Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

56 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I love the bright sunlight in Thailand - even during the monsoon season we get some sunlight to cheer us up.  UK seems to have permanent grey clouds 10 months a year.

But agree that the supermarkets are great.

But I'm not keen on any Islamic countries, prefer the Buddhist culture 

Not much sunlight after 18:30.

My missus loved it still being light at 10 pm in the UK.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sateuk said:

5 quid a pint where maybe some places in London but even most pubs in London are less in Essex 3 pound 20 a pint in witherspoons 2 50 I agree cigs are expensive but no 1 I no buys from the shop they pay 5 quid from the local guy who buys from abroad and tobacco as well 12 quid a packet 

My daughter lived near Hammersmith and Wetherspoon’s William Morris became a regular meeting place.

Proper beer at just over 3 Quid a pint and decent meals at sensible prices. 

Bonus....download the app and order/pay at the table. That could be while before it reaches Thailand hostelries.

10 hours ago, NightSky said:

You can’t be comparing like for like. Internet in UK is 27gbp/month not 50 etc

Most utility bills are more expensive in UK but food is cheaper. Although it depends how much fuel you use as to how much it costs and also what energy rating your house is.

I'm paying 1248thb / 35gbp (current fx rate) for 500/500Mbps connection - how fast are those 27 quid internet connections you're talking about?

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

They now pay 474 pounds a month just for utility bills.

God, knows what they using then - I know I'm on my own but my water is max £12, my electric is max £50, my gas max £40 (averaged) = £100 quid ish a month. They must have the heating on all day, water the lawn all day and cook 2-3 meals a day ! They are the problem - no the utility company !

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
49 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

God, knows what they using then - I know I'm on my own but my water is max £12, my electric is max £50, my gas max £40 (averaged) = £100 quid ish a month. They must have the heating on all day, water the lawn all day and cook 2-3 meals a day ! They are the problem - no the utility company !

You missed off, council tax, TV licence, maintenance of general areas/window cleaning guttering etc charged on some properties with communal areas, household insurance, internet.....

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Greenhill said:

Boy, you ARE old!!!!!

By comparison to you, we most probably are, & that is because you, are young. You're not even 40, & that is when you 'start life'. My father used to tell me so, & of course, I didn't believe him. He was right.

Anyway, no doubt you'll dismiss my post with a "meh" or whatever the young, inexperienced, & innocent - yes, innocent do these days.

Enjoy your day; & reading my wordy post!! :laugh:  ( 'tis the Alzheimer's y'see) ????:w00t:

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They are a family of 3 living in a 4 bedroom house. Regardless of what you spend on your own I see that you have missed out the council Tax, TV licence, Rent, insurance, and the internet. Question Do you get those for FREE.. We can all come up with small prices if you leave 50% off the total They also live in London. Any chance of your real total???

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

You live in a shed ?....????

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

They are a family of 3 living in a 4 bedroom house. Regardless of what you spend on your own I see that you have missed out the council Tax, TV licence, Rent, insurance, and the internet. Question Do you get those for FREE.. We can all come up with small prices if you leave 50% off the total They also live in London. Any chance of your real total???

Are they free in Thailand ?

Every Thai visa poster seems to live in a 60 000 Baht a month condo in BKK

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It would appear for the type of London home they possibly reside in - value circa 320k plus - their council tax charge per month will be in the region of GBP 250.00

There are services provided for the cost of course, and many council activities, and, intiatives, never the less it is a compulsory payment.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Right lets get this right. Nothing is free. But living here is a lot cheaper than living in the UK.

To start with we don't have council tax. TV licence.

Water bill is low mine is 6 pound UK a month.

Gas that's out of a tank just for cooking I use around 3/4 a year 11UK each.

Electric is the biggest bill as that's used for everything mine is never more that 80Uk a month A lot less most months.

As I have said in a previous post total less than 100UK a month. A bit more if add on the internet. That's 600bt a month for 120mb. you can half that price if you want less M/B.

That compares with what my daughter pays on the edge of London. I don't charge her rent but her utility bills are not far short of 500UK a month time you add it all up.

What people pay in BKK can be cheaper than the 60th you state. Some high rise Pent houses will cost about 40th, but people paying those prices will normally be getting paid western wages. I know several people that pay around 12th a month rent in BKK.

Whatever it's still nothing like what it would cost to live in central London. That's thousands of pounds a month for rent alone.

I have a sister in law that lives in BKK and she gets buy on 8th BT a month wages. I don't know how she does it but that's a fact. She doesn't pay rent, but she has to pay for all the electric water and food. And that's for 2 of them.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2
On 8/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Thaiwrath said:

I am just off for my leisurely walk around a local lake here in Thailand, 4.45am I'll start.

Pretty sure I couldn't do that back in my home city in the UK, although not been back for 14 years myself !

I just had a stroll on the Common , stopped for a pint of real beer at the Tigers Head. Then fed the ducks at my local pond and made a pot of decent tea which I enjoyed with just a splash of real milk accompanied by a couple of dark choccy Hobnobs.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1