The bad exchange rates is in a way another visa tightening..

2 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Although I always met the income requirements, legitimately, I thought it lame that all that was required was a "sworn" affidavit, notarized by the embassy. Some guys I saw at at embassy looked like they would likely leave the grounds and return to selling chewing gum on the BTS flyover.

But, I do wish the crack down came a few years back when the baht was weaker. 

I hear what your saying but they would still be in the same position now, crap exchange rate and needing an extension of stay.

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

The UK embassy never provided sworn affidavits and required credible supporting evidence - the bank statements I sent them were certainly legit. It was pretty shoddy of them to kowtow to immigration the way they did.

The initial announcement made was that the other embassies would follow suit and scrap income letters too. This process has now completely stalled, leaving the majority of countries free to continue providing income letters with impunity, and making the whole thing look like it was a targetted crackdown on those English speaking countries who had been vocally critical of the regime here. 

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has used an unverified and documented income letter to meet the financial requirements.

5 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Some users reported using a pound denominated deposit account in a Thai bank and it was accpeted by immigration. So basically you don't ever need to exchange to THB. 

I knew a guy ....

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Assuming you putted 10666 Pounds, (which was the equivalent of 800000 Thb at a certain moment) , in a Pds account in a Thai bank.

If you go today to Immigration, sure the officer will tell you this 10666 represent only about 400000 ThB, and you need an extra 400 to obtain an extension. 

Why put the exact amount if the price fluctuate? It's a little bit like those who send 65K baht and complain they got rejected because the bank charge 500 baht fees. People complain about the exchange rate. I am simply pointing out that you don't need to exchange your money. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I bet a lot of Brits wish they would have transferred their 800k over a few years ago.  Seems to be a UK specific issue, not a visa  issue.

no it isn't

against the Thai baht since 2016 % drop

USD - 14% 

EURO - 15%

GBP - 18%

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

no it isn't

USD - 14% 

EURO - 15%

GBP - 18%

When in 2016? I looked at early January to yesterday and

GBP - 30%, likely you are looking much later in 2016!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That was a bit deep but interesting.

"...terms of trade and international reserves have a significant impact on the THB/USD..."

I thought you might be implying some actual connection, some version of the pre-'97 peg.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
21 minutes ago, smedly said:

USD - 14% 

EURO - 15%

GBP - 18%

When in 2016? I looked at early January to yesterday and

GBP - 30%, likely you are looking much later in 2016!

Right - any time before the June 2016 referendum and the drop would be in the 30% range (and increasing).

It's a valid point though, the baht is absurdly overvalued, and even Thailand's most wanted (the Chinese and Indians) have seen their currencies nosedive against the baht recently. 

3 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Look on the bright side, I remember when the GBP was at 28 during 1984 at a time when the THB was pegged to the USD at 23 before it was floated, and I'm still here!

As do I in my earliest/ first trips here. But I do recall everything seemed really cheap even in GBP terms. 

• Like 1