The week that was in Thailand news: The moaner on the bar stool is at home on the internet!

rooster59

2 hours ago, Martinwatersave said:

A brilliant article. Hits the nail right on the head. Calls out the Brexit moaners who want to stop immigration in the Uk and want to be free to travel the world themselves.

Immigration and travelling ( the world ) are not the same thing.

I would have no problem with immigration if it was done on the same basis as they do in Saudi Arabia.

However, when I was working in the UK, I discovered that someone would immigrate to the UK, work the 5 years or whatever and become a resident, then bring their aged parents ( who never paid a penny in tax in the UK ) over to live and get the NHS to sort their medical problems out for free. It's no wonder the British have had a gutsful of it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, from the home of CC said:

There seems to be a predominantly higher amount of whining from citizens of one or two particular countries, at least it seems to me and I believe if you're read tvf for any length of time you'll see it. What makes me laugh is the number who chirp constantly that don't even live here on a full time basis, are kind of pathetic in a way. As the SB says, sometimes you just need a little sabbatical from tv for the negativity can get a little grating. I love living here and have been happy for many years. Marrying my Thai wife was probably the best move I've ever made and living here with her in Thailand are my dreams brought to life on a daily basis. 

I'm one of those chirpy guys, consider my home is Thailand, as that is where my wife and family are located. I work away in the UK as this will provide the income to meet my needs when I retire

Thing is, I have no gripe with the UK, I have had a good life here, and, have been treated well by my home country

Thailand will become my adopted home through choice, so no gripes there either, bills will always be to pay, life to be lived, and I am an adaptable sort of guy with plenty to look forward to.

Through my visits and my family I am in touch with every day life in Thailand, but have little need to do anything at this point about many of the negative 'issues high lighted' other than note the concerns,success, or failure of others and learn from their scribings, it is imperative being aware that I am me, and they are them.

I think it is too easy to condemn those who try and fail, I condemn them for their tunnel vision, the repeated premise that everyone is the same, and thus what issues they have experienced will apply to all.

I could spout about how good my life is, because it is, and the future is rosy without spectacles.

Nothing to moan about, plenty to still learn, but no fear for my future in Thailand with my Thai wife, children, and family, looking forward to it, thanks to my upbringing hard work in the UK, I come not to get uptight and moan but to relax

Am I qualified to comment on Tvisa, well as I have stated, we are all individuals, some will say yes, others no, I can live with that ????

16 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

And since a lot of the people that complain the most seem to be those who want to live here part time, well, yes,  I find that pathetic.

Many people split their time between 2 or even more countries these days and that is likley to increase. They have issues just the same as anyone else - they are not pathetic.

I have been trying to make the move since 2008. The world wide recession thwarted me the first time and then, just as I thought things were getting better, house prices had picked up and I'd get a decent price for my house in the UK, the Brexit vote happened and I was screwed again.

I have a lot of connections to and in Thailand and I don't think I have any less rights to make my views known than you have. Your real time status in Thailand is a visitor and so is mine when I visit.  You can call me and others like me pathetic if you like but I don't agree.

People have every right to make their views known no matter how long they stay in Thailand. Tourists can comment on tourism issues, long term visitors, on their issues and those who come and go, on things that affect them etc. etc. None are not wrong to do so - but they may go about it the wrong way.

Moaners and Apologists.

Black or white.

Never that simple! I consider there are many shades of grey in this world, particularly in this country in which I choose to live.

Thailand is still an exotic paradise, with so many advantages over all other affordable retirement destinations and is by far my preferred country to spend my rest of days.

Unfortunately, however, it is not the complete slice of heaven many attribute to it and refuse to hear dissension.  The flaws are manifest and shouldn't all be ignored or accepted as a cultural thing.  At the risk of being labeled the hackneyed bar stool moaner (never been comfortable perched on one, and no longer drink anyway), I believe some concerning issues are sometimes in need of raised voices, however impotent an expat's opinion may be.

My biggest concern, is the seemingly uncaring attitude of authority, and their reluctance to do anything concrete to fix the slaughter on the roads. Personally, I get really sick of seeing dead bodies, covered in their own blood and gore, in my path so often.  The OP seemed to contradict himself in this matter with these two sentences:

"They (moaners) do the issue a disservice by claiming that poor driving and lack of police enforcement is the be all and end all of the problem."  
"The reality is that a huge part of the problem is due to motorcycles and particularly young people without helmets riding them. And drink driving."

