Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Which shop in the UK can I buy a can of coke for the equivalent of 14 Baht ?

I never buy fizzy drinks but I see that Tesco have 12-packs of coke for £4, which is about 12.5B each by my reckoning.

The other items on your list are a lot cheaper in the UK.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You sound like a paranoid old man. Just because you are using a debit/credit card, doesn't mean that the "government" knows where you

spend your money. Your bank knows, of course. 

Well I suppose that if the government wants to know, all they have to do is ask the bank...

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Looks like a walk round Grasmere.

Nowhere in Thailand compares to Grasmere.

Does look like a beautiful area.    There are a few places quite pretty in Thailand as well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, rumak said:

Does look like a beautiful area.    There are a few places quite pretty in Thailand as well.  

Indeed...... and Vietnam even more so.

I have Thai friends in the UK who have said that no province in Thailand can hold a candle to the Lake District.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Get on a bus , doesnt accept money , just cards .

Last time I went back in 2017... the "Oyster cards" I used last trip in 2010  still worked fine...they where bought without ID from a corner shop way back in 2004 !!! (if memory serves)  topped them up too..wonder if they'll still work next trip home.

Its nice to walk in the woods Autumn time smells really  "woody"  nice cool weather.

P_20171103_112358.thumb.jpg.779a4313723526e42788531cab55db41.jpg

29 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Thailand would look a whole lot more beautiful if they would simply pick up the garbage littered everywhere.

I hope we can all agree that each place/ country has its good points and bad .  Those of us that are pretty content where we are have decided that our location makes us happier than the alternatives. 

I miss the beauty and clean air of Northern California.  But there are many more reasons that I prefer Thailand.  Its just an individual thing based on our lifestyles and priorities.  As is often said, nothing is perfect.      No city anywhere is beautiful to me... though I have lived in a few.   The only real concern I have is the pollution.  This time of year no problem and a pleasure to live here.  If I find the pollution to be more than I want to live with I will make a change .  One must always be ready to adapt.   SORRY:  I see now this is the home country forum.  i guess i went a bit off topic.  

20190730_075522.jpg

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Not to mention all the money saved on visa and forced insurance costs.. That will save quite a bit too I assume.

If your referring to having to put monies in a Thai bank. Where you gain interest in my case some 30th bht a year. You will also find that you don't have to have forced insurance. That compares about the same as I get in the UK banks. Last year I received 28p interest in my UK one.

Note to self return all my monies to the UK ASAP.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JAG said:

Well I suppose that if the government wants to know, all they have to do is ask the bank...

Why would anyone (Government)  want to know what bus you got on or what you had to eat ?

The only reason why they would ever do that was if you commited a serious crime 

1 minute ago, federico said:

and it will be so pleasant in a month or two when cold rains will pour and cold wind will blow and you'll be freezing cold for the next 10 months wearing big jackets big shoes and scarfs and gloves and.......

cheers

fred

....then you get a cold, so you turn the heating up.

....leccy bill comes.....

£500 for the quarter!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Has even 1 person said: "Welcome, handsome man?"

ha ha.

the only people that say that here in Thailand are prostitutes, who are basically saying:  Hello you big fat swear word foreigner.  Give me all your money!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am just off for my leisurely walk around a local lake here in Thailand, 4.45am I'll start.

Pretty sure I couldn't do that back in my home city in the UK, although not been back for 14 years myself !

of course you can!

And you wont have wild dogs to contend with either

• Confused 5