BANGKOK
webfact

Overstaying English teacher working for 15K a month arrested in north east Thailand

15k monthly salary, that must be a fortune for a Cameroonian. Now the game is over. Back to the hut in Africa. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:16 AM, HampiK said:

I would like to know they found him, because the school reported him, and if not will the school also have to pay a fine?

What qualifications did he show the school to show he  was proficient ? And Thai officials are surprised that Thai English proficiency is shocking compared to other ASEAN countries !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, john ianson said:

What qualifications did he show the school to show he  was proficient ? And Thai officials are surprised that Thai English proficiency is shocking compared to other ASEAN countries !

Thai English teachers have a problem understanding me when I am English with hardly any regional accent...:whistling:

On 8/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, Fex Bluse said:

American English is far more useful (and easier to learn). Brits enjoy their accents and dialects. American English is more tactical. 

When learning British English, differences of a couple kilometers can make dialects mutually unintelligible. 

Guy from Southwest Worcesterfordshire can't understand guy from Northern Southwest Worcesterfordshire. And forget trying to understand the guy from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. 😊😁

https://www.skypeenglishclasses.com/american-english-british-english-divided-common-language/

"The main difference between British and American pronunciation is that American accents tend to be far less varied than British ones.

There are about 230 million native English speakers in the USA (64% of the total number of native speakers around the world) living in an area of over 9 million km2, but speaking only about 10 major dialects between them.

Now compare that to Britain where 64 million native speakers (16% of the global total) live in an area of 242,500 km2 (about the size of Michigan) and between them speak a bewildering 50 different versions of the language!"

So according to your calculations there are only 357 million English speakers in the world ! The population of the USA is 317 million of which only 230 million speak English according to you  so what do the other 87 million USA people speak ? And what about English speaking Australia, NZ,  Canada , Singapore parts of Malaysia and the Philippines and certain parts of Africa ?

1 hour ago, john ianson said:

So according to your calculations there are only 357 million English speakers in the world ! The population of the USA is 317 million of which only 230 million speak English according to you  so what do the other 87 million USA people speak ? And what about English speaking Australia, NZ,  Canada , Singapore parts of Malaysia and the Philippines and certain parts of Africa ?

Notice the quotes in my post (that you responded to)? That means that they are NOT my words. 

The point was to say that American English is more useful and easier to learn than British English. 

Is that OK? 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, mercman24 said:

another idiot who likes the limelight, so you catch ONE who is probably teaching your future generation a decent way in life,  go and catch some real scumbags. i bet you can go in any bar in Patttaya and catch a few on overstay. get a kin life,

Just repeating garbage not based on knowledge or experience.

Most bars in Pattaya would be lucky to have a few customers never mind a few overstayers.

Far too many bars for the number of customers about and it has been like that in the more than twenty years that I've been here.

School chopped him , just before his salary was due .

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 1:49 AM, rott said:

Just repeating garbage not based on knowledge or experience.

Most bars in Pattaya would be lucky to have a few customers never mind a few overstayers.

Far too many bars for the number of customers about and it has been like that in the more than twenty years that I've been here.

Fyi , Pattaya has monthly millionaires, spend and go , see you next year, welcome.

Much better , for the thai economy , than long stayers / small spenders ...

Edited by elliss

On 8/10/2019 at 7:10 AM, Fex Bluse said:

American English is far more useful (and easier to learn). Brits enjoy their accents and dialects. American English is more tactical. 

When learning British English, differences of a couple kilometers can make dialects mutually unintelligible. 

Guy from Southwest Worcesterfordshire can't understand guy from Northern Southwest Worcesterfordshire. And forget trying to understand the guy from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. 😊😁

https://www.skypeenglishclasses.com/american-english-british-english-divided-common-language/

"The main difference between British and American pronunciation is that American accents tend to be far less varied than British ones.

There are about 230 million native English speakers in the USA (64% of the total number of native speakers around the world) living in an area of over 9 million km2, but speaking only about 10 major dialects between them.

Now compare that to Britain where 64 million native speakers (16% of the global total) live in an area of 242,500 km2 (about the size of Michigan) and between them speak a bewildering 50 different versions of the language!"

I'll give you one word and two phrases.

1. Leverage. <deleted> is that? Why is it used as a verb when it's a noun?

2. I could care less. So you care to some extent?

3. I was like. Grammatical car crash.

British people were speaking English while Americans were chasing buffaloes with tomahawks while wearing loin cloths. Americans don't speak English and should never be allowed near the teaching profession. You wear your pants on the outside in class.

All joking aside, 20 years ago the TEFL industry in Thailand was full of paedophiles. In fact the industry across SEA was. I can't blame them for being meticulous about allowing foreign teachers in. The odd pervert still gets through.

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, manta said:

Just don’t get it, how can a school employ a teacher without doing checks?

LOL i guess it is the same way in Pattaya & probably other provinces you can do an education visa without actually going to school. The sad part of it is that is how they like it.The school wants to have numerous applicants that pay but would never have room to fit them all should they ever all attend class & Jomtien just want to collect 5k baht every 90 day extension rather than 1900. A number of schools don't even offer the number of hours required to legally do the visa but you dont know that until it's too late.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, RichardColeman said:

I guess the give away was when all the kids started adding 'you know what I mean like' to every sentence

Ages since kids stopped using such complex language structures, innit tho ?

57 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

well who cares about English you better learn Chinese

because it is the most spoken language in the world

The Top 10 Most Spoken Languages in the World
  1. Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion speakers) ...
  2. English (983 million speakers) ...
  3. Hindustani (544 million speakers) ...
  4. Spanish (527 million speakers) ...
  5. Arabic (422 million speakers) ...
  6. Malay (281 million speakers) ...
  7. Russian (267 million speakers) ...
  8. Bengali (261 million speakers)