Immigration procedures irk me greatly, not because of money issues, for which I made allowance from the start, but because of the ever changing and extra tasks they continually invent to seemingly frustrate their clients enough to go the Agent route. For many, trips to Immigration involves lengthy travel, and being told that extra documents are now required is very annoying. Getting fined for breaching rules previously unknown can be infuriating.  I really don't think a long term PR who thinks all can be solved by clicking a few computer keys is really qualified to comment on this issue.

As an Australian, I do moan about the ever decreasing exchange rates for my dollar. Many countries and characters around the world are responsible for this decline, I don't blame the strength of the Baht. Although, personally speaking, it would be nice if it were to be devalued. Anyone being paid in the local currency should be happy with their lot, not attacking the unfortunates who are seeing their spending money decrease by 30% or more.

Other than those issues, I'm not concerned with the little things such as taxi costs, dual pricing, etc.  Protest by avoidance works there.

If I feel unhappy with conditions here I can always just repeat the number 251 in my head.

That's the winning margin from the first cricket test between Australia and the boastful English. 

7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I'm one of those chirpy guys, consider my home is Thailand, as that is where my wife and family are located. I work away in the UK as this will provide the income to meet my needs when I retire

Thing is, I have no gripe with the UK, I have had a good life here, and, have been treated well by my home country

Thailand will become my adopted home through choice, so no gripes there either, bills will always be to pay, life to be lived, and I am an adaptable sort of guy with plenty to look forward to.

Through my visits and my family I am in touch with every day life in Thailand, but have little need to do anything at this point about many of the negative 'issues high lighted' other than note the concerns,success, or failure of others and learn from their scribings, it is imperative being aware that I am me, and they are them.

I think it is too easy to condemn those who try and fail, I condemn them for their tunnel vision, the repeated premise that everyone is the same, and thus what issues they have experienced will apply to all.

I could spout about how good my life is, because it is, and the future is rosy without spectacles.

Nothing to moan about, plenty to still learn, but no fear for my future in Thailand with my Thai wife, children, and family, looking forward to it, thanks to my upbringing hard work in the UK, I come not to get uptight and moan but to relax

Am I qualified to comment on Tvisa, well as I have stated, we are all individuals, some will say yes, others no, I can live with that ????

You appear to have an excellent attitude towards life and a maturity that sadly is lacking with many these days. Hopefully by the time you decide to reside here full time many of this issues that are causing present consternation will be resolved to most peoples satisfaction. Years ago I read a lot of info on culture shock, for when I worked my first overseas job (in the K.S.A.), I had it bad initially until I got my head around it. I believe there are some posters who suffer from this greatly and never dealt with it and because of that, the skies will always be gray here. They seemed to never let go of the notion that things should be as it is back home. I'm glad this country doesn't fit into some preconceived mold, its one of the reasons I'm here.  

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Who mentioned 1 week per year. I visit every 8 weeks for 2 weeks and many offshore workers for example do the same or similar. Some have families in Thailand.

And folks such as yourself will have many more interactions with immigration than someone like myself who extends once a year for a full year based on a work permit. Life with regards to immigration is much less chaotic for me than for someone who is coming and going on a regular basis. So I feel these folks have a much higher need to draw upon the collective wisdom of TVF.

3 hours ago, Martinwatersave said:

Are you actually comparing Thailand to the brutal regime of East Germany. Come on man get real 

Total reach. There was absolutely no comparison made or implied. He was simply using his home country as an example of a place where progress came at a price. The point being that progress does not come while standing still.

Nice article Mr Rooster. All things considered, I think you got off light.

1. Stockholm Syndrome. He's obviously heard that in a bar as, as far as I'm aware, you haven't been abducted.

2. Ass kisser. Well, you knew that was coming.

3. Residents v tourists. Very few tourist serial complainers. Except the residents masquerading as tourists. Or vice versa. Draw your own conclusions.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, rooster59 said:

Thailand and the world is safer than ever.

Don't come to the USA. It's a horror movie. Much worse under Trump the racist. Thank God I live in Bangkok and only periodically visit my former home and country. I thoroughly agree with the foregoing - I am happy in Thailand, scared in the US. No complaints will roll off my tongue.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Nice article Mr Rooster. All things considered, I think you got off light.

1. Stockholm Syndrome. He's obviously heard that in a bar as, as far as I'm aware, you haven't been abducted.

2. Ass kisser. Well, you knew that was coming.

3. Residents v tourists. Very few tourist serial complainers. Except the residents masquerading as tourists. Or vice versa. Draw your own conclusions.

