BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: The moaner on the bar stool is at home on the internet!

23 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

If i had to take a wild guess about the Thai bashers and whiners. Oddly the same people who are constantly getting themselves into trouble. I would say #1 The Germans #2 The Swedes And tied at third place #3 The Brits & The Aussies .  They just have a knack for getting themselves into trouble.

What is the criteria for your ranking? 

I reckon you got a lot of experience with these three?

Let us take part please 😈

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I'm a bit disappointed I thought somebody might come up with a few examples of how 'Thailand is better than ever' maybe the OP was just being sarcastic? I am going to give up reading his piece, I know how long he has lived here now, he seems to mention it almost every time. 😄

I mention the length of time here more as a means of introducing myself to people who might be reading for the first time. I do not mean to crow - in the course of my life I often lie to strangers by saying I have been here five or ten years. It does not concern me.

I wasn't being sarcastic and you want some examples of how Thailand is better than ever. OK - but if I do that it must be a subjective judgement based on what I see as improvements. I am sure people would disagree. I'll give you ten....

1. The vastly improved air quality in Bangkok compared to the 1990's.

2. Improved transport particularly in mega roadway and train projects (overhead roads, BTS and its expansions, inter city connections, vastly improved buses, domestic flights etc)

3. Vastly improved bureaucracy at government offices from DLT to district offices to immigration. (Again this is based on my own perceptions compared to years ago).

4. An incredible improvement in retail opportunities in terms of the choice in supermarkets, convenience outlets and malls. (None of this was in existence in the 1980's. Getting used to it doesn't mean that things haven't improved).

5. Big improvements to Thai banks and the speed and convenience with which banking and money transactions can be done.

6. Less crime, improved safety and greater longevity. (I truly believe that people do not believe the first two of those because of the prevalence of stories on the internet that convinces them that things have never been worse when the opposite is true).

7. Far greater choice in overnight accommodation especially in terms of roadside resorts that are no longer limited to "curtain motels". 

8. Far greater accountability of politicians and the police thanks to social media. (Only a fool would say it is perfect or even good...but it is better).

9. Far less dogs in the streets and risk of picking up diseases. 

10. A massive improvement in health care provision for both Thais and foreigners and the similar improvement in the production of cheap and excellent drugs by the Government Pharmaceutical Organization. 

As I said, anyone can knock these as much as they wish and probably will. The Week That Was is not an official mouthpiece of Thaivisa and you don't have to agree with me. But I bother to write about some of the issues and I hope Mr Orton that you might consider remaining as a reader no matter what you think of my views. 

I need you and I'll try not to remind you about the tedium of being here a long time....

Rooster

PS 11. The incredible improvement to True's EPL coverage I experienced last night with pre-match analysis, half time chat and end of the game with Glenn Hoddle. It is now in Thai and English to suit most people. I can even watch on my phone in a bar.....Thailand Truly Heaven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

I normally enjoy reading your weekly TW2, and this week was ok until your paragraphs about driving and roads.  It just read like propaganda. Felt like I was being gaslighted by an insanely biased, ultra pro-Thai propagandist.  Driving skills and the extremely poor general attitudes to driving are just as much a part of the problem as is DUI and motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets.  Lack of law enforcement IS at the heart of the problem.  Please stop abusing your position as an editor and please stop trying to deliberately gaslight your readers.  We also have extensive knowledge and experience of Thailand and Thai people.

If you read my column regularly you will know that I am not a propagandist and that I do a great deal to highlight the problems on the road that I agree are an utter disgrace. But my point, this week at least, was that people need to understand that the overwhelming majority of the problem lies in motorcycles, teen riders, helmets and drinking. It is perfectly reasonable that the Thais should concentrate on this first rather then the more nebulous idea of "poor general attitudes to driving". By so doing they have a chance to get a massive reduction in the death toll and its consequent affect on GDP. Step by step...they can help train Thais to be better drivers later when they have sorted out some of the basics that are easier to achieve.

I don't believe that is abusing my position...and I am not an editor.

Rooster

• Like 2

Seems to me like the story of an old man looking back to find that everthing was better in those old days. 

I came to Thailand for holidays in the early 80'. 

I was breathing in the exotic environment, the smile, the strange food, and.... happy people who liked to help. And of course I saw beautiful women and cute little ones. It was a laid back life though struggling to earn their living. I inhaled the different scents of flowers, dishes and velvet skins. 

This was indeed amazing Thailand with all It's temples, monks and festivals.

However internet connected Thailand to the world And created s mish-mash of culture, fashion, music. And the Thai shopping centers are similar to those in Dublin, London, Berlin. It going to become a global society. 

Thailand lost it's charm. 

Old people in the government trying to preserve old styles and expressions of Thai culture. 

However young people are thinking different. They are simply a part of world's youth. No matter where they live. 

Thailand is desperately trying not to carry the red lantern.

We should help them to achieve their goals but not bashing them if they are stuck in their culture circle.

Far less dogs in the streets, well my memory must be playing tricks there and the air quality in CM is among the worst in the world, you said Thailand is better than ever but most of the improvements you quote are just Bangkok. As far as government accountability goes I did not know there was any, they (army) removed the best constitution the country ever had and nobody had a say in it. Shopping malls yes lots more and marginally better health care plus more Hotels rooms is not much in the way of vast improvement. The gloss of western modernity in the malls and banks just covers what is still a viciously unequal, almost feudal society with all wai ing the corrupt people above them. When 1% of Thais stop owing two thirds of the countries wealth I would agree things are getting better, a few more roads and starbucks plus cheap pills is just trivial change not a big improvement.

