The week that was in Thailand news: The moaner on the bar stool is at home on the internet!

rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: The moaner on the bar stool is at home on the internet!

unnamed.jpg

Years ago when the internet was but a gleam in the eye of a few scientists, before we were bombarded with more information than was good for us, before our lives went irretrievably online....life seemed so much simpler. 

If one wanted to avoid people it was easy. You just avoided them. I always did that to people who were moaning about Thailand and the Thais. It was not that I wore rose tinted specs 24/7 (a phrase I didn't use then) just that I had accepted Thailand for not being perfect ...I didn't need the company of people who called themselves "expats" and those who got their kicks from kicking Thailand. 

My mates and I reveled in the fact that Thailand was as good as it gets and by and large I still believe that, despite the fact that the country has changed so much and because it has changed. But in these days of www. and social media there always seems to be that "guy on the bar stool" when I turn my computer on, a necessity in my line of work.

It's like I'm being stalked! And rather like the brainwashing in North Korea it's hard not to be affected by it....at least in part. His moaning is everywhere, constant and tedious. Good people, reasonable people try to fight back, try to present sane and cogent arguments.....but they are shouted down by the noise of this vile and vocal minority.

And despite the fact they seem to be everywhere I believe they are in the minority. 

This week on Thaivisa in stories from taxis to TM 30, dual pricing to duels on the highway, crime to conspiracy theories.....my stalkers were everywhere telling me how bad Thailand is.

Well, I beg to differ. 

First up was the story about taxi fares going up. It's about time if you ask me - they have been too cheap for too long. This is not the only reason that some some money grabbing drivers behave badly but it has been a contributing factor. The funny thing is that back in the 1980's we all used to complain about taxis all the time. Many drivers taught me Thai but many were, in the hallowed words of Donald Trump, very bad. One "black plate" miscreant even killed a Japanese man over a few hundred baht who arrived at Don Muang with his bride on honeymoon.

There were no meters in those days and the traffic and flooding in Bangkok were even worse than now. A fare would be agreed then one had to ride uncomfortably in old rattle bucket cars while the driver moaned about his lot as a precursor for asking you for more than what was agreed.

When the meters came in - and many newer cars arrived - all that changed. Yes, I know tourists are taken advantage of. Yes, I know passengers are refused. Yes, I know there are baddies out there. But that has always been the case. It's better now than it was with CCTV and other cameras and video to help the authorities. (Even if one moonlighting cop driving a cab threatened a fellow motorist with a gun this week!)

Expats - led by a French lawyer in Isaan - have been signing a petition to have the enforcement of the TM 30 legislation scrapped. A total of 3,400 had signed by midweek. It has been part of a huge amount of moaning about and against Thai immigration. It's largely unwarranted and has become like a sport on Thailand forums with complainers harping on about everything no matter what the Thais say or do to the contrary.

One leading official said not to bother with TM 30 in most cases. This was ignored by the detractors who continued on their bashing agenda like a wife on a "perma-period".

Back in the day our very existence in the kingdom could be decided by a tax assessor on a visit to the Banglamphu office. Visa options were limited. And visa runs meant overnight trips to boring Malaysia. All other land borders were shut. You could fly somewhere but that was relatively much more expensive than it is today. 

I got Permanent Residency in 2003. It was not a walk in Lumpini park. It took the best part of one and a half years, involved a lot of expense and a mountain of paperwork and visits to government offices. Now people moan incessantly about having to have money in the bank to retire or key in a few numbers on an app - may the Lord Buddha help us. So many whingers believe that Thailand owes them just because they have decided to live here. 

Dual pricing has always been a problem in Thailand but to hear the gripers today you'd think it was an ever increasing modern phenomenon. The new tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn addressed the matter this week suggesting something would be done. That would never have happened years ago - it was just brushed under the Thai carpet - a luxurious shag pile that these days is much barer even if not yet transparent. 

Yet still the moaners railed at Pipat as he tried to make a positive difference. He was called a liar for stating the truth about the tourism figures. (These are known to all bashers based on looking out of the bar window). The idea that the tourism landscape would be buoyed by the arrival of Indians and more Chinese was shot down in a hail of bullets. 

