Gillette Mach 3 blades.

SteveK

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Russian brand shaving foam called "ARKO" this is same as Gillette , difference is its 89 baht for a 200ml can. As for blades Mach 3 has import duties here. So i just buy Gillette blue 2 or stick with vector. By the way majority Thai's dont shave, they dont need to.  

I only use Gillette because every other blade cuts my face by second or third shave. Gillette quality blades can last me 1 month with zero cuts. Worth the money IMHO. Also use chave soap (use to get Palmolive but think it could be discontinued. Now buy Windsor from shaver shop outlets in Australia. Lasts me close to one year and they're very cheap. 

Sorry if this has already been mentioned by another poster.  I didn't have time to read every post.  But, I buy my Mach 3 blades from Lazada.  A pack of 8 blades goes for THB 690, which is a lot better than buying them in a local store (e.g., Tesco Lotus or Macro).  A pack of 4 blades sells for THB 355.  I also agree that Barbasol shaving cream is great and sold at a very reasonable price (also sold by Lazada).

How did you possibly go through 32 blades?! I use each one for about two or three weeks...at least until I can feel the blades dulling a little bit. And they dont really dull much, if truth be told; it is just that slimy green line fades away. Shave with very hot water in the sink so that the blade gets nice and hot, and you'll get a blade that lasts a very long time.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:20 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I'll let you into a secret, double blade cheap ones are fine, best in a hot shower. 20 baht for three from markets or 20 baht stalls, also in 7 Eleven. Small mirrors are handy, 10 baht from Buakhao market

It's all marketing with Gillette

i was using those Gillette Mach 3 blades for a long time until the penny dropped how expensive they were gone onto the yellow 2 blades make by Gillette i think 42 baht for 2 in 7 11 just as good maybe last longer also.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, faraday said:

Get the grey/orange BIC blades from Tesco. About 110 b for 4 . Very comfortable shave.

However! Gillette Gel is now 350 baht a bloody can - nearly a tenner!!!

I stopped buying Gillette gel after four successive cans stopped emitting gel though still feeling full. Now use wet shave, much better. Also, Gillette's website does not permit complaints, only compliments! Marketing for sure. Siam shave sell a product which prolongs the life of any razor.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:39 AM, SantiSuk said:

I agree with the poster above re Barbasol shaving foam - had been importing gel from the UK on annual family visits back home at 2 quid a can (supermarket offers) but no need to do so now I've found Barbasol. It was discounted to around 105 baht a can last time I looked in Tesco Lotus. Good rich foam and gives results as good as gel.

Used to buy Barbasol at Walgreens when it was on sale for 0.99 USD or about 30 baht.     Use a gel in LOS and the Mach 4 shaver and blades.      Always hit the ATM before buying them here.

16 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Agreed. Most 'safety razor' video pilots go over the top.

BTW the razor he's using - you can buy on Aliexpress for $10 with 2 years supply of Astra blades on Shopee for 220.

It only takes five minutes to lather and shave after a shower... not so much of a fuss as he's making.

I tried Fusion last year, after using a Mach 3 for a while. Must say I'm happier with my safety razor - after maybe a month getting used to it I find it just as easy (though I am not sure about my head...) for my face and armpits.

Do people really believe that Gillette products are the 'culmination of years of engineering'?

I'm sure they're driven by the same thing that led them to drive on past their first error (safety blades in stainless steel that don't rust after one use) towards ever increasing profits and tying people in to their system.

On a very basic and blatantly obvious level - there's no foam or gel that I've tried that comes even close to using a brush and soap in terms of performance or price... though I can use a disposable razor as long as I use soap and brush to lather up.

Gillette aren't out to improve anything, they're out to make money and buy out any serious competition - or spend millions on lawyers to try to shut down your Dollar Shave club type businesses that offer great products at (still expensive) vastly reduced profit margins.

Figure - you make a razor for $0.50, why sell it for $1 when you can get $10?