31 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I mention the length of time here more as a means of introducing myself to people who might be reading for the first time. I do not mean to crow - in the course of my life I often lie to strangers by saying I have been here five or ten years. It does not concern me.

I wasn't being sarcastic and you want some examples of how Thailand is better than ever. OK - but if I do that it must be a subjective judgement based on what I see as improvements. I am sure people would disagree. I'll give you ten....

1. The vastly improved air quality in Bangkok compared to the 1990's.

2. Improved transport particularly in mega roadway and train projects (overhead roads, BTS and its expansions, inter city connections, vastly improved buses, domestic flights etc)

3. Vastly improved bureaucracy at government offices from DLT to district offices to immigration. (Again this is based on my own perceptions compared to years ago).

4. An incredible improvement in retail opportunities in terms of the choice in supermarkets, convenience outlets and malls. (None of this was in existence in the 1980's. Getting used to it doesn't mean that things haven't improved).

5. Big improvements to Thai banks and the speed and convenience with which banking and money transactions can be done.

6. Less crime, improved safety and greater longevity. (I truly believe that people do not believe the first two of those because of the prevalence of stories on the internet that convinces them that things have never been worse when the opposite is true).

7. Far greater choice in overnight accommodation especially in terms of roadside resorts that are no longer limited to "curtain motels". 

8. Far greater accountability of politicians and the police thanks to social media. (Only a fool would say it is perfect or even good...but it is better).

9. Far less dogs in the streets and risk of picking up diseases. 

10. A massive improvement in health care provision for both Thais and foreigners and the similar improvement in the production of cheap and excellent drugs by the Government Pharmaceutical Organization. 

As I said, anyone can knock these as much as they wish and probably will. The Week That Was is not an official mouthpiece of Thaivisa and you don't have to agree with me. But I bother to write about some of the issues and I hope Mr Orton that you might consider remaining as a reader no matter what you think of my views. 

I need you and I'll try not to remind you about the tedium of being here a long time....

Rooster

PS 11. The incredible improvement to True's EPL coverage I experienced last night with pre-match analysis, half time chat and end of the game with Glenn Hoddle. It is now in Thai and English to suit most people. I can even watch on my phone in a bar.....Thailand Truly Heaven. 

Yes these are all great improvements and the reasons we stay here. It is actually a very liveable place after all. 

But why stop there, why act like there's not more we can do better? 

If you ask a thai person he will tell you sinilar things he dislikes here, it's how it is. It's not only expats complaining, so let's not act like that's the case. 

Humans should always thrive for the better, stagnation is regression. 

Sometimes it takes complaining and ass kicks to move forward.

If no one would have complained, if no one would have broken the rules and without civil disobedience my home country would still be split into east and west germany.

The rest of the world doesn't stand still, and may move faster forward than thailand. 

I was gonna reply but when I read the 3000 word essay I had just finished I thought better of it. 😎

• Haha 1

This might have been better in stickmans bangkok but on here it almost seems like someone is a bit nervouse about the richard burrow saga. Though if you are a citizen less so a point however seems like some seriouse kiss kiss to me . But youre mostly right i think. So i will just say i think beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

I would rather be someplace else myself but at same time things could be much worse. Like the rest of south east asia. With the exception of 1 other place i enjoy.

Instead of Thai bashing can we have another thread to channel our energies in bashing, say, Bangladesh?   Or Eskimoes?  Don't get me started on those bloody Eskimoes again

• Haha 1

A brilliant article. Hits the nail right on the head. Calls out the Brexit moaners who want to stop immigration in the Uk and want to be free to travel the world themselves. I travel to Thailand each year with my wife and 2 kids because we love Thailand and it’s people and while everything is not perfect ( stay in the west if you want perceived perfection) it is a piece of paradise that allows us to have an excellent vacation that does not break the bank. Food and drink is still very cheap outside of Bangkok compared to western countries as are Taxi’s. There is loads for the kids to do everyday, boredom is not an issue and of course the weather is great 24/7. But then again we are not bar stool Thai bashers. We go because we love Thailand and it’s people and it’s affordable. Keep up the good work Thailand and keep improving for everyone not just moaning Xpats. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes these are all great improvements and the reasons we stay here. It is actually a very liveable place after all. 

But why stop there, why act like there's not more we can do better? 

If you ask a thai person he will tell you sinilar things he dislikes here, it's how it is. It's not only expats complaining, so let's not act like that's the case. 

Humans should always thrive for the better, stagnation is regression. 

Sometimes it takes complaining and ass kicks to move forward.

If no one would have complained, if no one would have broken the rules and without civil disobedience my home country would still be split into east and west germany.

The rest of the world doesn't stand still, and may move faster forward than thailand. 

Are you actually comparing Thailand to the brutal regime of East Germany. Come on man get real 

Well done Rooster, you've managed to stitch together an essay dismissing all the comments on key issues pertaining to LOS and it's decline into a xenophobic police state. Back in colonial days of the British empire we would have said of you " he's gone native".  But of what I may as ask ? You have got residency of a country that will never allow you a vote or the right to buy property and will allways regard you as a foreigner to the day you die and respect you as much as the thickness of your wallet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1