The Chinese can’t behave. Yawn. The Indians are stingy. Double yawn. Westerners keep the economy afloat but are being hounded out by petty immigration rules and Thais who clearly hate them and take advantage at the drop of a hat. Triple yawn. What a load of garbage!

As former British PM Harold Macmillan once said: "You've never had it so good!"

I was a little concerned by Pipat's comments regarding aiming to make tourism 30% of GDP, however. There is increasing competition for the tourist dollar and he should be focusing on how Thailand can better do that rather than believing that the golden goose will continue to lay. One step in the right direction was visa free entry for Indians and Chinese that is expected to come in when the waiver period is up later in the year. Even this was slammed.

Personally I understand about free entry to a country. I have qualified to represent Thailand in a world Scrabble championship in India, a place I love, but it is somewhere I am reluctant to go because of high visa charges for Brits. It'll cost me the best part of 8,000 baht to leave Thailand (yes, residents must pay to exit) and get into India.

The moaners continued by disparaging Thai efforts to teach Chinese to traders in Khao San Road. This seemed like a positive move to improve communication but, it was the beginning of the end for the iconic street, said the detractors. Bless - it's always been an absolutely ghastly street ever since the backpackers discovered banana pancakes in Asia. The Chinese couldn't make it any worse and will probably improve it. 

Then the moaning about the exchange rates hit new levels, something I didn't think was possible after recent weeks. And the Thais were blamed once again for manipulation of the currency markets. Utter twaddle mostly from the Brexit-deniers. 

The rates have always fluctuated and it is better to go with the flow and make adjustments rather than complain incessantly about things you can't change. I came in 1982 when it was 42 to the pound. A couple of years later it had dropped to 33. In 1997 it went up 10 baht in a week (oh, how the teachers at my school moaned they were suddenly being paid less!). Later in 1997 it was trading at well over 80. In 2004 it was at 73. Prior to Brexit it was mid 50s now its 38. Accept it and adapt rather than moan. And don't make assumptions about the value of foreign currency - then blame Thailand when things go pear-shaped. If it's 40 next year be thankful. If it's 30 or less.....suck it up. 

Promoting Thailand to Nordic visitors was blasted by the moaners as pathetic. Why would the wealthy from Northern Europe want to come to Thailand they bleated into their online suds. Why not? Thailand is warm and pleasant and overwhelming welcoming. It always has been. Places like Krabi have felt more like Scandinavia than Thailand for decades. Even the 2004 Tsunami - Sweden's biggest peacetime disaster - never permanently changed that. 

For some people no matter what the Thais do, it is not enough. Much maligned DPM Prawit admitted that the death toll on the roads was in excess of 20,000 this week. The cost to GDP was 50 billion baht a year. More, much more needed to be done he told a seminar. Yet still the baying hounds said he and the Thais were in denial. They are not. 

A staple of Thaivisa is the issue on Thailand's roads yet posters - many of whom should know better - just bash every effort to change things. They do the issue a disservice by claiming that poor driving and lack of police enforcement is the be all and end all of the problem. 

The reality is that a huge part of the problem is due to motorcycles and particularly young people without helmets riding them. And drink driving. Which is why the Thais - who, believe it or not can read and understand the surveys they undertake - are concentrating on these issues rather than attempting to raise driving standards across the board. That would be futile in comparison at this stage in the country's development.

Then there is crime. Some would have us believe that Thailand has never been so dangerous. These are the people who claim that the world in general is far more dangerous than at any time in the past. The diet of supposed anarchy and mayhem that social media serves up fools them.

Thailand and the world is safer than ever. We live longer and are less likely to be hit by violent crime than in our youth. Admittedly, there are pockets where this is not true. Thailand is not one of them. And a Swede having his gold necklace and amulet ripped from his neck this week does not prove your conspiracy theories!

Apropos, we were told that 40% of the CCTV cameras in Pattaya were not working. When I was a lad there were no such things and criminals and terrorists had free rein to do as they pleased with little prospect of getting caught. My school trips to London were cancelled because of the IRA. A few incendiary devices in some bins in Bangkok is hardly worth mentioning in comparison to the wanton slaughter of my youth.

It is much safer now and one of the benefits of social media we are seeing is that more people are caught and held accountable providing deterrents to others. Back in the day we didn't even have DNA, a crime tool that has put even finger printing in the shade. 

