BANGKOK
jackdd

Chiang Mai, TM30 rules changed, domestic travel

Posted (edited)

In another thread a poster mentioned that a new TM30 is required after domestic travel by Chiang Mai immigration.

Until right now i thought that this was only required if we left Thailand, and not for domestic travel, because this is what they told me two months ago.

To clarify the current rules i just called them, and they did indeed confirm what the other poster said. Chiang Mai now requires a new TM30 after domestic travel. In case you do it offline in the immigration office, handing in the passport + old TM30 is still enough (and can be done by the foreigner himself even if he is neither owner, landlord or possessor), no need to complete a new form.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In another thread a poster mentioned that a new TM30 is required after domestic travel by Chiang Mai immigration.

Until right now i thought that this was only required if we left Thailand, and not for domestic travel, because this is what they told me two months ago.

To clarify the current rules i just called them, and they did indeed confirm what the other poster said. Chiang Mai now requires a new TM30 after domestic travel. In case you do it offline in the immigration office, handing in the passport + old TM30 is still enough (and can be done by the foreigner himself even if he is neither owner, landlord or possessor), no need to complete a new form.

Unflipping Real

And I expected it.  😮

• Like 2

Why, do you question jackdd's report? This TM30 issue has the Immigration folks in total disarray, primarily with the discrepancy between Immigration offices on what's required. CM had, up to now, been pragmatic about no reporting necessary for in country travel. That went against the grain of the overall law. So, now we're being rolled up into what's becoming the "NO SH*T" countrywide requirement. However, wiser heads will prevail -- oh, wait a minute -- where is it I now live....

Report every time you go out the door

Come on Jim

Now you are a reasonable guy so tell me how many Immigration Officers and how large a new building will be required to process all the overnights to Lampang, Chiang Dao and and and....

Do you really think they will do it? The cost would be incredible nationwide unless they put it all online, all.

The third floor is already standing room only!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Report every time you go out the door

Come on Jim

Now you are a reasonable guy so tell me how many Immigration Officers and how large a new building will be required to process all the overnights to Lampang, Chiang Dao and and and....

Do you really think they will do it? The cost would be incredible nationwide unless they put it all online, all.

The third floor is already standing room only!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Feel free to operate any way you like.. But that IS the law.. That IS what bangkok is now saying it IS what chiang mai said initially and made written leaflets to say so in Thai and english etc.. 

Of course, as nice fine generating systems, I expect enforcement to continue fully.. Compliance however.. 

32 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Believe me. If I had to travel outside CM province to stay with my relations in Tak, i wouldn't report sweet FA on my return, as no way would IM monitoring my movements. it's total BS, IMO.

My sentiment entirely however should you get caught out you'll be liable for a fine which I believe is in the 1,600baht range (no big deal right?) but there's worse. Your relatives would get hammered for not reporting a farang staying over and their fine would be considerably more. I saw one report of 10,000baht for exactly this 'offence'.

What's the latest on online reporting? If it was as painless as 90 day I could handle it.

• Like 1

It has always been a requirement that foreigners report their whereabouts if spending more than 24 hours away from usual address. They're just enforcing it by the looks.

• Like 1