Gillette Mach 3 blades.

SteveK

On 8/10/2019 at 7:51 AM, robblok said:

There are now bare blade type razors with protection. You can set the amount of protection by rotating the handle. Its a bit of an investment if you take the original merkur futur

Jesus.

I'm a bloke, not a girl.

What a palarvar.

If i spent that much time and money on shaving kack, i'd go back to a beard.

Re the OP, google strops and stropping, there is a bunch of stuff out there that makes any blades last much much longer.

And it works.

It's not so much blades getting blunt, more blades getting microscopically dirty.

I shave every 4-5 days inc my head (because i hate shaving), and Mach 3's would never last more than a month. Now with a proper strop, i get 3 - 4 months out of one Mach 3 blade.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 minutes ago, meand said:
why do you or anyone else need a shave that close? to the point where you are scrapping off all your skin cells? 

sincere question, i do not mean to come off as judgmental. I just never have got this, shavers do a very good job, and do not leave as many red spots and weird ingrown hairs.

i suppose if that is the look you are going for, do it, just seems like a lot of trouble to go through to somehow satisfy other people's very warped expectations. insert pic of electric shaved guy vs regular shaved guy here emoji846.png

When i first started shaving i used a braun electric shaver, never got a close enough shave particularly around the adams apple, i switched to blades and never looked back

I could be wrong! But until you have spent ~$150 or more on a shaver, your opinion does not count ????

I use the, i do not even know what they are called, not the circular rotating ones. I use a good pair of clippers. Shave very close, can do hair cuts, everything else (wont go into it in detail). Pays for itself in about two months and the good ones can hardly run over a hair without cutting it. 

seriously, get a barbers grade clippers and be done with shaving. You live in thailand for christs sake - speaking to everyone not u ????

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 minutes ago, meand said:
emoji846.png

When i first started shaving i used a braun electric shaver, never got a close enough shave particularly around the adams apple, i switched to blades and never looked back

A foil shaver is better for around the adam's apple. Rotary shavers are are bit too rigid

Shocked at local prices I did a bit of online research.

Used Lazada and Aliexpress for Mach3.

Mach3 genuine from Hong Kong half the Thai Tesco price. Jillette mach3 so obviously fake around 80 baht for 10.  I ended up buying mach3 lookalikes not fakes guaranteed to fit on a mach3  razor which they do, 153 baht including postage for 6 blades.

I buy those plastic throw away  blue Gillette 3 blades ones in Tesco Lotus (package of 3)Sukhumvit and sometimes even a 4th one  is inside when on offer , don't remember even the price ,but don't find outrages as then I would remember ….. gosh.. ! the sliding pound start making wounds it  seems ….

I use Mach3 since ages, but now they get ridiculous expensive, so I ordered a set of 8 from Ebay from a seller with lots of sales and high rating.

order arrived in 10 days, and they were really identical copies in everything, yet they were not original as I know how to check.

Contacted the seller, and he claimed they were original and he was certified seller by Carrefour.

Explained to him how I could check that they were fakes, and if he didn't agree I could take it up with Ebay.

10 minutes later I had a full refund.

I have started using them since and they are as good, if not better then, as the original Gillette.

I'm gonna order more of them lol

3 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Straight and DR (Safety) razors for men, all the rest including cartridge for girlies.

As for soap, anyone who uses that foam/gel muck from cans has a death wish – use a brush and shaving soap

Horses for courses, nobody has a thicker beard growth than me, but I have tried shaving soap, too much hassle for poor results. Barbasol every time.

34 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jesus.

I'm a bloke, not a girl.

What a palarvar.

Re the OP, google strops and stropping, there is a bunch of stuff out there that makes any blades last much much longer.

And it works.

It's not so much blades getting blunt, more blades getting microscopically dirty.

I shave every 4-5 days inc my head (because i hate shaving), and Mach 3's would never last more than a month. Now with a proper strop, i get 3 - 4 months out of one Mach 3 blade.

What is it with you to constantly need to prove your a man.. like people who dont drink beer like you do a are no fun.. who don't shave the way you do... are you not sure of yourself or something like that ?

I use that razor and an other without the safety features. Saved me a ton of money and goes quite fast once you get used to it. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

What is it with you to constantly need to prove your a man.. like people who dont drink beer like you do a are no fun.. who don't shave the way you do... are you not sure of yourself or something like that ?

I use that razor and an other without the safety features. Saved me a ton of money and goes quite fast once you get used to it. 