Of course this will fall on deaf ears for some. But please stop bashing Thailand and saying how bad it is. It is not. take a deep breath and be positive. Thailand is better than ever. 

By now regular readers might think that Rooster has had a visit from the TAT this week for a bit of attitude adjustment. Not a bit of it. I'm just happy. Happy with my Thai wife. Happy with Thai men. Happy in the street. Happy at home. Happy with my kids and their school. Happy on my bike. And ecstatic with the ever improving exchange rate......Nothing is ever perfect of course, but I am not going to blame Thailand for anything, least of all my own shortcomings.

The "Double Standards" award goes to the Thaivisa posters who saw nothing wrong with a policeman kicking someone off their motorcycle but screamed injustice when a motorcycle taxi rider did the same thing to another rider. Everyone should abide by the law - if you have any doubts about that I would refer you to Thomas More about giving the devil the benefit of the law in "A Man for All Seasons". 

Finally, and especially as I have been banging on about Thailand far more than is good for my health this week and also as recompense for suggesting last week that those down under would get their comeuppance in the Ashes series, I would like to praise Australia. 

Euthanasia is now legal in Victoria and this week a woman in extreme pain with a terminal disease was the first to legally end her life. Her daughter Nicole Robertson said in a statement issued by the charity Go Gentle Australia:

"We were beside her, David Bowie playing in the background, surrounded by love, with final words spoken, simple and dignified. 

"To me that is the greatest part: the knowledge that we did everything we could to make her happy in life and comfortable in death."

Hear, hear.

Rooster

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-10

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting read as always... and a good rant as well!

"...And despite the fact they (the whiners/whingers/complainers) seem to be everywhere I believe they are in the minority..." 

Respectfully, they ARE in the minority.

Yes, there is a great deal of moaning/whingeing/whining on TVF, but I will also point out that there is also a great diversity of opinion and commentary (including some valid criticisms), if one looks for it; the trick is to see the good stuff while ignoring the bad. And, while this might be difficult for Rooster, my solution when I get fed up is to give TVF a miss for a while when it gets annoying. 

Unplug, my friends. And, if you can't unplug for a while, then perhaps get a prescription for this new-fangled medicine called... 'Weed' (I hope that I have spelled that correctly), get a hug from loved ones and simply relax for a while.

It works for me...

Have a wonderful day, ya'll!

There seems to be a predominantly higher amount of whining from citizens of one or two particular countries, at least it seems to me and I believe if you're read tvf for any length of time you'll see it. What makes me laugh is the number who chirp constantly that don't even live here on a full time basis, are kind of pathetic in a way. As the SB says, sometimes you just need a little sabbatical from tv for the negativity can get a little grating. I love living here and have been happy for many years. Marrying my Thai wife was probably the best move I've ever made and living here with her in Thailand are my dreams brought to life on a daily basis. 

Good post, though a bit sweeping.

I agree that wholesale whinging without balance or focus is not helpful and is widespread among the expats...but it doesn't give anyone a free pass to ignore the more realistic, informed, and fair criticism from a few posters here.

I also find it interesting that Thais (let's call them our "control group") seem to be complaining more as well these days.  I'm wondering if you would you be so quick to write off their concerns?

23 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

There seems to be a predominantly higher amount of whining from citizens of one or two particular countries, at least it seems to me and I believe if you're read tvf for any length of time you'll see it. What makes me laugh is the number who chirp constantly that don't even live here on a full time basis, are kind of pathetic in a way. As the SB says, sometimes you just need a little sabbatical from tv for the negativity can get a little grating. I love living here and have been happy for many years. Marrying my Thai wife was probably the best move I've ever made and living here with her in Thailand are my dreams brought to life on a daily basis. 

If i had to take a wild guess about the Thai bashers and whiners. Oddly the same people who are constantly getting themselves into trouble. I would say #1 The Germans #2 The Swedes And tied at third place #3 The Brits & The Aussies .  They just have a knack for getting themselves into trouble.

Every one is different, many see things differently,

to be human is to be flawed and god knows I have some flaws,

I am what I am,  you are who you are, 

never let the bastards get you down.

