BANGKOK 19 August 2019 19:22
tomgreen

Our dog has a skin problem – Not sure what to try next – Any Ideas please .

We had the same problem with our german sheperd dog. We solverd it with a bottle soy oil mixed with sulfur. Helped phantastic and is a very cheap solution also.

Mix around 0,2l oil with 100g sulfur and rub it on the skin once the week (for 2-4 weeks). After some days you will see how good it work.

Sufur you can buy here: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sulfur-powder-1-kg-i357090206-s699916201.html

More infos: https://www.google.com/search?q=sulfur+oil+dog+skin

A big thank you to every one for your thoughts advice and suggestions its very much appreciated and I am going to check out each option and I will post the results back here.

The local vet who we have taken Star to on numerous occasions carried out several ( scrape the dogs skin ) biopsy's and blood tests and prescribed a drug called APOQUEL.

APOQUEL (oclacitinib tablet) works differently than other treatments for allergic dog itch.

I researched that drug and came across many articles like this one …

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/wouldnt-give-dog-new-allergy-drug/

The cost of APOQUEL is around 6,000 Baht for 100 3.6 mg tablets.

I thought that drug cost seemed to be excessive so I would search for an alternative vet’s opinion and at the same time seek out a possible answer that I could try my self at home.  In the mean time I have purchased several items mentioned here by members and plan to give them a try . I know that seeking a vets advice is the correct thing to do , but my faith in my local vets has been severely dented by past outcomes and visits. 

I have now managed to find the nearest vet that only specializes in skin disorders on animals ( Dermatology ) and they are located at the khon kaen university veterinary hospital which is approximately a full day's 140 km round trip from where I live and they are only available one day a week . I have already prepared a written history of Star’s past visits and treatment at the local vets. 

So before I book an appointment at khon kaen university veterinary hospital , and make the long trip to there I am going to try out the suggestions posted here by other members . 

It at first glance seem that Star’s skin problem may be due to .....

1.     Malassezia Dermatitis

2.     Sarcoptic Mange

( see photographs ) 

Again many thanks every one , your input is really appreciated by my self and Star 

E1.jpg

2Malassezia Dermatitis.jpg

Sarcoptic Mange.jpg

• Like 1

Your Vet should have tested for Demodectic Mange which is easy enough to do.  If your dog is suffering from mange it is  a completely different cure than if caused by an allergy or fungus.  Unfortunately I have had five dogs with this problem.  To start, I highly recommend Braveto for dogs.  It controls fleas and ticks for three months and various skin conditions.  One of my dogs was cured by this product.  But typically you would need to administer ivermectin orally at home for up to two months.  Since your dog is small bred and old It may be better to go to a vet who can cure mange by administering weekly shots for 8 weeks.

2 hours ago, tomgreen said:

A big thank you to every one for your thoughts advice and suggestions its very much appreciated and I am going to check out each option and I will post the results back here.

The local vet who we have taken Star to on numerous occasions carried out several ( scrape the dogs skin ) biopsy's and blood tests and prescribed a drug called APOQUEL.

APOQUEL (oclacitinib tablet) works differently than other treatments for allergic dog itch.

I researched that drug and came across many articles like this one …

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/wouldnt-give-dog-new-allergy-drug/

The cost of APOQUEL is around 6,000 Baht for 100 3.6 mg tablets.

I thought that drug cost seemed to be excessive so I would search for an alternative vet’s opinion and at the same time seek out a possible answer that I could try my self at home.  In the mean time I have purchased several items mentioned here by members and plan to give them a try . I know that seeking a vets advice is the correct thing to do , but my faith in my local vets has been severely dented by past outcomes and visits. 

I have now managed to find the nearest vet that only specializes in skin disorders on animals ( Dermatology ) and they are located at the khon kaen university veterinary hospital which is approximately a full day's 140 km round trip from where I live and they are only available one day a week . I have already prepared a written history of Star’s past visits and treatment at the local vets. 

So before I book an appointment at khon kaen university veterinary hospital , and make the long trip to there I am going to try out the suggestions posted here by other members . 

It at first glance seem that Star’s skin problem may be due to .....

1.     Malassezia Dermatitis

2.     Sarcoptic Mange

( see photographs ) 

Again many thanks every one , your input is really appreciated by my self and Star 

E1.jpg

2Malassezia Dermatitis.jpg

Sarcoptic Mange.jpg

Once Star recovers, tell he she owes a drink to all who helped 😉

On 8/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, faraday said:

Try Sudocrem

71jySG1yiVL._SX679_.jpg

Very good stuff on my old dog!

• Like 1

Its good idea to ask any Vietnamese about your dog problem--they know dogs.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Recommend Bravecto for ticks. Brilliant. Available at reasonable price from Lazada. One tablet every 3 months. I gave one to all my dogs and no further problem after 5 months.

Have you tried antihistamine tablets. Animal hospital in Sri Racha recommend chlorpheniramine for two of my dogs who seem to have developed an allergy to humid, polluted air. One tablet at regular intervals four times a day. 100 tablets at 15 to 25 Baht, depending which pharmacy you buy from.

I would support using Bravecto.  Not cheap but highly effective.  Just googled Frontline and this was the answer;

Frontline Side Effects

There are many concerns about possible side effects, the most common being skin reactions like hair loss, itching, and redness, and neurological issues like uncoordinated movement and lethargy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uksmdh said:

I would support using Bravecto.  Not cheap but highly effective.  Just googled Frontline and this was the answer;

Frontline Side Effects

There are many concerns about possible side effects, the most common being skin reactions like hair loss, itching, and redness, and neurological issues like uncoordinated movement and lethargy.

Frontline or Bravecto tables or injection ?

My honest vet said that we should not inject a dog when not necessary, so she prefers pills.

But I don't know what is the cheapest, pills or tablets ?

10 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Frontline or Bravecto tables or injection ?

My honest vet said that we should not inject a dog when not necessary, so she prefers pills.

But I don't know what is the cheapest, pills or tablets ?

They are, of course, the same thing.

What's your question?

WHat about... stress!!

I know from parrots, people think they treat them right but they get all bald, due to stress. 

All other things are about mentioned except stress.

MAybe a sun allergy, causes also itch and bumps, it exist for real.

My former wife had it. I even had once allergy from cooling down, cold allergy.

Weird but exist.

I have problems myself with skin allergies from the garden,grass,and god knows what,there are sand fleas even in bare earth/din (sprayed with bleach), two options that worked were, antihistamine before, but my wifes homemade vinegar applied after turned out to be the best , stopped the itching where i just wanted to rip my skin off. VINEGAR in the dog's ear full of ticks no more ticks.