Move Visa and extension stamp to new passport

Received my new passport (applied online and received via courrier) last week and went to immigration to move the Visa stamps over to the new passport.

Wasted day because CW immigration insist to have an embassy letter confirming the new passport and request the moving of Visa stamps from old to new passport.

Very frustrating.

Edited by userabcd

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter from your embassy is a standard requirement.

The form which one fills and supporting docs states embassy letter and in brackets (if available) One would assume if they insist to have the embassy letter then they should remove the ''if available'' from their application form.

Edited by userabcd

3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

The form which one fills states embassy letter and in brackets (if available) One would assume if they insist to have the embassy letter then they should remove the ''if available'' from their application form.

Agreed.

Consistently inconsistent.

Did they mention if a valid TM30 must be on file?

transfer_stamp_doclist.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

The form which one fills states embassy letter and in brackets (if available) One would assume if they insist to have the embassy letter then they should remove the ''if available'' from their application form.

Some embassies do a stamp in the new passport with info about the old passport and do not do a letter is the reason for the statement I assume.

16 minutes ago, userabcd said:

OK thanks for the clarification Ubonjoe.

OP, Just travel with both passports. I think from past posts Ubon advises do sooner than later and I would always follow the advice from "the main man", however I was refused transfer of reentry permit at CW because I obtained it at DM airport. Anyway I traveled with both passports until my next extension. I exit every 2 weeks so it works fine.

Edit: re read that post. Could sound negative re ubon general advice. Opposite is the case.

Edited by DrJack54

The word visa is a killer - actual visas (allowing entry) are not transferred so you would have to use two passports to get new entry.  But extensions of stay are transferred into a new passport along with reference to the original visa used for that extension of stay.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, Just travel with both passports. I think from past posts Ubon advises do sooner than later and I would always follow the advice from "the main man", however I was refused transfer of reentry permit at CW because I obtained it at DM airport.

I think your re-entry permit was the only stamp that was not transferred. You have been using your old passport to use your re-entry permit in it. Not the same as not having any stamp transferred.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think your re-entry permit was the only stamp that was not transferred. You have been using your old passport to use your re-entry permit in it. Not the same as not having any stamp transferred.

Correct. I just went checked my pp. I must of made special trip to CW for stamp transfer. They did but could not do reentry permit..

Ubon can I ask what would happen if someone obtained new passport couple of months before next 12 month extension but needed few international trips. Could they travel with both pp and do transfer upon visit to imm for next extension?

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Received my new passport (applied online and received via courrier) last week and went to immigration to move the Visa stamps over to the new passport.

Which country/embassy?

Was your new passport marked up in any way referencing your old passport, in lieu of a separate cover letter (as is the case with the U.S. Embassy here)?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubon can I ask what would happen if someone obtained new passport couple of months before next 12 month extension but needed few international trips. Could they travel with both pp and do transfer upon visit to imm for next extension?

It could be done that way but immigration at the airport would not be very happy about it.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Which country/embassy?

Was your new passport marked up in any way referencing your old passport, in lieu of a separate cover letter (as is the case with the U.S. Embassy here)?

Ireland. Went to the embassy to apply for the new passport but they suggested I do it online as it would be cheaper and quicker.

No marking or referencing at all in new passport and hence now need an embassy letter.

From what I read on passport Ireland website, when the new passport is issued the old one is invalidated and must not be used for travel.

Edited by userabcd

It sounds like you mailed your renewal back to Ireland? 

You should check with your embassy here, see if they can issue you a cover letter suitable for Imigration.

The U.S. Embassy letter is quite perfunctory, it doesn't even mention one's name, just the old passport number, along with an intro and request.

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It sounds like you mailed your renewal back to Ireland? 

You should check with your embassy here, see if they can issue you a cover letter suitable for Imigration.

The U.S. Embassy letter is quite perfunctory, it doesn't even mention one's name, just the old passport number, along with an intro and request.

I applied for the passport online and then they (dfa.ie) couriered the new passport and pp card to me in Thailand.

I plan to go to the Embassy BKK on Tuesday to request the letter, and then go back to CW immigration on Wednesday.

Edited by userabcd

• 5 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 7:10 AM, userabcd said:

I applied for the passport online and then they (dfa.ie) couriered the new passport and pp card to me in Thailand.

I plan to go to the Embassy BKK on Tuesday to request the letter, and then go back to CW immigration on Wednesday.

May i ask if you managed to get he letter from the embassy?