Dude, chill.

It's the prep, and time and multitude of creams.

I did'nt mention anything against DE safety razors.

I thought the Dutch were easy going, you're coming across all Germanic with no sense of humour.

Again, chill.

And <deleted> has drinking beer got to do with anything?

You need to sit down, relax, and er, have a beer.

Here's somewhere you can spend some money....

https://www.siamwetshave.com/en/

On 8/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, Kenny202 said:

Watsons pharmacy, who are usually the most expensive everything in Thailand do a 5 blade (made in USA) razor and they are excellent.

Were all different! for me these are near useless compared to Gillette - unfortunately as I bought 2 packs!

On 8/9/2019 at 2:20 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I'll let you into a secret, double blade cheap ones are fine, best in a hot shower. 20 baht for three from markets or 20 baht stalls, also in 7 Eleven. Small mirrors are handy, 10 baht from Buakhao market

It's all marketing with Gillette

Absolutely true. In fact, single blades are good too. But you can’t get them in Thailand. I am back in the U.K. Tesco sells them: pack of 10 BIC razors for £1.00. Each razor lasts 2 or 3 weeks. So I’m putting 4 packs in my suitcase, so they will last me the length of my 12 month visa.

As you say, hot shower to soften the skin, plenty of soap and then shaving cream. Use small shaving mirror. Make sure you put the cover back on each time to protect the blade.

Triple blades just clever marketing.

21 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Dude, chill.

It's the prep, and time and multitude of creams.

I did'nt mention anything against DE safety razors.

I thought the Dutch were easy going, you're coming across all Germanic with no sense of humour.

Again, chill.

And <deleted> has drinking beer got to do with anything?

You need to sit down, relax, and er, have a beer.

Here's somewhere you can spend some money....

https://www.siamwetshave.com/en/

I did not look at the vid at all, just showed it as an example of a safety razor. Did not know about the prep. 

I am easy going just felt that you were so negative about anyone different then yourself. Just like in the topic about drinking. 

I actually bought that razor and an muhle razor without safety. I am still using the same soap that i bought in november last year. So it lasts extremely long. Saved myself tons of money. Gillette and Gillette foam were just a ripoff. 

A straight razor.. im sure i would cut my throat with it. 

Recognizing that we are all different, I would still be willing to bet that anyone who says that a safety razor, a straight razor or a disposable razor of any kind is better than a Gillette Fusion has never actually shaved with a Gillette Fusion.

I think it is the culmination of years of engineering akin to putting a man on the moon. 

Recognizing that we are all different, I would still be willing to bet that anyone who says that a safety razor, a straight razor or a disposable razor of any kind is better than a Gillette Fusion has never actually shaved with a Gillette Fusion.

I think it is the culmination of years of engineering akin to putting a man on the moon. 

With the total lunar mission being slightly less in costs than a 6 pack of fusion blades.

I have been using Mach3 for years and shaved every day whilst in Oz now I shave every second day just don’t feel they need to be clean shaven all the time. I stocked up on mach3’s when I found a 4 box at IGA for $12 on special. I bought the 3 boxes on the hook, should have enough to last me through for nearly a year. The normal price in Oz is $16 so a bit of a saving and substantially more when compared to Thailand. 

They seem to last a bit longer here maybe it’s the water.

Several things I will stock up on my next trip, Mach3, Rexona underarm, Vegemite, paperbacks.

What really makes a difference and gives a good shave even with a throwaway is the preparation, face wash, hot towels, hot water, a good lather and someone to do it for you.

Absolutely true. In fact, single blades are good too. But you can’t get them in Thailand. I am back in the U.K. Tesco sells them: pack of 10 BIC razors for £1.00. Each razor lasts 2 or 3 weeks. So I’m putting 4 packs in my suitcase, so they will last me the length of my 12 month visa.

As you say, hot shower to soften the skin, plenty of soap and then shaving cream. Use small shaving mirror. Make sure you put the cover back on each time to protect the blade.

Triple blades just clever marketing.

Also consider trying the Tesco basic ones which are double blades, pack of 10 also £1, they are better than Lidl ones. I don't think they are BIC but could be. I stopped shaving cream maybe 10+ years ago and my hair is pretty thick.

As you say a lot of this stuff is marketing. I experimented with various blades and foam gel soap brush oil and concluded double blades with just shower gel i had in the shower does the job really well

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jesus.

I'm a bloke, not a girl.

What a palarvar.

And it works.

