"You never saw my value" saying and Esan women

SenorJorge

This isn't the first time I've heard this phrase.  Another woman from up north used this on me.

What does this exactly mean?  It seems like another typical Thai-English phrase that they use up there that has TWO meanings.

"You never saw my value"... Meaning you never appreciated me as a wife/girlfriend/friend/person

BUT ALSO MEANS:

"You never saw my value"...  You don't ever give me enough money.

Am I wrong here?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Can anyone write this saying in Thai? Means nothing to me in English.

The real wordage would be in Lao, I'm sure.  Then it goes to Thai and then into the English translator on their phones and this is what I get.  I think theyre mad about not getting a salary but who knows?

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Not sure why this guy is so offensive - making up for inadequacy in another important area perhaps?

Inadequacy in the brain cell department I think.  Hopefully a moderator will sort him/her out soon. I like to have a bit of banter and a laugh...even schoolboy humour at times, but this guy/girl is just plain stupid and offensive.

8 minutes ago, Issannative said:

You nothing more than a silly little boy that don't want ppl to see his winky

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm sorry, I know this guy is toxic but this is pretty damn funny, I nearly wet my shorts. Obviously three sheets to the wind. Someone tell his wife to take his phone off him.

10 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Seems to have gone pretty quiet. You know this guy?

No, thank god. Maybe he got banned? But watch the news tomorrow, he may have fallen off a balcony somewhere, probably Pattaya.

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My Nan wife is always saying "If dead, dead" - which is not very encouraging 

My flat mate at University many years ago used to say something similar. He would say "if it's dead then <deleted> it", which I used to think had two meanings but then I found out he was Welsh.

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

My flat mate at University many years ago used to say something similar. He would say "if it's dead then <deleted> it", which I used to think had two meanings but then I found out he was Welsh.

I had a Welsh girlfriend years ago. I concur with your friend.

Ive met some beautiful Isaan girls, but never met one had much value as a wife. No experience with anything, most lazy and entitled, usually cant drive or cook. No help with translation or getting government things sorted out here (infact usually make things more difficult). Maturity / intellect approximately half of their age. Often temperamental, moody or violent.  Not to say theyre bad either but unless you desperately need a companion, all you are getting is something akin to a high maintenance exotic pet that you will have to entertain, feed, transport and in many cases take care of the no hopers in her family as well. Even though you are supporting her and essentially you would think she would be your eternally grateful best friend, through all this you will be at the bottom of her list of priorities after parents, friends, kids, relatives and even some Thai person she just met 5 minutes ago. I often wonder how some guy feels after the initial infatuation stage, after hes invested his life savings into a home, vehicles, dowry etc all in the beleif he was getting a Ferrari...only to wake up and realise he has a heavy bag of cement around his neck, with all his assets and future legally in her name

You've hit the nail on the head but I would have to add the obvious comment that Isaan girls are still people and there is some variation, however unfortunately the Isaan school system is still shocking and the chance of a smart person having the opportunity of a Western standard of education is almost nil, if the parents won the lottery they would buy pick up trucks and gold, not waste it on a university education abroad for their kids, it just doesn't seem to register. Living in Isaan I am quite frankly shocked to see my step son just not go to school whenever he fancies it, and whenever he is at home in the morning I ask my wife why he's not at school - "Buddha holiday" she says, it seems sometimes that they get at least one day a week off practically every week some times of the year, no wonder they don't learn anything.

To get back to Isaan ladies, yes I think education is a key factor in their behaviour. The pretty ones are the absolute worst. I spent some time with probably the most stunning girl I have ever met about 12-13 years ago. 21 years old, about 40kg and an easy 10/10, but the laziest, most uneducated and self-entitled person I have ever met. We were talking about a map of the world on a wall somewhere and she told me that Africa was a country and I asked her to point to it but she couldn't, it was one of my first times in Thailand and coming from the UK I was gobsmacked. She wanted someone else to pay everything for her, all she wanted to do was watch TV in the day and get drunk at night. She used my laptop to access her email but didn't log out, when I turned on my laptop her inbox popped up and there were a lots of guys names there, by all accounts she was doing well for herself. I didn't read anything because I didn't want to feel creepy but I had heard the stories about what these girls do and now had seen with my own eyes.

Then on the other side of the coin is my wife. Also poorly educated, but enjoys studying and learns a few extra words of English a day. She is by no means stunning but absolutely refuses to take a day off work ever, works really hard and owns her own business. She can also get grumpy over fairly small things. House paid for, Toyota pick up paid for, 2 motorbikes and she is in the process of buying a third for someone. Lots of money invested in land, gold and property. Still, if I ask her if she could go on holiday anywhere in the and I will pay she says Chiang Mai. She says she has no reason leave Thailand. I can't imagine a Brit having a similar view lol.

