Truck driver charged as woman crushed under wheels in Wichit

webfact

RIP to the lady. 

I've sat through the videos here in Thailand they show for the motorcycle license, can't remember I have seen any of this about the blind spot.

In Germany, they don't call it 'blind angle'.

In all the books, they officially call it 'dead angle', in exact translation. As harsh as it sounds, maybe it's for a reason.

Edit: I haven't watched the video, don't want to. But the overall story, the still picture, and the lack of education to get a license here, that's enough already. 

991407687_blindangle.png.8bce784935bd325068a99c098110be46.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Pity we’ll never see the headline, “Driver charged after police officer crushed under Ferrari.”

27 posts before this totally irrelevant event was raised- disgraceful. go and sit on the naughty step for ten minutes.

He was charged by the way- he failed to appear.

To charge the driver of the truck confirms to me why the problem is going to continue no matter what the government comes up with.  They themselves have no idea or training as to blame of accidents because who is training them people come from the same pool of thought.

I'm not trying to change Thailand since many will never be able to afford anything more than a motorbike. Motorbike being 85% of the death the authorities should disallow under or overtaking vehicles but since it is Thailand need to teach the danger of this practice and simple add in do it safely. In this case if anyone ever driven a big rig, Thailand know the driver is sitting on the right from the photo you can get an idea how high the driver is sitting and where the biker has put herself in front % the driver sitting high and on the right did see her. When the light change she moves and sweep in front of the truck while not noticing her earlier he moves at the same time the amount of weight of the truck just a tap less that 5KM/H Kilos of steel there is going to be damage. R.I.P.

The above is simple not taught to anyone who was born and raised in Thailand why the driver was charged. As a truck driver myself and instructor the reason truck drivers are trained differently a rule at an intersection when the light change hesitate for 3 seconds before moving this simple rule would have saved the lady life!

52 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

To charge the driver of the truck confirms to me why the problem is going to continue no matter what the government comes up with.  They themselves have no idea or training as to blame of accidents because who is training them people come from the same pool of thought.

I'm not trying to change Thailand since many will never be able to afford anything more than a motorbike. Motorbike being 85% of the death the authorities should disallow under or overtaking vehicles but since it is Thailand need to teach the danger of this practice and simple add in do it safely. In this case if anyone ever driven a big rig, Thailand know the driver is sitting on the right from the photo you can get an idea how high the driver is sitting and where the biker has put herself in front % the driver sitting high and on the right did see her. When the light change she moves and sweep in front of the truck while not noticing her earlier he moves at the same time the amount of weight of the truck just a tap less that 5KM/H Kilos of steel there is going to be damage. R.I.P.

The above is simple not taught to anyone who was born and raised in Thailand why the driver was charged. As a truck driver myself and instructor the reason truck drivers are trained differently a rule at an intersection when the light change hesitate for 3 seconds before moving this simple rule would have saved the lady life!

Can you also explain why the truck driver was waiting for the light in the area reserved for motorbikes? Had he been in the designated car area he would have been able to see her.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Totally the motorcyclists fault on this one.  Traffic had already started moving when she cut in front of the truck.  I don't see how they blame the truck driver.

In most countries it would be assumed that it was an attempted suicide. But in Thailand it is just a measure of how terminally stupid someone can be.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Can you also explain why the truck driver was waiting for the light in the area reserved for motorbikes? Had he been in the designated car area he would have been able to see her.

There is no such thing as an area reserved for motorbikes. There IS an area where motorcyclists believe they have the right to cross the stopping line and gather in front of any other vehicle waiting.

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is no such thing as an area reserved for motorbikes. There IS an area where motorcyclists believe they have the right to cross the stopping line and gather in front of any other vehicle waiting.

There are in many traffic lights 2 lines: 1 at the lights, and 1 5 meters less down the road. In between those lines you will find a motorbike sign on the road. Guess what that sign means.

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are in many traffic lights 2 lines: 1 at the lights, and 1 5 meters less down the road. In between those lines you will find a motorbike sign on the road. Guess what that sign means.

If you can see that 1.5 metre area in the photo then you have better eyesight than me.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Whether it is a area for motorbike or not isn't the issue here even if the driver was on top on it. The truck seem to have been there first. Your implication is since the truck is in the area the motorbike or anyone should demand the space that is just stupidity since you are so over match by thousand of pounds of steel the human flesh and organs stand no chance which is what happened to her.

