BANGKOK 19 August 2019 08:55
Trujillo

Mandatory drug purchase at hospital

I go regularly to a hospital once a month for an FBS, PT and INR test and I NEVER buy drugs from the hospital.

I explained to my doctor that as I am paying the bill, I am NOT a patient but a customer for his services. I will listen to his advice and perhaps take it or not, go home and look up on Google the meds he prescribes and buy them from a pharmacy else where for much less than the hospital charges.

I remind him that I can walk away and go to a different hospital if I am not happy.

• Thanks 1

Recently, after 4 days of hospital and numerous examinations, I have been diagnosed with lung embolism. I was prescribed Pradaxa and bought the first month of supplies, after discharge from the hospital, via the hospital's pharmacy. 7300 thb. Pradaxa is a fairly new means of blood thinners. In the following week we immediately visited a larger drug store and within 2 weeks arranged the papers (license) for the next stock, also one month (60 tablets à 150 mg). 4300 thb. And without further asking for a doctor's prescription. 

• Like 1

You have to learn how to play the hospital game. 

Go to the payment area and asked to see the bill along with a list of medicine. Take a photo of the medication with your phone. Take a couple to be safe in case you get a blurry photo.

Hand it back and say you don’t want the medication. If they say anything to  try to sell you, tell them you’re about to walk out and not pay anything if they don’t stop talking and to please deduct the medication from the bill.

Pay updated bill and leave.

Hospital pharmacies are big time scams here. I’ve NEVER not been able to find what I need in a pharmacy here for a fraction of the cost.

* Don’t be afraid to sit down and research the meds before you pay. You are free to walk away from the counter and sit down to do this. Don’t let them pressure you into ANYTHING. If you do, it’s your own fault.

16 hours ago, dcnx said:

You have to learn how to play the hospital game. 

Go to the payment area and asked to see the bill along with a list of medicine. Take a photo of the medication with your phone. Take a couple to be safe in case you get a blurry photo.

Hand it back and say you don’t want the medication. If they say anything to  try to sell you, tell them you’re about to walk out and not pay anything if they don’t stop talking and to please deduct the medication from the bill.

Pay updated bill and leave.

Hospital pharmacies are big time scams here. I’ve NEVER not been able to find what I need in a pharmacy here for a fraction of the cost.

* Don’t be afraid to sit down and research the meds before you pay. You are free to walk away from the counter and sit down to do this. Don’t let them pressure you into ANYTHING. If you do, it’s your own fault.

That is not true. Some meds (such as pre-surgery antibiotics) are not stocked in retail pharmacies. Yes, they are expensive - like 400-600 per tablet/capsule but you are usually only dispensed up to 5 of them.

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

That is not true. Some meds (such as pre-surgery antibiotics) are not stocked in retail pharmacies. Yes, they are expensive - like 400-600 per tablet/capsule but you are usually only dispensed up to 5 of them.

Going into surgery is a different situation, as is taking their medication while you’re recovering after surgery. 

I’m talking about standard visits where you have an option.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The bill does not list the particular medicines you are being prescribed. 

Depends on the hospital.  Went to Bangkok Hospital today for an outpatient appointment.  Prescribed a med not normally available in a retail pharmacy, so I bought it at the hospital.  It was listed on Bangkok Hospital's itemized receipt.  The bit about photographing the receipt and then asking for a redo would have worked (if I wanted to go med shopping in the rain via Grab)

Profit is more important than Hippocratic Oath nowadays.

Edited by EricTh

On 8/11/2019 at 7:04 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. That is Thailand. You're lucky if the Dr explains anything.

Re buying the drugs at the hospital; given the cost of seeing a Dr is so cheap, they probably need the pharmacy profits to subsidise the hospital, which I wouldn't gripe about. The cost of seeing a Dr in New Zealand is a rip off, IMO. Over $40 and get so little time that one doesn't even get half way through the problems and told to come back again ( and pay again ).

BTW, $40 is quite low; some places charge over $60. So much for the welfare state in NZ!

I’ve never seen a doctor here who wanted to prescribe me medication without telling me what it was (in 16 years), so your “That is Thailand” comment is wide of the mark in my experience. I certainly wouldn’t pay for anything before I knew what it was either. I go to hospitals for medical advice and opinions, not to be told what to do.

• Like 2

This particular hospital (and we all know which one) charged me 89 baht for an asprin. I was lucky (stupid) enough to buy 2 !!!