I guess what I am saying is that if you go for a super stunning young lady from a region with a totally shocking education system, there are going to be some severe cultural incompatibilities, you wouldn't rush into marriage in your own country so don't do it in Thailand also. I don't mean this in a degrading or poking fun kind of way, but I have always found it interesting to ask Thai people if they know where countries like Canada, USA, South Africa etc are on a map, it's fascinating that anyone anywhere can get into their 40's and not know where Canada is on a map. I don't see anyway that I can help to fix the Thai education system, but if there were an easy way for me to be able to teach something at the local school I'd gladly do it for a few thousand Baht a week.

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

You've hit the nail on the head but I would have to add the obvious comment that Isaan girls are still people and there is some variation, however unfortunately the Isaan school system is still shocking and the chance of a smart person having the opportunity of a Western standard of education is almost nil, if the parents won the lottery they would buy pick up trucks and gold, not waste it on a university education abroad for their kids, it just doesn't seem to register. Living in Isaan I am quite frankly shocked to see my step son just not go to school whenever he fancies it, and whenever he is at home in the morning I ask my wife why he's not at school - "Buddha holiday" she says, it seems sometimes that they get at least one day a week off practically every week some times of the year, no wonder they don't learn anything.

To get back to Isaan ladies, yes I think education is a key factor in their behaviour. The pretty ones are the absolute worst. I spent some time with probably the most stunning girl I have ever met about 12-13 years ago. 21 years old, about 40kg and an easy 10/10, but the laziest, most uneducated and self-entitled person I have ever met. We were talking about a map of the world on a wall somewhere and she told me that Africa was a country and I asked her to point to it but she couldn't, it was one of my first times in Thailand and coming from the UK I was gobsmacked. She wanted someone else to pay everything for her, all she wanted to do was watch TV in the day and get drunk at night. She used my laptop to access her email but didn't log out, when I turned on my laptop her inbox popped up and there were a lots of guys names there, by all accounts she was doing well for herself. I didn't read anything because I didn't want to feel creepy but I had heard the stories about what these girls do and now had seen with my own eyes.

Then on the other side of the coin is my wife. Also poorly educated, but enjoys studying and learns a few extra words of English a day. She is by no means stunning but absolutely refuses to take a day off work ever, works really hard and owns her own business. She can also get grumpy over fairly small things. House paid for, Toyota pick up paid for, 2 motorbikes and she is in the process of buying a third for someone. Lots of money invested in land, gold and property. Still, if I ask her if she could go on holiday anywhere in the and I will pay she says Chiang Mai. She says she has no reason leave Thailand. I can't imagine a Brit having a similar view lol.

I guess what I am saying is that if you go for a super stunning young lady from a region with a totally shocking education system, there are going to be some severe cultural incompatibilities, you wouldn't rush into marriage in your own country so don't do it in Thailand also. I don't mean this in a degrading or poking fun kind of way, but I have always found it interesting to ask Thai people if they know where countries like Canada, USA, South Africa etc are on a map, it's fascinating that anyone anywhere can get into their 40's and not know where Canada is on a map. I don't see anyway that I can help to fix the Thai education system, but if there were an easy way for me to be able to teach something at the local school I'd gladly do it for a few thousand Baht a week.

It sounds like we have trodden exactly the same path 5555. I too now am with a more normal girl, hard worker, very giving and unselfish and she also likes to sulk haha. Good in every other aspect. Like you I went for the pick up model, not the Maserati. The Isaan squawk is starting to get to me though. They don't seem to be able to have a normal conversation without raising their voice. Comes from growing up in a village and the pack mentality. If I am noisey it means I am more important than you. 

My first Thai GF a stunner, and nothing but trouble. Borderline personality disorder as well and quite violent. She used to say she "get short in brain". Could be off her scone for 3 days. Lazy, selfish, cold. All 7 deadly sins. I was tired of her 2 years before I actually got the chance to get shod of her. Very hard to get rid of. I used to ask her what she did for me. She would reply "I live with you every day" 5555.

Yes and of course there is variation. My first one from a bar background as was probably yours. I'm not sure if the bar ruins them or they were ruined before they worked there but most of the working girls while fun etc, usually come from horrific backgrounds, criminal families. Of course they are lazy and selfish etc or they wouldn't be degrading themselves in a bar. Mind you if you saw where most of them came from and their background you could see why they would think working in a bar was glamorous. Same as a hooker back home, they are just better actresses. And you certainly wouldn't pick up with one. Not for a relationship anyway.

Education system here is designed to be that way and I don't know if it is any better anywhere in Thailand. Not only are they not taught about countries and history they are also taught not to take an interest in any of these things. "Not import for me". I had a senior school teacher 62 yo live next door to me. I told him I was from Australia he said "up or down Thailand?"

Archived