A number of years prior to my retirement I was able to work with the California Highway Patrol in a number of seminars I seen bodies scrape off pavement because drivers on bikes and cars think they can win against a truck trucks can't stop on a dime as people think the reason truckers required special training to understand the limitation of their vehicles.

There is a saying in commercial driving " don't put yourself in a position for something to happen if you do the chances it will ".

Think about it for a second to be fair towards you since I don't believe you are Thai would you have demanded the space from the trucker if he was in fact on the box for bikers?

In Pattaya, a few years ago I saw young biker get hit by a trucker. The trucker was stopped for oncoming traffic as soon as it was clear I could see him let off the clutch just as he did the young biker decided to cut in front of him thinking he could beat him off the start the trucker was barely moving as the clutch was release the fender just tap the bike the kid when flying over the bridge the human body got no chance against steel or cement payment. Wake up stay alive.

53 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You said these areas don't exist, which is incorrect.

These areas do exist but just because they do doesn't mean you should assume it is entitled for your use only. I see cars everyday here in Pattaya sitting on top when they aren't supposed to does that mean you should get off your bike and confront the drivers you be doing it at every stop.

I see cross walk with signal lights for passenger on Beach Road you would be pretty stupid to walk across on a green without caution and just assume!

I see stop signs everywhere but never seen a person stop as they do in the west. If they do assume they are asking for a early grave. Solid or double yellow are meant " do not pass, painted red around curves are a sign to slow down, do not pass on a hill, lot of stuff suppose to be including spots for bikers "  if you actually think no one is going to violated any of these rules and assume you are safe you have been lucky so far and I wish you continue luck but like I said early " if you put yourself in a position in this case assume then it is a matter of time your number will be up.

Good luck

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

These areas do exist but just because they do doesn't mean you should assume it is entitled for your use only. I see cars everyday here in Pattaya sitting on top when they aren't supposed to does that mean you should get off your bike and confront the drivers you be doing it at every stop.

I see cross walk with signal lights for passenger on Beach Road you would be pretty stupid to walk across on a green without caution and just assume!

I see stop signs everywhere but never seen a person stop as they do in the west. If they do assume they are asking for a early grave. Solid or double yellow are meant " do not pass, painted red around curves are a sign to slow down, do not pass on a hill, lot of stuff suppose to be including spots for bikers "  if you actually think no one is going to violated any of these rules and assume you are safe you have been lucky so far and I wish you continue luck but like I said early " if you put yourself in a position in this case assume then it is a matter of time your number will be up.

Good luck

As I said and you agreed, these areas do exist.

The rest of your post, are you addressing me? Why on earths name.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, Goldieinkathu said:

I deleted it out of respect. If it was my sister I would not want that video going around. Locals don't seem to care.

You're a bit full of yourself, aren't you?  You deleted it from what

You're not a mod so you can't delete anything except from your own posts, so in this case you deliberately sought out and viewed the video (you weren't showing so much respect there, eh?) and then decided that you are the arbiter who, after bringing up the viewing subject, judged what other posters should be allowed to see?   You "wouldn't want it viewed if it was your sister" but it's ok for you to view the video that could well be of the death of someone else's sister?

On 8/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, Andrew65 said:

Yes, agreed. In my younger years I rode a bike a lot, due to necessity. Had to pass the cycling proficiency test when I was 10 (lots of Highway Code stuff).

You didn't have to, the UK's RSPA cycling proficiency test was voluntary and it did not include a Highway Code knowledge test, if that's what you were suggesting.  It was a purely practical test hence it's title! 

I know this because my parents had just bought me a new Triumph Palm Beach bike and remember being told by someone, wrongly as it turned out, that I wouldn't pass the test just because they considered that my bike was too big for me. I was 10 or 11-years old at the time, in the last (or maybe next-to-last) year of junior school, there was no theoretical Highway Code examination as such.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:32 AM, stevenl said:

As I said and you agreed, these areas do exist.

The rest of your post, are you addressing me? Why on earths name.

Yes I am address you because your comments lead me and others but of course I speak for myself that being on the box for bikes gives the person the god given right?  Go back and read my comments #77 78, why on earths name that is why!

Archived