Thailand resolves to reduce road accidents, a national road safety event was told

rooster59

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

47 y ago ... why not compare the roads accidents between France and Thailand in the 17*century ?

The max deaths on roads in France arrived in 1972 with 16, 545 dead; and since this date , (47 years ago) ....

we are very far from the people who die in Thailand  since they went from the buffalo cart to the automobile

it decreases constantly until reaching 3,400 deaths in 2015 and now it is even less with a population comparable to Thailand ...

You can try to get me all the numbers and stats you want, Thailand has never done anything to reduce the number of road deaths since they have motor vehicles.

https://infogram.com/evolution-du-nombre-de-morts-sur-les-routes-entre-1io argument at all.960-et-2015-1gx3pw4kx0xvmgr

It would seem you haven't really thought about this much and dint understand the arguments. You are just resorting to stating the obvious without any analysis or critical thought. I see no points in your post that nerit discussion.

The point I'm making is that countries with horrific road death figures can improve, but it can take 4 to 5 decades and they need to adopt a scientific system, i.e. the "Safe System" as adopted by EU countries and now in OZ and New Zealand.

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

The Thai government should consider the method used by some China cities - total motorcycle ban. That would instantly cut a huge number of deaths.

You'd need to consider the social and economical implications before implementing such an authoritarian measure.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:24 AM, Airbagwill said:

You'd need to consider the social and economical implications before implementing such an authoritarian measure.

To the Chinese cities, the ban resulted in less deaths, injuries, pollution and robberies. Definitely a lot of social and economical benefits. This is one advantage of an authoritarian government over others - authoritarian governments often dare to make unpopular decisions whereas others would often kick the problems further down the road for others to deal with.

Hanoi is going to ban motorcycles in 2030. In my country, Malaysia, we have lots of problems with motorcycles too, but no way something unpopular like banning them would ever happen. That's why I believe a communist country like Vietnam would overtake Malaysia in many areas in the next 10 to 20 years.

"To the Chinese cities" - precisely...in CHINA..........you simply cannot compare these 2 countries and the systems of law enforcement.

The demographics and composition of traffic in Vietnam is completely different from Thailand as is the death per 100k figure for VRUs.

The science of road safety is universal but how to apply it varies from one country to another.

land is the land of meetings, but regardless of the topic very little is ever achieved due to the national aversion to confrontation and losss of face - Kreng Jai has a ;to to answer for and should NEVER be underestimated by western observers. 

It is however possible that INTERNATIONAL loss of face could spur the Thai authorities into action.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:55 PM, Selatan said:

The Thai government should consider the method used by some China cities - total motorcycle ban. That would instantly cut a huge number of deaths.

If you banned motorcycles from cities in Thailand the local economy would collapse. 

Probably triggering a swathe of deaths for other reasons.

7 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

If you banned motorcycles from cities in Thailand the local economy would collapse. 

No beed to ban, police, control, penalise, crush, fine, ban, etc etc etc, 500 today 500 tomorrow, and then bring in a pollution control levy in area's, all of these fines will pave the way for motorcycle only streets.  

1 minute ago, Almer said:

No beed to ban, police, control, penalise, crush, fine, ban, etc etc etc, 500 today 500 tomorrow, and then bring in a pollution control levy in area's, all of these fines will pave the way for motorcycle only streets.  

This is why there is no change in Thailand - they don't have any of the infrastructure required to carry out this sort of stuff. They have drifted along for so long that putting it in place will cost trillions. Quite apart from the road and traffic engineering required one needs a trained police force and a dedicated admin to carry out this sort of thing. As for collecting fines - ...come on!

12 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Not all cities in China have banned motorcycles. Only large cities have done that. Rural areas and smaller cities did not ban them. Those cities that had banned motorcycles have very good pubic transportation systems. China has 37 cities with urban rail lines, totalling 197 lines, total length over 6,000 km.

If Thailand really wants to cut the number of deaths involving motorcycles, it needs to introduce urban rail to many more cities and to add more lines to Bangkok.  and then only ban motorcycles.

5 hours ago, Selatan said:

Not all cities in China have banned motorcycles. Only large cities have done that. Rural areas and smaller cities did not ban them. Those cities that had banned motorcycles have very good pubic transportation systems. China has 37 cities with urban rail lines, totalling 197 lines, total length over 6,000 km.

If Thailand really wants to cut the number of deaths involving motorcycles, it needs to introduce urban rail to many more cities and to add more lines to Bangkok.  and then only ban motorcycles.

You seem to be changing tack.

As i said earlier Thailand simply doesn't have the infrastructure to introduce the changes needed to improve road safety.

Yes it certainly needs to rethink its transport policies from the ground up....this requires a huge investment in both i frastructure and people.

In order to develop a home motor industry, Thailand started going down the wrong road  30 or 40 years ago and every year makes the problems more difficult to solve.

PS have you read the road safety figures for China?

4 hours ago, Almer said:

It is easy to say the right things in front of an international audience on road safety, however that audience will not forget your plans and will want to see results and not just on paper.

the thing is they AREN"T saying the right things......they are offering inoperable platitudes whilst ignoring the underlying causes. They are just pandering to popular opinion.

