. American English is more tactical. 

When learning British English, differences of a couple kilometers can make dialects mutually unintelligible. 

Guy from Southwest Worcesterfordshire can't understand guy from Northern Southwest Worcesterfordshire. And forget trying to understand the guy from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. ????????

https://www.skypeenglishclasses.com/american-english-british-english-divided-common-language/

"The main difference between British and American pronunciation is that American accents tend to be far less varied than British ones.

There are about 230 million native English speakers in the USA (64% of the total number of native speakers around the world) living in an area of over 9 million km2, but speaking only about 10 major dialects between them.

Now compare that to Britain where 64 million native speakers (16% of the global total) live in an area of 242,500 km2 (about the size of Michigan) and between them speak a bewildering 50 different versions of the language!"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, webfact said:

The Cameroonian was teaching English at a private school in Sri Bunreuang in Nong Bua Lamphu province.

So the school principals punishment for hiring an immigrant without the correct documentation will be what exactly...????

Ohhhh and I understand that he came at an affordable price but did the kids understand anything he was saying?

18 hours ago, Smokegreynblues said:

Every school knows the visa status of an employee, employing someone on the wrong status is first an offence, so yes the school should be charged even if they grassed him up. I see a labor violation for the school and immigration violation for the teacher. 

Most of these teachers get jobs through agencies who initially say they will get the visa and never bother because they don't give a monkeys apart from making money from the school through placement fees.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

American English is far more useful (and easier to learn). Brits enjoy their accents and dialects. American English is more tactical. 

When learning British English, differences of a couple kilometers can make dialects mutually unintelligible. 

Guy from Southwest Worcesterfordshire can't understand guy from Northern Southwest Worcesterfordshire. And forget trying to understand the guy from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. ????????

https://www.skypeenglishclasses.com/american-english-british-english-divided-common-language/

"The main difference between British and American pronunciation is that American accents tend to be far less varied than British ones.

There are about 230 million native English speakers in the USA (64% of the total number of native speakers around the world) living in an area of over 9 million km2, but speaking only about 10 major dialects between them.

Now compare that to Britain where 64 million native speakers (16% of the global total) live in an area of 242,500 km2 (about the size of Michigan) and between them speak a bewildering 50 different versions of the language!"

I kind of understand where you are coming from . Brits will normally understand other Brits accents . There are of course exceptions mostly when listening to some broad Scotland or Irish accent .Yet they also have areas where their accents are a pleasure to hear and very clear . I would think that a UK English teacher would struggle if he / she had a strong local dialect and would not enter that profession .

What does intrigue me are some of our European friends who to me are not always clear in their speech and their grammar is incorrect , take up English teaching jobs . That is a puzzler , cos how do the students react to a non English accent ? do they parrot that ?

I did know a couple of teachers from the UK who told me that their teaching methods had to follow a strict procedure set out by the Thai education system and similar to " Power Point Presentation " . Involves pointing at the screen and following a script . Is that the case ?  Any teachers here who know differently ? 

1 hour ago, superal said:

I kind of understand where you are coming from . Brits will normally understand other Brits accents . There are of course exceptions mostly when listening to some broad Scotland or Irish accent .Yet they also have areas where their accents are a pleasure to hear and very clear . I would think that a UK English teacher would struggle if he / she had a strong local dialect and would not enter that profession .

What does intrigue me are some of our European friends who to me are not always clear in their speech and their grammar is incorrect , take up English teaching jobs . That is a puzzler , cos how do the students react to a non English accent ? do they parrot that ?

I did know a couple of teachers from the UK who told me that their teaching methods had to follow a strict procedure set out by the Thai education system and similar to " Power Point Presentation " . Involves pointing at the screen and following a script . Is that the case ?  Any teachers here who know differently ? 

Yeah, I was having a friendly go at the "bastardised American English" comment. ???? Agree with you. Some continental European accents of English are worse than others. 

The truth is that Thais severely lack in their English capabilites even after a few generations of having it in the national curriculum. Something is wrong. Many things are in fact. They definitely need better quality teachers, and that means paying more than slave wages. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. 

However, I am confident in the national arrogance here, so I doubt anything will change in my lifetime. They are happy speaking a form of English that nobody outside Thailand can comprehend.

After all, for many Thais, ability to 'sapeek Ingalit' is merely a marker of social class, signifying that they have money and or have spent a couple years abroad in an often low tier university. 

I am struggling to understand the general concept that an English teachers job is to teach someone to SPEAK English. I learnt to speak from my mum & dad ( whom are not English teachers ) my friends learnt from their mum & dad , my cousins learnt from their mum & dad, BUT the English teachers at school taught us comprehension,grammar,

past present and future participles, sentence structure etc, in other words how to READ and WRITE. I believe the largest failing is in the (degree qualified) teachers ability to teach the students to both pronounce and enunciate the language. 

it is Thailand Government fault,they don,t control the quality of the teacher, they don,t check school. Many school want to employ those people who are foreigners , it doesn,t matter those foreigners know how to teach at all. One of my friend who taught in Chiangmai for few months does not know how to teach , he could not answer any question from students. On the other hand I had a friend from England, English born Chinese, having a certificate for teaching English but could not find a job here , the schools told him because he is Chinese , they only wanted to employ farang looking teachers

On 8/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, Neeranam said:

My boss offered to get me a master's degree from Isarn university for 50,000 baht. 

It's all about money.

You will get a PhD in the Philippines for that cash. And call yourself Dr. Neeranam. When in Thailand, do it as the Thais do...........

