Some info for the calories in/calories out crowd

dontoearth

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2019/08/counting-calories-to-stay-fit-theres-a-trillion-little-problems-with-that/

I have been very sick lately and my doctor has me on a antibiotic maintenance plan and have picked up 8 kilos.  This article explains why.  I should be able to leave this plan in about 6 more weeks.  It will take some time to get the weight back off my body.  

DNP is more dangerous than methamphetamine, but both are exceptionally good at causing weight loss. The best way to lose weight is slow and steady, eat small, healthy meals and drink as much water as you can whilst taking as much exercise as you can handle. Dramatic weight loss is dangerous for your body, and slows down your metabolism which means as soon as you start eating normally again, the weight comes back on even faster. Slow and steady wins the race.

Sure but still you need to burn more calories then you consume. I don't know why its so hard to understand. Most people try to blame almost everything.

I got a slow thyroid and I still got rid of the flab. Did not even need to do keto. Just eating healthy and less and some exercise (though the exercise is only needed if you want to go real low bodyfat).

Though exercise is always good of course.

You are right about the gut bacteria of course but for now its a pipe dream and you have to do it with what you have.

Its all about life style changes.. i now with a lot of struggle completely banished sugary drinks (was the hardest to do harder then eating healthy). It just takes time and some effort.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:53 AM, robblok said:

Sure but still you need to burn more calories then you consume. I don't know why its so hard to understand. Most people try to blame almost everything.

I got a slow thyroid and I still got rid of the flab. Did not even need to do keto. Just eating healthy and less and some exercise (though the exercise is only needed if you want to go real low bodyfat).

Though exercise is always good of course.

You are right about the gut bacteria of course but for now its a pipe dream and you have to do it with what you have.

Its all about life style changes.. i now with a lot of struggle completely banished sugary drinks (was the hardest to do harder then eating healthy). It just takes time and some effort.

Exactly - CICO is the ONLY basis for loosing weight. HOW and by what mechanisms you do are a totally different story, the debates on which is easier/healthier/more successful are countless. Food is fuel for the engine, if you burn more fuel than you consume an alternative source of fuel WILL be used. 

• 8 months later...

CICO (Calories In / Calories Out) is such an outmoded model for weight loss that has proven itself over and over to be ineffective in the long run for most people.  It completely ignores the biochemistry of of how our metabolism works that was very poorly understood until the last decade or so.

A lot has come to light about metabolic mechanisms in the last decade that simply prove that cutting calories alone is not the answer, and most people who attempt a CICO diet end up in the long-run with more fat stores than when they started. 

The real key to weight loss has more to do with controlling excessive carbohydrate intake, not calories.  It all has to do with the body's insulin response to carbohydrates, and the chain of hormonal effects it has. 

And that is especially true when it comes to "fortified" carbohydrates found in almost all processed foods these days, the biggest culprit being high fructose corn syrup, which essentially is like poison to metabolic processes!

When you are young, you can usually get away with eating anything you like, but over time that changes in a big way, and it all has to do with metabolic chemistry, not simply excessive calories.

It is true that you can not lose weight if calories consumed is greater than calories expended, but that does not mean weight loss will occur simply in the presence of a caloric deficit; there is just more to it than that.

Do some research from legitimate science-based sources, not merely some seemingly credentialed "guru" with an agenda to sell you something, and you will begin to appreciate the science behind this.

Edited by WaveHunter