Nice, and can confirm that I am yet to be abducted. 

Rooster

I usually enjoy your column, but this is the most unsympathetic piece you've submitted since your onslaught on British pensioners back in October, after they had the insolence to complain about the UK embassy ditching their income letters. Personally I don't consider myself a Thai basher at all and I try to limit my whinging to only the most worthy causes - otherwise I love the place, get on great with the locals and have always had warm connections and relationships with people here, I also pretty much agree with your assessment in your long list in post #62. But it's a mistake to conflate serious complaints with trivial gripes and ignore the fact that many of the latter include a healthy dose of sarcasm, often directed at anyone and everyone, local or otherwise. By lumping all critics together in the same pot and labelling them as Thai bashers, you're insulting the intelligence of people who have a genuine axe to grind on some real problems here. My issues with this week's diatribe:

On 8/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, rooster59 said:

Expats - led by a French lawyer in Isaan - have been signing a petition to have the enforcement of the TM 30 legislation scrapped. A total of 3,400 had signed by midweek. It has been part of a huge amount of moaning about and against Thai immigration. It's largely unwarranted and has become like a sport on Thailand forums with complainers harping on about everything no matter what the Thais say or do to the contrary.

One leading official said not to bother with TM 30 in most cases. This was ignored by the detractors who continued on their bashing agenda like a wife on a "perma-period".

Anyone who doesn't recognise the TM30 enforcement debacle as an appalling development by immigration surely needs their head examined. One poster reported this week he was fined for not filing a TM30 for his baby. Children don't even get fined for overstay here - this is scandalous.

Your second paragraph is incorrect and has been directly contradicted by the head of Bangkok immigration this week who confirmed they're now required for every out of province trip.

I got Permanent Residency in 2003. It was not a walk in Lumpini park. It took the best part of one and a half years, involved a lot of expense and a mountain of paperwork and visits to government offices. Now people moan incessantly about having to have money in the bank to retire or key in a few numbers on an app - may the Lord Buddha help us. So many whingers believe that Thailand owes them just because they have decided to live here. 

That kind of explains why you don't care much about the TM30 problem - if you're on PR, you're exempted from filing them. A certain Peter Sellers film from 1959 springs to mind, and it's not one of those from which immigration shamelessly stole Henry Mancini's theme music for their TM30 terrorist video cartoon. 

As former British PM Harold Macmillan once said: "You've never had it so good!" 

Surely that was a mistype and you meant to write bad? Those trying to live here and support families on UK income or pensions have quite literally never had it so bad. 

The rates have always fluctuated and it is better to go with the flow and make adjustments rather than complain incessantly about things you can't change. I came in 1982 when it was 42 to the pound. A couple of years later it had dropped to 33. In 1997 it went up 10 baht in a week (oh, how the teachers at my school moaned they were suddenly being paid less!). Later in 1997 it was trading at well over 80. In 2004 it was at 73. Prior to Brexit it was mid 50s now its 38. Accept it and adapt rather than moan. And don't make assumptions about the value of foreign currency - then blame Thailand when things go pear-shaped. If it's 40 next year be thankful. If it's 30 or less.....suck it up.

You must remember how much things cost back then? Didn't you once refer to your salary of 40000 back in the 80's as a tidy sum allowing you to move to upscale Phrom Phong? This same amount would be viewed by most expats as a meagre wage now, and would have a long established pensioner ejected from the country before he could say "extension". And as if your farang-harangue of the downtrodden Brit wasn't harsh enough in October, I should point out that at the time of that column the exchange rate was 43 - it's now 37, close to 15% lower.

I'm just happy. Happy with my Thai wife. Happy with Thai men. Happy in the street. Happy at home. Happy with my kids and their school. Happy on my bike. And ecstatic with the ever improving exchange rate......

You must get how patronising this sounds to those of your fellow countrymen who are being ruined because of the ever declining exchange rate? Of course, if their money's all in baht they'll also be delighted with the ever improving rate, and won't be forcibly separated from their wife, kids and bike when they come to try and renew their extensions. Show some empathy. 

By now regular readers might think that Rooster has had a visit from the TAT this week for a bit of attitude adjustment.

Not so hard to believe, considering you even spoke up in favour of deputy dawg this week. This is surely a historic first - ordinarily you'd be lambasting him for fiddling with his bezels while Bangkok burned it's way to the front of the pack in motorbike fatalities. He and his cronies are hardly new faces, and things have got much worse under his watch, with the transport priorities being submarines, tanks, private planes - pretty much anything but road safety. 

