Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

Just been watching Sky news. I see that Kings cross station and many others are not operative due to the electric being down since yesterday. 1mill: people being effected in eastern UK. 90% of shows have been closed due to high storm winds & bad weather.

Only wish I was there to help out but sorry no can do as I'm stuck in Thailand suffering all the mild weather we have at present. Only 32c 88f in old monies today so your not missing much.

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Agreed. I don't like the idea of the government knowing where and how I spend my money. I prefer to pay cash whenever possible. If they go to a cashless society, then like the internet, they can just throw a switch and turn it off, meaning you have no money. Same for the 'cloud'; I don't trust it. I prefer to keep my information/data on my own computer, especially in light of the near-constant 'data breaches' which expose hundreds of millions of people's personal information.

Or like in britain, the power grid crashes coz they closed all the coal based plants

Edited by Fred31
1 hour ago, johng said:

My wife loves chicken feet too !!!! ????

I don't dislike them the way wife does them. I would indulge today but I have some other things I plan to eat. By tomorrow I won't get a look in as all 3kg will be gone. Both my daughter and wife have had 2 plates already today, more I suspect later.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am just off for my leisurely walk around a local lake here in Thailand, 4.45am I'll start.

Pretty sure I couldn't do that back in my home city in the UK, although not been back for 14 years myself !

I did it all the time in London. Loads of parks with lakes and foul. Some with Deer. You can hardly walk in comfort in a park in Thailand without serious sunblock and umbrella. Mind you I never get up at 4.45 I am already up. That's around the time I get home 555.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Actually, the lake I walk around, Beung Kaen Nakhorn in Khon Kaen, must have over 100 stray dogs there every day, and they have never been a threat to either me, or other walkers/joggers as far as I am aware, in 5 years.

As for the burning season, as it is close to the city centre, and away from the crop fields, the air never bothers me, and when I go to the asthma clinic every 3 months, my spirometer reading improves every time. It is also kept clean on a daily basis, and I have never seen broken bottles lying around.

In a simiar environment in the UK, I would be in fear of moped gangs, knife gangs and smackheads. 

Bueng Kaen Nakhon, excellent  place to walk or jog around early morning. Fully agree no issue with the dogs. Gets busy early evening but still enjoyable. Haven’t been around there for quite a few months, are they still working on the new walkways around the lake? Recently we have been going to Bueng Thung San lake or around the KKU area. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Has even 1 person said: "Welcome, handsome man?"

Probably not but when someone says in the UK "can I help you" they're not automatically working to an agenda to extract cash from you

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Orderly but dull though, eh op! If it's not a flying visit and you have to work, that initial elation might eventually change. Of the driving, that can be orderly, but away from the motorways/dual carriageways, I find the driving exasperating nowadays. You either have to contend with Sunday-driving, retiree time thieves doing 40 everywhere or knob-head-BMW-driving tailgaters. I'd take Thailand's hard-drivin', big roads any day. :tongue:

Btw: full size Twix / big bag crisps are equivalent £1 in 7/11 also. UK supermarkets are all over Thailand's for choice, quality and value.

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I went back last year for a 2 month stint at Cambridge. I found the food cheaper at the local Tescos (fruits and vegetables, in particular).

They are more direct and no bs smile. But the PC is overwhelming, as are the amount of Chinese everywhere.

Not my grandma's country anymore. I do miss the rule of law, however, and that exists there.

Thats good that the Chinese are there ...make it seem a  bit more like Thailand . At least you can go to the chinkie and get a pork fried rice after the pub .

1 hour ago, cliffhornsby said:

Must be nuts, i went to UK last November for a month, cold, expensive, full of foreigners, serious people, a pint £5 cigarettes £10 for twenty, give me Thailand any day

5 quid a pint where maybe some places in London but even most pubs in London are less in Essex 3 pound 20 a pint in witherspoons 2 50 I agree cigs are expensive but no 1 I no buys from the shop they pay 5 quid from the local guy who buys from abroad and tobacco as well 12 quid a packet 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cliffhornsby said:

Must be nuts, i went to UK last November for a month, cold, expensive, full of foreigners, serious people, a pint £5 cigarettes £10 for twenty, give me Thailand any day

Yes,. I suppose you have to take lifestyle into account. If it is expensive because of fags and booze then tough. As said previously, decent food and drink and day to day housewares are significantly cheaper............. I mean, can you even get Chateauneuf du pape in Thailand?

Foreigners may need defining.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sateuk said:

5 quid a pint where maybe some places in London but even most pubs in London are less in Essex 3 pound 20 a pint in witherspoons 2 50 I agree cigs are expensive but no 1 I no buys from the shop they pay 5 quid from the local guy who buys from abroad and tobacco as well 12 quid a packet 

Try Edinburgh