Kid with a pot on his head instead of a helmet amuses Thailand

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just returned from a road trip in a rural area of Thailand. Being generous, helmet compliance was at about 10% overall, and that includes major highways. Children are usually seen wedged between their parents, just like 15 years ago, and rarely wear a helmet to protect their precious little heads.

Sorry, but I fail to see what's amusing (or amazing) about that. It's plain stupid and it's plain sad.

The law should not be "encouraged" but strictly enforced.

Minimum 2,000baht fine warranted for the driver (First offence-no helmet) and 1,000 for the passengers. This on top of any other penalties (driving licence, insurance no number plate etc etc).

The government, police and judiciary should stop playng games immediately!

I fail to find stupidity

funny

also poor quality helmets are useless 

not attaching the straps is also useless 

they have no head no need helmets 

and why not call on phone 

so you cannot control your bike with only one hand 

they deserve to die

19 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, I already explained that I couldn't see the plate.  What about the lack of mirrors or DL?  The whole op is a set-up.

How come you couldn't see the clearly visible plate?  Who says that, by statute, a bike has to have mirrors? How do you know that the rider had no licence? 

Will you perhaps be throwing in the retort that the bike was not insured next?

Simple stupid crazy things amuze like minded people.

Life is cheap here as are people. The youngsters life means nothing. Typical.

Health and Safty come last here unlike other civilized nations where life is consideted special.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How come you couldn't see the clearly visible plate, who says that a bike has to have mirrors and how do you know that the rider had no licence?

FCOL. I didn't see the plate on my sreen. I don't know why, bad screenresolution, dirty screen, bad eyesight, dirty specs or a combination of all?  As for your concern about the DL, I've explained it already.  Why is this such a big issue? I still can't see the number plate which obviously is there. I just have to live this.

21 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

FCOL. I didn't see the plate on my sreen. I don't know why, bad screenresolution, dirty screen, bad eyesight, dirty specs or a combination of all?  As for your concern about the DL, I've explained it already.  Why is this such a big issue? I still can't see the number plate which obviously is there. I just have to live this.

For crying out loud, it's not a "big issue", I was responding to comments that you made, not anyone else, and you then continued it with a response to me, so maybe you should ask yourself who's making it a big issue!

15 hours ago, Formaleins said:

I bet they all chuckle when he comes off the bike and the pot goes rolling away while his dumb head is splattered all over the road, never mind, how we all chuckled, especially the laughing idiot cop! What a bunch of <deleted> - How funny the cop finds it, three on a bike, probably not old enough to drive, never mind...ho ho what a chuckle. Glad to see stupid things amuse stupid minds!

Well, what else could the cop do but chuckle? He cannot fine the kid, as his head was "protected". And the chuckling franchisee was left barren, and unable to collect. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, Vacuum said:

PS. Note the lack of mirrors.

Three on the bike as well and the police didn't seem to notice. I wonder if they were even old enough to have a drivers license? ???? It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, ezzra said:

I have seen guys riding around with a rickety strapless construction safety hard hat, had the pot was a teflon coated one and had a strap, it would have passed for a helmet for sure... and in a case of an accident, the only item that will be undamaged will be the pot...

I guess you could say the guy had "cooked his brain"

On 8/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, ezzra said:

I have seen guys riding around with a rickety strapless construction safety hard hat, had the pot was a teflon coated one and had a strap, it would have passed for a helmet for sure... and in a case of an accident, the only item that will be undamaged will be the pot...

There used to be, a couple of years ago, a lad riding a Pizza Delivery Scooter up here in Chiang Rai, who always wore a child's plastic copy of an English policeman's helmet, held on by a bungee cord! I often wandered where he got it from, let alone what good he thought it would do him!

On 8/9/2019 at 10:07 AM, Phuketshrew said:

But they will never have an accident as they are all wearing the obligatory amulets.

Not just a Thai/Buddhist thing though. Years ago a 14 year old female student used to come to school on her motorcycle not wearing a helmet. Her rationale for doing this was that "God was protecting her so she didn't need a helmet". Her family were American missionaries.

And we're is she now ,6ft Under or incinerated.

2 hours ago, fullcave said:

Three on the bike as well and the police didn't seem to notice. I wonder if they were even old enough to have a drivers license? ???? It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. 

And we're they allowed to carry on with there journey. 

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Think you need to find another interest. Sitting in front of your computer all day trying to score likes on Thaivisa news stories can be bad for your eyesight.

Archived