BANGKOK
webfact

Truck driver charged as woman crushed under wheels in Wichit

A couple of observations:

The truck appears to have initially stopped past the marked stopping line and inside the area allocated for bikes to wait. (I don't know the legalities here) The rider may have had problems with this and sought to retake her rights.

It's a fairly main T intersection, with right turn arrows and a wide area to turn into.  The road the truck was to turn at is some meters beyond the stopping area and all traffic has to first move forward before making the turn. There was ample opportunity for the rider to go well forward and clear the truck before turning.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

I hope that she died quickly.

RIP.

The post says she died later in hospital... what does that convey to you?

I couldn't see the truck hit the m/c because of the cloud of (brake?) dust.

On Thai TV news the day before it was clear.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, tifino said:

9,999,999 green bottles... 

but, in a nutshell, she just boogered up the trucky's life

Its not the truck drivers fault

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Pity we’ll never see the headline, “Driver charged after police officer crushed under Ferrari.”

27 posts before this totally irrelevant event was raised- disgraceful. go and sit on the naughty step for ten minutes.

He was charged by the way- he failed to appear.

To charge the driver of the truck confirms to me why the problem is going to continue no matter what the government comes up with.  They themselves have no idea or training as to blame of accidents because who is training them people come from the same pool of thought.

I'm not trying to change Thailand since many will never be able to afford anything more than a motorbike. Motorbike being 85% of the death the authorities should disallow under or overtaking vehicles but since it is Thailand need to teach the danger of this practice and simple add in do it safely. In this case if anyone ever driven a big rig, Thailand know the driver is sitting on the right from the photo you can get an idea how high the driver is sitting and where the biker has put herself in front % the driver sitting high and on the right did see her. When the light change she moves and sweep in front of the truck while not noticing her earlier he moves at the same time the amount of weight of the truck just a tap less that 5KM/H Kilos of steel there is going to be damage. R.I.P.

The above is simple not taught to anyone who was born and raised in Thailand why the driver was charged. As a truck driver myself and instructor the reason truck drivers are trained differently a rule at an intersection when the light change hesitate for 3 seconds before moving this simple rule would have saved the lady life!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

To charge the driver of the truck confirms to me why the problem is going to continue no matter what the government comes up with.  They themselves have no idea or training as to blame of accidents because who is training them people come from the same pool of thought.

I'm not trying to change Thailand since many will never be able to afford anything more than a motorbike. Motorbike being 85% of the death the authorities should disallow under or overtaking vehicles but since it is Thailand need to teach the danger of this practice and simple add in do it safely. In this case if anyone ever driven a big rig, Thailand know the driver is sitting on the right from the photo you can get an idea how high the driver is sitting and where the biker has put herself in front % the driver sitting high and on the right did see her. When the light change she moves and sweep in front of the truck while not noticing her earlier he moves at the same time the amount of weight of the truck just a tap less that 5KM/H Kilos of steel there is going to be damage. R.I.P.

The above is simple not taught to anyone who was born and raised in Thailand why the driver was charged. As a truck driver myself and instructor the reason truck drivers are trained differently a rule at an intersection when the light change hesitate for 3 seconds before moving this simple rule would have saved the lady life!

Can you also explain why the truck driver was waiting for the light in the area reserved for motorbikes? Had he been in the designated car area he would have been able to see her.

I would hate to be a heavy vehicle driver in Thailand.

These idiots would destroy your career.

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Totally the motorcyclists fault on this one.  Traffic had already started moving when she cut in front of the truck.  I don't see how they blame the truck driver.

In most countries it would be assumed that it was an attempted suicide. But in Thailand it is just a measure of how terminally stupid someone can be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Can you also explain why the truck driver was waiting for the light in the area reserved for motorbikes? Had he been in the designated car area he would have been able to see her.

There is no such thing as an area reserved for motorbikes. There IS an area where motorcyclists believe they have the right to cross the stopping line and gather in front of any other vehicle waiting.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is no such thing as an area reserved for motorbikes. There IS an area where motorcyclists believe they have the right to cross the stopping line and gather in front of any other vehicle waiting.

There are in many traffic lights 2 lines: 1 at the lights, and 1 5 meters less down the road. In between those lines you will find a motorbike sign on the road. Guess what that sign means.

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are in many traffic lights 2 lines: 1 at the lights, and 1 5 meters less down the road. In between those lines you will find a motorbike sign on the road. Guess what that sign means.

If you can see that 1.5 metre area in the photo then you have better eyesight than me.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you can see that 1.5 metre area in the photo then you have better eyesight than me.

You said these areas don't exist, which is incorrect.