9 hours ago, jamesmith said:

it is Thailand Government fault,they don,t control the quality of the teacher, they don,t check school. Many school want to employ those people who are foreigners , it doesn,t matter those foreigners know how to teach at all. One of my friend who taught in Chiangmai for few months does not know how to teach , he could not answer any question from students. On the other hand I had a friend from England, English born Chinese, having a certificate for teaching English but could not find a job here , the schools told him because he is Chinese , they only wanted to employ farang looking teachers

He couldn't answer any questions from the students? It's usually the students who can't answer questions.//

10 hours ago, jamesmith said:

He couldn't answer any questions from the students? It's usually the students who can't answer questions.//

16 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yeah, I was having a friendly go at the "bastardised American English" comment. ???? Agree with you. Some continental European accents of English are worse than others. 

The truth is that Thais severely lack in their English capabilites even after a few generations of having it in the national curriculum. Something is wrong. Many things are in fact. They definitely need better quality teachers, and that means paying more than slave wages. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. 

However, I am confident in the national arrogance here, so I doubt anything will change in my lifetime. They are happy speaking a form of English that nobody outside Thailand can comprehend.

After all, for many Thais, ability to 'sapeek Ingalit' is merely a marker of social class, signifying that they have money and or have spent a couple years abroad in an often low tier university. 

But they're pretty good in covering that up. 

They did learn quite a lot regarding of sapeekin' Aengrit. A couple of years ago plenty of people were using the phrase "Passa Farang", because they thought that all Westerners would sapeek Aengrit. 

Even when the quality of English didn't increase, they now know that not all Farang speak English. That could have been the result of the Russians who do sound a bit different. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:16 AM, HampiK said:

I would like to know they found him, because the school reported him, and if not will the school also have to pay a fine?

What qualifications did he show the school to show he  was proficient ? And Thai officials are surprised that Thai English proficiency is shocking compared to other ASEAN countries !

1 minute ago, john ianson said:

What qualifications did he show the school to show he  was proficient ? And Thai officials are surprised that Thai English proficiency is shocking compared to other ASEAN countries !

Thai English teachers have a problem understanding me when I am English with hardly any regional accent...:whistling:

On 8/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, Fex Bluse said:

So according to your calculations there are only 357 million English speakers in the world ! The population of the USA is 317 million of which only 230 million speak English according to you  so what do the other 87 million USA people speak ? And what about English speaking Australia, NZ,  Canada , Singapore parts of Malaysia and the Philippines and certain parts of Africa ?

1 hour ago, john ianson said:

So according to your calculations there are only 357 million English speakers in the world ! The population of the USA is 317 million of which only 230 million speak English according to you  so what do the other 87 million USA people speak ? And what about English speaking Australia, NZ,  Canada , Singapore parts of Malaysia and the Philippines and certain parts of Africa ?

Notice the quotes in my post (that you responded to)? That means that they are NOT my words. 

The point was to say that American English is more useful and easier to learn than British English. 

Is that OK? 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, mercman24 said:

another idiot who likes the limelight, so you catch ONE who is probably teaching your future generation a decent way in life,  go and catch some real scumbags. i bet you can go in any bar in Patttaya and catch a few on overstay. get a kin life,

Just repeating garbage not based on knowledge or experience.

Most bars in Pattaya would be lucky to have a few customers never mind a few overstayers.

Far too many bars for the number of customers about and it has been like that in the more than twenty years that I've been here.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:49 AM, rott said:

Just repeating garbage not based on knowledge or experience.

Most bars in Pattaya would be lucky to have a few customers never mind a few overstayers.

Far too many bars for the number of customers about and it has been like that in the more than twenty years that I've been here.

Fyi , Pattaya has monthly millionaires, spend and go , see you next year, welcome.

Much better , for the thai economy , than long stayers / small spenders ...

On 8/10/2019 at 7:10 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I'll give you one word and two phrases.

1. Leverage. <deleted> is that? Why is it used as a verb when it's a noun?

2. I could care less. So you care to some extent?

3. I was like. Grammatical car crash.

British people were speaking English while Americans were chasing buffaloes with tomahawks while wearing loin cloths. Americans don't speak English and should never be allowed near the teaching profession. You wear your pants on the outside in class.

All joking aside, 20 years ago the TEFL industry in Thailand was full of paedophiles. In fact the industry across SEA was. I can't blame them for being meticulous about allowing foreign teachers in. The odd pervert still gets through.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, manta said:

Just don’t get it, how can a school employ a teacher without doing checks?

LOL i guess it is the same way in Pattaya & probably other provinces you can do an education visa without actually going to school. The sad part of it is that is how they like it.The school wants to have numerous applicants that pay but would never have room to fit them all should they ever all attend class & Jomtien just want to collect 5k baht every 90 day extension rather than 1900. A number of schools don't even offer the number of hours required to legally do the visa but you dont know that until it's too late.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, RichardColeman said:

I guess the give away was when all the kids started adding 'you know what I mean like' to every sentence

Ages since kids stopped using such complex language structures, innit tho ?

57 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

well who cares about English you better learn Chinese

because it is the most spoken language in the world

The Top 10 Most Spoken Languages in the World
  1. Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion speakers) ...
  2. English (983 million speakers) ...
  3. Hindustani (544 million speakers) ...
  4. Spanish (527 million speakers) ...
  5. Arabic (422 million speakers) ...
  6. Malay (281 million speakers) ...
  7. Russian (267 million speakers) ...
  8. Bengali (261 million speakers)

Archived