Truck driver charged as woman crushed under wheels in Wichit

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people have no knowledge of a truck drivers forward vision, the first 10/12 feet is what we call the dead area, sadly in this ladies case it became true. anyone sat right in front of a truck cannot be seen, you will see western trucks with a mirror pointing across the front of a truck,for that very reason  not seen one here yet

4 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I"ve just watched the video and there is no way that the truck driver was in any way to blame.

The government is to blame for not insisting that driving standards are raised with better training and tighter regulations.

This lady was not on a suicide mission, nor was she nuts, she was badly educated on how to drive safely!

My friend took a motor cycle driving course yesterday at one of the popular training companies. They did not teach anything. Only watch the movie and then the driving test was just following the leader through the course. There was no teaching of the basic handling of a motor bike...nothing: No braking, no shoulder checks, "what foot to put down", "look where you want to go"......nothing. It is just a sham for 1100 baht and a quick license. No wonder this carnage is happening. It's pathetic.

5 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I"ve just watched the video and there is no way that the truck driver was in any way to blame.

The government is to blame for not insisting that driving standards are raised with better training and tighter regulations.

This lady was not on a suicide mission, nor was she nuts, she was badly educated on how to drive safely!

It is decades too late. Thais should have been disciplined in how to drive when cars began appearing on the roads and proper skills required to get a license, and now it's too late. It would need taking every driver off the road, teaching them how to drive properly which takes weeks, but there is no-one to teach them anyway. Obviously impossible. Add the fact that the police don't give a rat's fart and never will, and the problem is insoluble.

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I hope that she died quickly.

RIP.

Did you even bother to read the news? "The woman was critically injured and was rushed to hospital, where she later passed away due to her injuries."

Sounds to me like it took a while.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is decades too late. Thais should have been disciplined in how to drive when cars began appearing on the roads and proper skills required to get a license, and now it's too late. It would need taking every driver off the road, teaching them how to drive properly which takes weeks, but there is no-one to teach them anyway. Obviously impossible. Add the fact that the police don't give a rat's fart and never will, and the problem is insoluble.

You're probably right but it's never too late to teach the ones who are yet to get a license.

Maybe instead of stupid adverts on tv for skin whitening products etc they could show clips of accidents, keep bombarding the public with tips on how to drive safely, a massive campaign like they did in the UK with the "clunk click" ads.

Get some driving instructors in from the West to set up a school to teach some Thais how to be driving instructors and go from there. There are so many things the government could do.

But for me, doing nothing is totally unacceptable.

As for the driver of the truck being charged, if it were me I'd go to court to clear my name. That poor bloke will have suffered enough without carrying the blame for the rest of his life.

All very worrying when it could be any one of us that this happened to.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

usually a  police  box  looking  on.

However, the police inside the "...police box looking on", were not but the box was although it did not do a good job which is seems to be part of the tradition among all things associated with the police.

'nuf sed.

15 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Same same in the UK, with cyclists.

Bike riders can be so silly at times. The law in my home State of Queensland says we have to give 1 meter clearance around a bike rider at 60kph...ok I can deal with that. But when me and the Mrs want to go into town on a 110kph highway the rule is 1,5 meters. Understand this is a highway with road trains - I mean big arse trucks 50 meters long, prime mover and three sometimes four trailers, very big rigs, hundred tonners or more and they stop for nothing. And then we have these tossers on push bikes, maybe 50 or 60 of them completely disobeying the road rules by trying to impersonate a flight of ducks a la tour de France all over the road.

Well , if it comes to me and the good lady Thai wife hitting a road train head on or hitting the push bike....sorry deadly treadly , you're losing your 1.5 meter clearance real quick.

17 hours ago, Seismic said:

The difference being most UK cyclists actually understand that trucks have blind spots.

90% of people using the road in the UK all have road sense not like these Thai people who do not seem to have the sense they were born with ?

The motorcyclist was totally in the wrong, she used a lane that was not there and then got in the blind spot of the truck driver.  90% of the problem with the road rules in Thailand is the police , they simply don't know the rules whether their not explained properly at training or their just to dumb to understand the rules, or dare I say a big brown envelope has changed hands to help said police pass the test. Whatever the truck driver was not at fault. 

Did the truck have the lower half of his windscreen covered with a curtain and the rest of the screen almost blanked out with stickers and ecclesiastical dangles ? As this type of incident is a regular occurrence perhaps the driver might like to invest in an extra 15 'wing' mirrors so a sneaky brain dead motorcyclist can be seen jumping the queue .   

zl.JPG

15 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

'mai ruuu'

'willy! it haz in yo kuntri?'

'oh velly velly bad oh my buddha so sad'

'oh so sad lady hit bus oh no'

Freaking rude post!

I wonder what the Thais would have to say about your Thai speak.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

rode her motorbike to in front of the truck to wait for the lights

Why would the truck driver be charged?  The motorcyclist with the 'me first' mentality was obviously at fault - passing the truck on the left, then stopping in the drivers blind spot.  Awareness is not a common trait here.  All this to gain a few seconds! 

Yet another case of Me First. The woman drove right in front of the truck which had already begun to move. About as dumb and selfish as you can get, and she paid the ultimate price. Notice also in the video that the biker in front of her drove straight through before the light had changed.

19 hours ago, dblh said:

Looks like the truck is going straight, not turning right unlike this lady.

I suspect that if the rear dual tire sets don't clear the curb by going out straight initially, the truck will jump the median.

Probably more to the point is that the intersection at that location wasn't designed for large trucks making sharp right-hand turns. Not a problem for a shorter auto or motor bike. I've seen Thailand  intersections where dual trailer trucks have to make a 3-point turn traveling almost through the intersection to do so.

A couple of observations:

The truck appears to have initially stopped past the marked stopping line and inside the area allocated for bikes to wait. (I don't know the legalities here) The rider may have had problems with this and sought to retake her rights.

It's a fairly main T intersection, with right turn arrows and a wide area to turn into.  The road the truck was to turn at is some meters beyond the stopping area and all traffic has to first move forward before making the turn. There was ample opportunity for the rider to go well forward and clear the truck before turning.

Archived