Our dog has a skin problem – Not sure what to try next – Any Ideas please .

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Well Tom, it all sounds positive, & this get may be on the right track. I hope so.

I see Star has been prescribed some Enrofloxcin for a possible skin infection....

Over 5 years ago, I had a rash & a lot of itching down there, went to the doctor many times, given lots of antifungal creams, had a biopsy, and nothing cured it.

Tried Fucidin antibacterial cream, & my symptoms cleared up in a week.

Whatever happens Tom, you will find an answer, I'm sure.

Fingers crossed. ????

Hi and thanks :thumbsup:

I to have my fingers firmly crossed and will be watching Star for any improvements in her condition , I will of course post any developments along the way .

Regards - Tom 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Hi , I only put some on a small part of her skin just as a test area, and yes it seemed to make here skin look less red and inflamed . I’m going to put some more on other areas now and see how it goes.

Well after doing some online searching I found yet another local vet who seemed to have a good reputation and generally liked . So today we took Star to this 3rd new local vet in the hope that some thing good would come out of the visit. 

I took with me a full list of all the drugs / lotions / shampoos that other vets had all ready prescribed in the past . On meeting this new vet I had in my mind to first go over Stars past history and present the new vet with all the past written skin biopsy and blood test results, then wait and see what the new vet would recommend as a course of action. 

So there we were standing in front of the 3rd new local vet , again as in the past the vet was female and I would guess in her early twenties. I had already agreed to let my wife do the talking ????, normally in the past from the outset I would do the talking and my wife would some time translate if necessary. 

The vet examined Star and with out my prompting said that a skin biopsy needed to be performed , so out came the sharp blade and several areas of Star’s skin were scraped . The vet asked us to wait as she took the skin sample away so she could test it.

20 minuets later the vet returned with the skin scrape biopsy results and told us that there were no parasites evident and no indication of mange . But in her opinion the skin biopsy showed a possible chronic yeast infection ( malassezia species of yeast ).

The vet then said that as Star had now been prescribed ‘’Prednisolone ‘’ and in some dogs the use of that drug could lead to a liver enzyme activities problem. So to make sure that Stars liver does not currently have any problems , a blood test should be carried out there and then, which it was and the in house blood test results came back as all being OK.

The vet prescribed the following drugs -

1.  Prednisolone ( a steroid to treat inflammation and suppress the immune system – to help Star stop scratching ) 

2. Itraconazole ( treat fungal infections of the skin )

3. Enrofloxacin ( an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections ) 

4. Coatex ( a nutrient containing Omega 3 and Omega 6 )

Just thinking back to Stars past vet visits the words ‘’ yeast infection ‘’ was mentioned by the university veterinarian dermatologist doctor and that they had found traces of yeast in the skin biopsy , but said that it was not that serious and no drugs were prescribed to combat a yeast infection. 

So now we are going to follow the new vets advice and give Star the two week course of drugs and continue showering her with the recommended pet shampoo ( Dermcare Malaseb shampoo ) and at the same time carry on feeding Star her non chicken / pork diet .

One thing that I noticed after giving Star her first does of Prednisolone was within an hour of taking the drug she had stopped scratching her self , before just watching her scratch her skin until it bled was very distressing .????

Now its a wait and see , but going on past visits to a vet I’m still not that confident about the eventual outcome ????

Tom 

I wish you luck.  Trying to fix skin problems in a dog is a frustrating experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, hugh2121 said:

Recommend Bravecto for ticks. Brilliant. Available at reasonable price from Lazada. One tablet every 3 months. I gave one to all my dogs and no further problem after 5 months.

Have you tried antihistamine tablets. Animal hospital in Sri Racha recommend chlorpheniramine for two of my dogs who seem to have developed an allergy to humid, polluted air. One tablet at regular intervals four times a day. 100 tablets at 15 to 25 Baht, depending which pharmacy you buy from.

Bravecto to eat ?

I found this in another thread:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/bravecto

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/nexgard-chewables

I wold not give this to my animals...

• Like 1

Our dog had chronic skin problems. A couple years ago, we put her on a strict Hill's Z D, only snacks are carrot. Now only rarely get a small rash.

She refused to eat it at first. After a couple days, she broke down and came to love it.

It's normally only available through vets. However "Little Spider" sells it and delivers. They are located in Bangna. They may ship outside greater Bangkok.