I'm sure some people there presented well based scientific papers on the topic but that either went over their heads or was not what they wanted to hear.

A friend on Facebook just posted a picture of a wreck outside his home it's been raining I commented driving to fast for conditions he replied wet slick roads this from the same person flying on a rain soaked road coming back from Bangkok they don't learn anything

2 minutes ago, Fred white said:

A friend on Facebook just posted a picture of a wreck outside his home it's been raining I commented driving to fast for conditions he replied wet slick roads this from the same person flying on a rain soaked road coming back from Bangkok they don't learn anything

This is the kind of post that demonstrates the poster doesn't understand the first thing about road safety or the arguments presented on this thread.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:05 AM, ChipButty said:

My wife is disappointed she thought Thailand should be No1 

Correct me if Im wrong but these figures are based on the deaths at the accident? not taking into account the ones who die weeks later

Not weeks, as long as your heart is stiil beating when they scrape you off the road and throw you in the ambulance, you can't become a road death statistic.

9th in the world is the lowest I have ever seen reported. They used to come consistently 2nd and one year 1st, despite massively massaging the statistics. If truth were known, I'm sure they would come top of the class every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

3rd behind Liberia and Tanzania according to Wikipedia.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/10/countries-with-the-most-and-least-road-traffic-deaths/

2nd here. (2018) Lybia top by a measured mile. Come on Thailand!

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This is the kind of post that demonstrates the poster doesn't understand the first thing about road safety or the arguments presented on this thread.

Yes I do understand road safety. Rain slick roads you slow down, Thai drivers don't understand this concept. Until they educate the drivers the carnige will continue

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not weeks, as long as your heart is stiil beating when they scrape you off the road and throw you in the ambulance, you can't become a road death statistic.

This is not true!

It seems that the level of understanding what these stats mean is at kindergarten level.

Thailand is "number one"? - of What?

The problem is one needs. to look not only at ALL the stats available, but also at how they are compiled and used and what they mean.

Here are a few for example....... in a 4-wheeled car your chances of dying area out the same as USA.

For number of cars per death - Thailand ranks 102nd in the world.

There are NO stats for the number of collisions nor for the internationally recognised injury categories.

There are no stats for the distances travelled per death.

There is no scientific examination of MVI sites no measurements taken, in fact there is no-one even trained o do so........

simply looking at one stat and drawing a blanket conclusion as to the underlying causes regarding road safety in 

Thailand is just too simplistic and facile.

7 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Yes I do understand road safety. Rain slick roads you slow down, Thai drivers don't understand this concept. Until they educate the drivers the carnige will continue

QED - you don't - citing single incidents or untutored personal anecdotal evidence is insufficient and can be applied all over the world - a totally pointless exercise.

"My friend saw a crash so that is the solution to all Thailand's road safety problems"

without a full scientific investigation into just this one incident it is impossible to draw any real conclusion and with over 20million vehicles on the road it cannot represent a significant statistic.

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This is not true!

It seems that the level of understanding what these stats mean is at kindergarten level.

Thailand is "number one"? - of What?

Number 1 for road deaths per 100,000 population per annum. Simples!

The rest of your post is just Thai apologist nonsense.

44 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Number 1 for road deaths per 100,000 population per annum. Simples!

The rest of your post is just Thai apologist nonsense.

QED - both not actually true and not that simple. what about all the other WHO stats and elsewhere and it says nothing about the underlying causes. Just simplistic media rubbish

10 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

QED - both not actually true and not that simple. what about all the other WHO stats and elsewhere and it says nothing about the underlying causes. Just simplistic media rubbish

It was the WHO who quoted that fact at the conference. The underlying causes are irrelevent. Thailand as either the 2nd or 6th highest death rate for road accidents per 100,000 population in the world per annum. That makes them amongst the most dangerous roads in the word. QED.

I have provided sources to back my statistics up (not media sources) have you?

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

It was the WHO who quoted that fact at the conference. The underlying causes are irrelevent. Thailand as either the 2nd or 6th highest death rate for road accidents per 100,000 population in the world per annum. That makes them amongst the most dangerous roads in the word. QED.

Possibly the most ill-informed answer on the thread.

the whole p[ointis that the WHO has loads of OTHER stats about road safety in Thailand and if you look you will see their paucity compared to other countries and may even get a better picture of what is actually going on. 

To suggest that the underlying causes for are irrelevant to road safety is probably the most asinine statement on the thread.

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

Possibly the most ill-informed answer on the thread.

the whole p[ointis that the WHO has loads of OTHER stats about road safety in Thailand and if you look you will see their paucity compared to other countries and may even get a better picture of what is actually going on. 

To suggest that the underlying causes for are irrelevant to road safety is probably the most asinine statement on the thread.

Sorry, you continue to talk nonsense and are starting with the personal insults now. I'm outta here.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Sorry, you continue to talk nonsense and are starting with the personal insults now. I'm outta here.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Oh dear! I'm using the same figures as you, but im using the complete set...

Archived