Agreed. Most 'safety razor' video pilots go over the top.

BTW the razor he's using - you can buy on Aliexpress for $10 with 2 years supply of Astra blades on Shopee for 220.

It only takes five minutes to lather and shave after a shower... not so much of a fuss as he's making.

I tried Fusion last year, after using a Mach 3 for a while. Must say I'm happier with my safety razor - after maybe a month getting used to it I find it just as easy (though I am not sure about my head...) for my face and armpits.

Do people really believe that Gillette products are the 'culmination of years of engineering'?

I'm sure they're driven by the same thing that led them to drive on past their first error (safety blades in stainless steel that don't rust after one use) towards ever increasing profits and tying people in to their system.

On a very basic and blatantly obvious level - there's no foam or gel that I've tried that comes even close to using a brush and soap in terms of performance or price... though I can use a disposable razor as long as I use soap and brush to lather up.

Gillette aren't out to improve anything, they're out to make money and buy out any serious competition - or spend millions on lawyers to try to shut down your Dollar Shave club type businesses that offer great products at (still expensive) vastly reduced profit margins.

Figure - you make a razor for $0.50, why sell it for $1 when you can get $10?

Just to clarify, are those cheapo razors at 7-11 as good as gillette? 

Brush and soap is the best, by the way, I use a Kent brush and Proraso soap and would find it hard to go back to gel or foam from a can.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, faraday said:

Get the grey/orange BIC blades from Tesco. About 110 b for 4 . Very comfortable shave.

However! Gillette Gel is now 350 baht a bloody can - nearly a tenner!!!

Forget the Gel in a spray, way too expensive and ecologically not good.  Many years ago I bought several tubs of shaving soap from Boots and a brush.  Easier to control and not over use.  Think it cost around 3-4 quid and lasted for over a year and close to two.  I don't shave regularly now but always use the brush and soap if I do as it seems to be less irritating to my beautiful sensitive skin. ????

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

Just to clarify, are those cheapo razors at 7-11 as good as gillette? 

Brush and soap is the best, by the way, I use a Kent brush and Proraso soap and would find it hard to go back to gel or foam from a can.

Agree 100%  - suggest you try this, made in Thailand and very good. Not a cream like Poraso but still "soft"

https://manofsiam.com/products/shaving-soap-thailand-jack-jarvis-cadwgawn?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4XTlo-j3QIVkQsrCh3qWw4VEAAYAyAAEgI69vD_BwE

Brush and soap is the way to make any blade work better and last longer.

Try Man of Siam (look on Lazada) soap and a badger brush and you will never look back. By far the best shaving soap I have ever used and lasts so much longer than the canned stuff.

I'm a shower shaver, using conventional bar soap. I swear by Gillette Sensor 2 Plus, swivel head, dual blade, foam strip, disposable (aqua and dark blue handle and head), NOT CHEAP. Anything similar just doesn't cut it, certainly not BIC. I have been unable to find these in Thailand, no matter the price. Found lots of imitations and had to buy but not good. Same for the imitations in Canada. No comparison to the real thing. Useless !

However! My recent pack of 15 Gillette don't seem to be equal in shave quality or lasting-time.

Prompted by thoughts noted here, I checked the package and it says "Made in Mexico". I have never checked this before but that could possible be the reason for the inferior quality. I have no idea where the previous ones where made, the razors that I have sworn by for years.

I saw your blades at the cash register at Makro this week, as well as most of the others mentioned above. I don't think you can do better than that in Thailand.

You didn't ask, but regarding gels, foams, what not: I use a mug and a brush. Éven when traveling, I have a soap cake in a little tub that originally came with margarine in it. The soap cakes are hard to find here, so, like many of the other guys, I stock up when I go to the States. I once tried a generic soap cake (not intended for shaving), mainly because it was round. That was a mistake. Terrible foam.

32 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

Brush and soap is the way to make any blade work better and last longer.

Try Man of Siam (look on Lazada) soap and a badger brush and you will never look back. By far the best shaving soap I have ever used and lasts so much longer than the canned stuff.

So I looked on Lazada.  ฿595 for a cake of soap? US$18? Are you out of your mind? Glad I stock up on Williams Shaving Soap from the US (see above). I don't think I have ever paid more than $1.79.

I use a safety razor (German made from Man of Siam), brush and shaving soap. Much better shave, and much cheaper. Also I am not chucking plastic into the waste system every week. The amount of plastic packaging plus the plastic on the disposable systems seems obscene to me.

Archived