BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: The moaner on the bar stool is at home on the internet!

19 hours ago, BradinAsia said:

Don't forget other such unforgivable things that the Thai authorities allow to happen, like --

- Too much rain.

- The weather is much too hot.

- Too many earthquakes without advance warning.

- Too many people who don't learn to speak English.

- Too many Thais who are repulsed by uncouth, unwashed farangs with hairy armpits in bars and restaurants.

Isn't it reasonable to expect that Thais should appreciate that all us farangs decided to visit/live in their country,

and for God's sake, shouldn't the Thais make every effort to make their country more like the UK, the US or Oz?

Thats one of my complaints but its one that can be delt with. As no country should change who they are to appease another. Who the country is is its unique identity. When trying to be another country its being fake and then their is nothing special about it anymore. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Brilliant post lamyai3 thanks for taking the time to write it.

I second that comment, a very well put together reply, Thank you.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, rooster59 said:

It'll cost me the best part of 8,000 baht to leave Thailand (yes, residents must pay to exit)

?? Are you talking about re-entry permit?? because that's much lower than 8000 baht, and it's good for as many times as you want in a year. In the late 80's to beginning of 90's there was a 1000 baht travel tax for Thai citizens for every time they left Thailand, but that's long gone..

rooster59: Outstanding article. You hit the nail on the head. I rarely read all of your articles, but this one was well timed and echoed my opinion 100%.  I rarely read more than the first 7-10 comments on articles, if any at all, because of the bashing and moaning.  Thank YOU!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

?? Are you talking about re-entry permit?? because that's much lower than 8000 baht, and it's good for as many times as you want in a year. In the late 80's to beginning of 90's there was a 1000 baht travel tax for Thai citizens for every time they left Thailand, but that's long gone..

That's 5,700 baht for multiple reentry permit and endorsement plus about 2500 baht for an Indian visa. 

Rooster

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm loath to criticise the column, wry humour is one of the great British gifts to the world and you usually do it a great service, but in places this week it sounds like you're harbouring a mean streak. Hoping for a return to your usual form next week. 

I stopped reading the column since the Anti-pensioner rant.

Sounds like OP's had a fright from the authorities for no toeing the Prayut party love line.

Glad I didn't read this one.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, Orton Rd said:

' Of course this will fall on deaf ears for some. But please stop bashing Thailand and saying how bad it is. It is not. take a deep breath and be positive. Thailand is better than ever. '

What is better than ever? not the exchange rates, unless you want to go back to 1925, not the road deaths, not the vast wealth inequality, immigration, don't make me laugh. The government maybe and the higher ups, not unless you are a masochist. Education system definitely not, inflation no, interest rates, hardly. Some things need to be 'bashed', the TM30 nonsense for one. Carry on with the rosy spec reports, but I am not convinced. Valid criticism is not hate or bashing is it, neither is trying to improve the lot of ex pats.

+1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has pointed out that Thailand is not quite as negative as many posters who repeatedly complain suggest it is.

If it was not that negative then there wouldn't be MANY posters who repeatedly complain.  Would there?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, car720 said:
On 8/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has pointed out that Thailand is not quite as negative as many posters who repeatedly complain suggest it is.

If it was not that negative then there wouldn't be MANY posters who repeatedly complain.  Would there?

That was one of the points of the Op... That MANY posters complain for the sake of complaining without any real balance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was one of the points of the Op... That MANY posters complain for the sake of complaining without any real balance. 

Exactly, if they could blame Thailand for their hemorrhoids, many would. Some have not a single positive thing to say about Thailand and yet they are still here.  Complaining for complaining's sake. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Oh God you just unleashed all the Thai bar stool bashers. RUN!

Na mate ,  they are mostly your regular TVforum, preachers/ posters. 

Travel 6000 miles to go to bars,   what ever next,  you could not make that one up matey ...555

Edited by elliss