Getting married in Thailand

MarkW123

Hi all

does anyone know what the process for this is ? 

In particular, what paperwork is required? 

What does the “affirmation” document need to look like ? Can that be a letter from my English solicitor?

many thanks in anticipation of hearing your experience and advise ????????

Different Amphers have different requirements so its best to start at the Ampher where you intend to get married and ask their requirements.

Most of the consulates will have a standard free to marry document they issue.

I'm sorry but is this really the place for this? did you try searching using this google thing "marriage requirements for foreigners in Thailand" or a similiar search" the results come from a slew of websites that specialize in the topic. This is like posting "does anyone know how I can find my way home tonight?"

On 8/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, WalkingOrders said:

I'm sorry but is this really the place for this? did you try searching using this google thing "marriage requirements for foreigners in Thailand" or a similiar search" the results come from a slew of websites that specialize in the topic. This is like posting "does anyone know how I can find my way home tonight?"

So a dedicated Thai forum website and a sub forum on marriage in thailand is not the right place to ask about getting married in thailand.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, WalkingOrders said:

Help!

https://youtu.be/eoSn2Y-b6wI

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So a dedicated Thai forum website and a sub forum on marriage in thailand is not the right place to ask about getting married in thailand.

I think the point is that all the information is on the internet, and while the OP can obviously ask for additional information on here, he can find out the basics without asking on here first.

That's how I did it. To my regret I hadn't even looked on this sub forum before getting married, as had I done so, I might not have got married at all, and saved myself a load of grief.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think the point is that all the information is on the internet, and while the OP can obviously ask for additional information on here, he can find out the basics without asking on here first.

That's how I did it. To my regret I hadn't even looked on this sub forum before getting married, as had I done so, I might not have got married at all, and saved myself a load of grief.

You could apply that logic to every forum, the information is on google, why have a forum at all.

Google anything in Thailand and the first 3-4 results are often Thaivisa entries. open other end, 

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

And money. 

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You could apply that logic to every forum, the information is on google, why have a forum at all.

Google anything in Thailand and the first 3-4 results are often Thaivisa entries. open other end, 

Most of Thaivisa is opinion, so not on google. Some forums are DIY, and info not on google.

Warning people that getting married in Thailand is not a good idea ( in our opinion ), is not on google.

Things like "what documents do I need to get married" are factual and are on google.

I was only making a response to a different post, so perhaps you can take it up with the one that brought it up first.

Have a nice day.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To my regret I hadn't even looked on this sub forum before getting married,

Nor did the OP, UbonJoe moved the post here.

I doubt many posters can give an accurate answer to the OP as the rules all changed a few years back.

And most of us married (and divorced) before the changes.

But we can probably all advise the OP to think very carefully before agreeing to buy a Thai lady a house, and a car, and provide money for her children, and her extended family.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:00 PM, MarkW123 said:

does anyone know what the process for this is ? 

In particular, what paperwork is required? 

You really do need to narrow it down to what particular amphur office, or khet office in BKK, you plan to do the deed at. Because as is typical for government business in Thailand, the local administrators in different offices tend to make up their own rules as they go along, both in terms of requirements and documents required.

Some offices are more "friendly" and accommodating toward processing Thai-foreigner marriages. Some other offices seemingly do their best to make the process so complicated and involved that people mostly probably throw up their hands in despair and walk away.

The Bangrak khet office in BKK used to have the reputation, some years back, of being generally easier going, and they were when the wife and I married there. But by comparison, when we checked with the Phra Kanong khet office before that, the admin. there said we'd have to bring two witnesses and a formal translator (even though my Thai wife speaks/spoke good English). Bangrak, in contrast, didn't require any of that at the time.

On the Affidavit issue, if memory serves, generally, your country's BKK Embassy should have a form for that that you can fill out and submit to them for certifying. Then, you take your home country's version of that document, and have it translated officially into Thai, and then take to the two documents to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs on CW Road in BKK, or elsewhere, and have them certify the translation.

At some amphur/khet offices, again, if memory serves, if the farang has been married and divorced before, some demand you provide a copy of your legal divorce papers from where you were previously married. And if so, that also has to be translated and certified by Thai MFA. But again, I can't say what portion of the various amphur/khet offices require such a thing. But I remember some did when we got married about 5 years back.

Archived