Breathe the air, smell a flower,

live life.

3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

If i had to take a wild guess about the Thai bashers and whiners. Oddly the same people who are constantly getting themselves into trouble. I would say #1 The Germans #2 The Swedes And tied at third place #3 The Brits & The Aussies .  They just have a knack for getting themselves into trouble.

I don't want to get into finger pointing for it's about as helpful as the action depicted above. There are many reasons for putting down others, sometimes its just about propping yourself up..

One can normally rely on Rooster's TWTWIT for a few sarcastic bashes at the Thai authorities, some trips down Memory Lane, a bit of education regarding Thai customs, and quite a few smiles.

Not this week - just a rant.

For me it was disappointing. I agree that there is far too much moaning on TV, but devoting almost the whole article to it  - too much (IMHO).

Thank you Rooster. I've been reading you for a while and thought it was about time to express my appreciation. Like you, I am happy here, mostly. The Thai authorities have no obligation to me at all. I am truly thankful that they allow me to stay in their Kingdom. 

2 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

What about people who use a general comment about bashers and whiners to whine and bash 4 specific countries, amusingly enough showing "evidence" of people of undisclosed nationality being physically bashed by Thais to prove their point?  :whistling:????

' Of course this will fall on deaf ears for some. But please stop bashing Thailand and saying how bad it is. It is not. take a deep breath and be positive. Thailand is better than ever. '

What is better than ever? not the exchange rates, unless you want to go back to 1925, not the road deaths, not the vast wealth inequality, immigration, don't make me laugh. The government maybe and the higher ups, not unless you are a masochist. Education system definitely not, inflation no, interest rates, hardly. Some things need to be 'bashed', the TM30 nonsense for one. Carry on with the rosy spec reports, but I am not convinced. Valid criticism is not hate or bashing is it, neither is trying to improve the lot of ex pats.

The advantage of TVF, over a bar stool neighbour, is that you can always "turn TVF off", or at least select not to read threads which you dislike, without the hassle of paying your bar bill, and moving elsewhere, in the hope that your neighbour doesn't turn up next to you again!

Speaking as one who does my share of criticising ("bashing"), if you don't like what I say, either argue or ignore me - I don't really care. But please understand, the fact that some things draw adverse criticism from me doesn't mean that I don't like to live here - I do. I also completely understand that venting criticism is not going to change anything.

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The moaners continued by disparaging Thai efforts to teach Chinese to traders in Khao San Road. This seemed like a positive move to improve communication but, it was the beginning of the end for the iconic street, said the detractors

I agree with everything, nearly.

But, you read Thai right?

Thaivisa change the story.

Original thai story.....

“Khao San Road Official Organise Local Business to Practice Language and Technical skills to Assist China Tourist”

that what the story about right Mr Rooster? Or not? 

Is positive story. We help the tourist. 

But you change it to

Out with the backpackers in with the Chinese - Khao San Road makeover continues

The days of Khao San road being a haven for Western backpackers seem to be well and truly over. 

Gone are the days of banana pancakes and fake student cards - here are the days of vendors greeting tourists with a hearty "Ni Hao Ma".

Is negative fake story make everyone think backpacker farang not welcome. Only Chinese welcome. They think and say “Thais hate farang, only love China”

But story not say that. Only Thaivisa team say that.

why? Why? Why?

Fake translate to make the moan guys happy? To moan more? Or not? Sure.

You do same way nearly everytime translate thai news. Try to make everyone laugh at the stupid thai people. Moan, critisise, mock, complain and ridicule thailand.

Many member say impolite to me. I don’t care about this people.

But when you lie, and you know that you lie, it make me anger. Really.

Oh well I suppose Rooster can claim to be acknowledging, if chastising a minority group, mostly I read, occasionally rebuff, but seldom take on board overzealous generalizations and complaints

Not considered newsworthy enough for an article, it is what it is

An interesting and entertaining read... Thanks Rooster.

....and for what it’s worth, I too believe there are many overwhelmingly unbalanced and unwarranted Thai’s bashers on this forum. Equally so there are many overwhelmingly unbalanced ‘rose tinted’ Thai supporters who berate any criticism no matter how valid and no matter how comprehensively the same criticisms are mirrored by Thai’s in the Thai forums.

