Bangkok’s Gaggan will shut forever later this month

webfact

Bangkok’s Gaggan will shut forever later this month

But the team will be back with a new restaurant very very soon

7872911_orig.jpg

File photo

Adding another twist to Gaggan Anand’s Bangkok restaurant saga, it has been confirmed that the restaurant will close its doors forever on 25 August 2019.

The last service at Gaggan will be held on 24 August. Following the news of Gaggan Anand resigning from the restaurant a few months ago, almost the entire staff at the restaurant has decided to quit as well. But that’s not all. Gaggan and most of his restaurant team will be back six to eight weeks later with an entirely new restaurant.

Gaggan Anand will be putting his plans for a restaurant in Tokyo on hold, to open a wholly new establishment in Bangkok. At the moment, no further details have be announced.

Full story: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/bangkoks-gaggan-will-shut-forever-later-month/#s-cust0

-- CNTraveller 2019-08-09

Does not appear the gastronomic standards of TVF are very high.

Fine dining and development of culinary arts are a fixture in most cultures, provide employment for loads of people, and enjoyment for gourmands  epicureans, and beverage afficianados. 

I ate at Gaggan several times.  Like every super-expensive restaurant I have ever been in, the food couldn't live up to the expectation.  Every dish was a dish I had never heard of before.  But I think the appetizers were the only items I remember as delicious.  

I enjoy Rang Mahal much more, because it is more or less typical restaurant Indian food prepared to a higher standard.

2 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Does not appear the gastronomic standards of TVF are very high.

Fine dining and development of culinary arts are a fixture in most cultures, provide employment for loads of people, and enjoyment for gourmands  epicureans, and beverage afficianados. 

Correct.  Some posters think burgers and pizza are worthy of discussion.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Does anyone give a flying fig ?

Ahhhhh nope ???? ????????????????????????????????

the celebrity of chiefs has given rise to a whole breed of scarily narcissistic apron wearers.

Oz has had a few of them disgraced for chronic underpaying of staff to the tune of multi millions of $’s, and some trying hide it. Douche bags. As for Gordon Ramsay don’t get me started lol ???? 

Interesting.  Ate there twice, some years ago, and thought it was outstanding.  Glad to hear he'll be doing something else in Bangkok.  Weird though how you'd quit from your namesake restaurant. I thought he was moving the whole shebang to Singapore.

... when i visited, the menu cards were filthy, so i decided not to ever come again. tidiness is of utmost importance, if you ask for outrageous prices. i expected a lot more at this restaurant. the set menu was also “questionable”, to say the least.  

I cant help but laugh at some of the critiques....

Gaggan doesn't serve butter chicken.

Gaggan doesn't serve papadums.

They dont have appetizers.  It's a 23 course tasting menu, with everything in appetizer sized portions.

Dirty menu cards?  The emoji menu cards are given away to guests, so they are new each time.

Gaggan is no doubt expensive.  But compared to comparable 2 and 3 star Michelin restaurants in major cities, it isnt overpriced.  And the food, in my 2 experiences, is truly inventive.

He has said for years he would close Gaggan and do something new.  Best if luck to him.

10 hours ago, rchapstick said:

I cant help but laugh at some of the critiques....

Gaggan doesn't serve butter chicken.

Gaggan doesn't serve papadums.

They dont have appetizers.  It's a 23 course tasting menu, with everything in appetizer sized portions.

Dirty menu cards?  The emoji menu cards are given away to guests, so they are new each time.

Gaggan is no doubt expensive.  But compared to comparable 2 and 3 star Michelin restaurants in major cities, it isnt overpriced.  And the food, in my 2 experiences, is truly inventive.

He has said for years he would close Gaggan and do something new.  Best if luck to him.

interesting, because google says....

How much does it cost to eat at Gaggan?
Gaggan serves dinner nightly, with sittings from 6pm and 9pm. The 18-course degustation – known as the Gaggan Experience – costs 4000 baht plus a 10 per cent service charge and 7 per cent VAT (about $180)

However that was in Jan 2017. It also says its the 7th 'best' restaurant in the world.

Still doubt ill be going.

16 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

interesting, because google says....

How much does it cost to eat at Gaggan?
Gaggan serves dinner nightly, with sittings from 6pm and 9pm. The 18-course degustation – known as the Gaggan Experience – costs 4000 baht plus a 10 per cent service charge and 7 per cent VAT (about $180)

However that was in Jan 2017. It also says its the 7th 'best' restaurant in the world.

Still doubt ill be going.

Given that the restaurant is closing in 2 weeks, I think it's a safe bet you wont be going.

I've been twice.  Both times it was 23 courses.  First time was 5000++ per person.  Second time it was 6000++ per person.  Definitely lately not cheap, but if I went to, say, Per Se in NYC or the French Laundry in Napa, i would expect to pay $500++ pp.  So compared to comparable restaurants, it isnt outrageous. 

I get that not everyone is going to want to go to a restaurant like Gaggan.   But it seems petty and, frankly, dumb to bash a place you have clearly never been to.

8 hours ago, rchapstick said:

've been twice.  Both times it was 23 courses.  First time was 5000++ per person.  Second time it was 6000++ per person.  Definitely lately not cheap, but if I went to, say, Per Se in NYC or the French Laundry in Napa, i would expect to pay $500++ pp.  So compared to comparable restaurants, it isnt outrageous.

they must be very tiny courses. in france i could barely finish 8 courses at a place where the courses dont stop coming until you waive the white flag

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
On 8/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, canopus1969 said:

Does anyone give a flying fig ?

People that have taste.  

although i know gaggan and appreciate them it is not for everybody. taste varies and just because someone does not know about or care about a place like that doesnt mean they dont have taste.  they have their own preferences.

Archived