Much maligned DPM Prawit

This description is totally out of character, and has me wondering if you're not winding us up like a dead man's Rolex. You've pretty much led the pack in maligning him in the past, and your scathing comments have never gone unappreciated. Earlier contributions have feted him as the ugliest politician since Chalavit, the wally watchman, and this fine accolade:

"Prawit may be nearing the end of his time - goodness only knows what all that pie must be doing to his arteries - but I hope that he lasts long enough to one day feel the wrath of the young when they come to hold power. Not least of all for "everything common he did and mean, on many memorable scenes".

I'm loath to criticise the column, wry humour is one of the great British gifts to the world and you usually do it a great service, but in places this week it sounds like you're harbouring a mean streak. Hoping for a return to your usual form next week. 

19 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

Don't forget other such unforgivable things that the Thai authorities allow to happen, like --

- Too much rain.

- The weather is much too hot.

- Too many earthquakes without advance warning.

- Too many people who don't learn to speak English.

- Too many Thais who are repulsed by uncouth, unwashed farangs with hairy armpits in bars and restaurants.

Isn't it reasonable to expect that Thais should appreciate that all us farangs decided to visit/live in their country,

and for God's sake, shouldn't the Thais make every effort to make their country more like the UK, the US or Oz?

Thats one of my complaints but its one that can be delt with. As no country should change who they are to appease another. Who the country is is its unique identity. When trying to be another country its being fake and then their is nothing special about it anymore. 

It'll cost me the best part of 8,000 baht to leave Thailand (yes, residents must pay to exit)

?? Are you talking about re-entry permit?? because that's much lower than 8000 baht, and it's good for as many times as you want in a year. In the late 80's to beginning of 90's there was a 1000 baht travel tax for Thai citizens for every time they left Thailand, but that's long gone..

rooster59: Outstanding article. You hit the nail on the head. I rarely read all of your articles, but this one was well timed and echoed my opinion 100%.  I rarely read more than the first 7-10 comments on articles, if any at all, because of the bashing and moaning.  Thank YOU!!!

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

?? Are you talking about re-entry permit?? because that's much lower than 8000 baht, and it's good for as many times as you want in a year. In the late 80's to beginning of 90's there was a 1000 baht travel tax for Thai citizens for every time they left Thailand, but that's long gone..

That's 5,700 baht for multiple reentry permit and endorsement plus about 2500 baht for an Indian visa. 

Rooster

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm loath to criticise the column, wry humour is one of the great British gifts to the world and you usually do it a great service, but in places this week it sounds like you're harbouring a mean streak. Hoping for a return to your usual form next week. 

I stopped reading the column since the Anti-pensioner rant.

Sounds like OP's had a fright from the authorities for no toeing the Prayut party love line.

Glad I didn't read this one.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, Orton Rd said:

' Of course this will fall on deaf ears for some. But please stop bashing Thailand and saying how bad it is. It is not. take a deep breath and be positive. Thailand is better than ever. '

What is better than ever? not the exchange rates, unless you want to go back to 1925, not the road deaths, not the vast wealth inequality, immigration, don't make me laugh. The government maybe and the higher ups, not unless you are a masochist. Education system definitely not, inflation no, interest rates, hardly. Some things need to be 'bashed', the TM30 nonsense for one. Carry on with the rosy spec reports, but I am not convinced. Valid criticism is not hate or bashing is it, neither is trying to improve the lot of ex pats.

+1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has pointed out that Thailand is not quite as negative as many posters who repeatedly complain suggest it is.

If it was not that negative then there wouldn't be MANY posters who repeatedly complain.  Would there?

57 minutes ago, car720 said:
On 8/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has pointed out that Thailand is not quite as negative as many posters who repeatedly complain suggest it is.

If it was not that negative then there wouldn't be MANY posters who repeatedly complain.  Would there?

That was one of the points of the Op... That MANY posters complain for the sake of complaining without any real balance. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was one of the points of the Op... That MANY posters complain for the sake of complaining without any real balance. 

Exactly, if they could blame Thailand for their hemorrhoids, many would. Some have not a single positive thing to say about Thailand and yet they are still here.  Complaining for complaining's sake. 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Oh God you just unleashed all the Thai bar stool bashers. RUN!

Na mate ,  they are mostly your regular TVforum, preachers/ posters. 

Travel 6000 miles to go to bars,   what ever next,  you could not make that one up matey ...555

Archived