A healthy balance, its all about that, but its clear there are so many unhinged people around us.

If this forum does one thing it outlines our differences and allows us to appreciate or be made aware of the different and often radically unbalanced views of others, in some cases it simply shows us the bigotry and bias, and in other cases the outright misogyny we’d otherwise be unaware of when peddling through life with the misguided belief that most other people aren’t ‘bat-sh!t-crazy’ !!!!

11 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

The video you posted looks like a ferrang being attacked by a Thai guy and then jumped by another Thai guy who happened to be walking past so total cowardice and by the look it’s the Thais causing the trouble in this video. Thais are not angels either.

Mr Rooster has written many good articles over the years, but this is not one of them. Utter garbage the point about road traffic. Thailand's road toll is an international human rights disgrace. Thailand has always been and continues to be a great place, but it definitely has it flaws. If people want to vent, let them vent. You do not have to agree with them or better yet, don't read it. Turn your PC off and go for a walk or play golf.  Go shag some girls, whatever blows your hair back

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

You do same way nearly everytime translate thai news. Try to make everyone laugh at the stupid thai people. Moan, critisise, mock, complain and ridicule thailand.

Is anyone else here finding the irony of this too perfect? 

Mr. Rooster, a bit annoying to have your intentions misunderstood and be written off as "just a moaner," isn't it?  Your OP did the same disservice to some with real concerns here on TVF by caricaturing their concerns and lumping them in with the braying morons.  It was generally good, but it did overreach and go a bit "rose-tinted brigade."

Neither a moaner nor rose-tinted-glasses-wearer be.  richardsmith_237 had it right.

I'm a bit disappointed I thought somebody might come up with a few examples of how 'Thailand is better than ever' maybe the OP was just being sarcastic? I am going to give up reading his piece, I know how long he has lived here now, he seems to mention it almost every time. ????

Nothing wrong with having a moan, you wouldn't be human if you didn't have a whinge every now and again, and MUST i remind everyone, we are in Thailand, so she cops the brunt of it, i.e. if we were back home, then home would cop the brunt of it, e.g. it's not perfect anywhere, home or Thailand.

I will say this, my plan a decade ago to move here 4 years ago, almost came unstuck, yes listening to all the negative posts here on TVF, myself also jumping on the bandwagon, almost led me to the push the "return back home button", as one poster or more said if you don't like it, go back, no one is stopping you, suffice to say, I used to say that on TVF to others prior to getting caught up in this moaning and whining, because let's face it, Thailand is not perfect and it doesn't help when you have a Thai on this forum that constantly throws it back in your face, now (blocked), too thick for me to handle.

So I sat back and started writing down all the things that urked me about Thailand and the things that urked me back home, Thailand won as the biggest urker hands down, that said, I had to change my approach and drop the ball when they throw it at me and walk away, it's the only way I will survive here, i.e. by letting the things that I cannot control or change, go, it is not my loss, so to live out my retirement here, I have to accept all the things that urke me, not that hard to do when you shut off, getting to that stage was the hardest part, but I am there, ask me how I feel when the burning season starts up when they all start up burning their rice and sugar cane fields and choke everyone out of here, yes I am having a go, but plan (B is in place, holiday away from the smoke filled province/s, it's the only way to survive here, because nothing is going to change.

Going back to the old country is always an option, but as it's still cheaper to survive here and the fact that I don't have to return to the workforce, I will keep in the back of my mind, but for now, it's keeping the positives or lack of them, in a positive state of mind, i.e. keeping the demons at bay, but this TM 30 thing I tell you what.............lol ????

As usual a series of brilliant observations.  I identify with most of your life, except for being wise with my money and learning Thai.  I have only been here 19 years and arrived too late in life to be able to learn the language.  But I did become a PR and in my case the process took 6 years and involved things like going to the police hospital menopause clinic to have a doctor certify that I did not have third stage syphilis (apparently first or second stage would have been okay).

Re the drivers The best part oof going to get a new drivers license is when they make you watch a video where they pretend there are rules.  There are only two rules:  1.  All motorcyclists are suicidal and don’t care who they take with them;  and 2.  Nobody is ever in the lane they want to be in.

Cheers.

Archived