Agree 100%. I still remember that Gillette stopped Wilkinson Sword from selling a stainless (and much superior) blade because they had already patented it but suppressed it because it lasted too long.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'll let you into a secret, double blade cheap ones are fine, best in a hot shower. 20 baht for three from markets or 20 baht stalls, also in 7 Eleven. Small mirrors are handy, 10 baht from Buakhao market

It's all marketing with Gillette

I find that cheapie blades I’ve bought in Thailand and Cambodia get stuffed with shaving crap and next to impossible to clean out. 

Mach 3 blades cost more, but are extremely easy and simple to flush/rinse out under the tap, shave better, and last for many, many more shaves than cheapie blades. 

Your choice. 

I find that cheapie blades I’ve bought in Thailand and Cambodia get stuffed with shaving crap and next to impossible to clean out.     Mach 3 blades cost more, but are extremely easy and simple to flush/rinse out under the tap, shave better, and last for many, many more shaves than cheapie blades. 

Your choice. 

The cheaper double blades i use last around a month of shaves every 3 days (cost 10p\4 baht each). Easy to wash out, i use the jet shower head but i use shower gel which is less stodgy than shaving gel 

Here is what I did. I use the Fusion Proglide 5. One blade in Germany in a pack of 8 is about 3 Euro. Lasts 10 to 12 weeks for me. 

Big C has promos. Last weekend u got a coupon for 110 baht when ur bill was 799. If u bought 4 blades of those ( they also had a discount), they were 700 baht and u got a travel bag for free, official worth 299 but I'd say 5 Euro (170 baht). I bought some veggies, too, and my bill was high enough for the coupon. Now deduct the 110 baht coupon and the bag , and one blade is about 3 Euro again. 700 - 110 - 170 = 420.  Ergo 105 baht per blade. 

This goes for other products. Look out if there is a discount plus coupon plus (usable) giveaway promo, and the price may be right.

I couldn't do that with two other things here. Some meds that are way more expensive than at home, and perfume which is almost double.

5 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

So I looked on Lazada.  ฿595 for a cake of soap? US$18? Are you out of your mind? Glad I stock up on Williams Shaving Soap from the US (see above). I don't think I have ever paid more than $1.79.

Have to admit had not heard of Williams Shaving Soap (and from the reviews I have just read I am glad) but found it on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=williams%20shaving%20soap

Interesting to see how small it is and at $5.54 works out more expensive than the good local soap I recommended:

https://manofsiam.com/products/shaving-soap-thailand-jack-jarvis-cadwgawn?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4XTlo-j3QIVkQsrCh3qWw4VEAAYAyAAEgI69vD_BwE

Saving that, if you are in the States, there are several great artisan soap manufacturers to choose from.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:04 AM, jvs said:

I bought a bunch of gillette on line,cheap but fake!!!

Easy to check if they are fake or not,a lot are.

You can tell right away when you try to shave,they have a tendency to take small pieces out of your skin and that hurts and bleeds like hell.

I used to use a foam called Arko,it can not find it anymore but i read here Barbasol is a good brand,i will try that.

Why dont they invent anything that just stops your hair from growing?

I think they have,with those advertisement of lasering those armpit hairs.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Kenny202 said:

Watsons pharmacy, who are usually the most expensive everything in Thailand do a 5 blade (made in USA) razor and they are excellent. A pack of 4 around 400 baht but every month or so they have a buy 1 get one free or similar promotion on them. Get a heap of shaves from them and when getting a bit blunt go up and down about 20 times on an old pair of jeans (Google it) and good as new again. One blade would last me 2 to 3 months. I gave up foam. I ran out some time ago and was forced to use a normal bar of Lux white soap. Best shave I have had for years so I have gone back to just lathering normal soap in my hands. It used to irritate me using soap but the Lux seems to be good as gold.

Great tip! I was in there today comparing prices. Gillette's pack of 4 blades was 399 Baht. Watsons own brand pack of 4 was 249 Baht.

Ah, but I would have to buy a new shaver as well wouldn't I. Nope, they threw that in for free and the razor included 2 more blades as well.

So I left Watsons with a very big smile on my face.

Archived