"Pot on the head gang" get their free helmets and say sorry!

rooster59

"Pot on the head gang" get their free helmets and say sorry!

pot.JPG

Image: Daily News

The three M3 students who got Thailand laughing yesterday after appearing to wear a cooking pot instead of a helmet have taken the police up on their free offer. 

The boys were at Nakorn Nayok police station yesterday when they each got a free helmet as promised by Thanit Bussabong who stopped them on Thursday. 

The boys admitted they were in the wrong and said they had the cooking pot with them because they were doing an activity at school and wanted to boil up eggs for their mates. 

Netizens loved the story as police played along. 

The cops in the town north east of Bangkok are running a campaign to make 100% of motorcyclists wear helmets. 

M3 means the boys would have been aged about 15 or 16 years old. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-10

Falang, no no no this is no good licence!

But I have licence for a car, motorbike, even a truck from my country where in a year less people dies than in a week here

Mai, mai... nut enugh you mut have international or Thailaaand licence! 500 baht, khap

So, Mataom 3, that's 14 years old isn't it???

Too young for a motorsike licence, so driving illegally on the road with no insurance!

It's all fun and games isn't it, until the meat wagon brings one of these young men in with his brains outside his skull with his body  mashed to pieces by a large truck travelling at speed. His 2 friends in the other ambulance with multiple fractures and their limps pointing in the opposite direction. One kid has his leg amputated just below the knee as the leg can't be saved.

But hey, it's all sanook isn't it! ????

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

said they had the cooking pot with them because they were doing an activity at school and wanted to boil up eggs for their mates

Next time on reducing the road death figures .. Boy wears egg cooker in attempt to impress mates , cops and win a free piss pot helmet .. 

IMG_20190810_081134.jpg

Helmets? plural? I can see only one. Not surprising, as cops tend to (sometimes) enforce mandatory helmet only for the driver, following a logic that escapes me. Explains why so many motorbike accident fatalities are young kids. Even if dad (or mom) does, they almost never wear a helmet.

EDIT: I think "gang" was to be taken as "team", "group of buddies", not literally.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sadly today the "lads" were all killed as a bus carrying 30 school children rolled over on them and exploded into a huge fire ball. 

i'm going to hell for that laugh.....congratulations.

this is so wrong in every way

3 on a bike

unlicenced

no helmets

thais are amused by this bad behaviour.

this is why so many lovely Thais die every day needlessly.

they just dont understand.

the cops are laughing, sadder when the police have a chuckle.

4 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Nice gesture by the police, but I'd like to see them get proactive about enforcing helmet standards. I'm sure good quality helmets can be made quite cheaply here.

Your "hoping" for a lot after all the years they have been "compulsory"!

The helmet laws have been a "joke" since they were introduced in Bangkok in around 1995, if I recall correctly, the first year the law was bought in it was discovered that no helmets were made in Thailand, so the "law" was delayed for a year while a government minister volunteered to build a factory!

A year later the law came into effect, Bangkok only & only on the main roads! only the driver needed to wear a helmet.

On these sound fundamentals some 25 years later over half the population in the number one country for motorcycle deaths in the World still don't wear a helmet and the Police still do little to enforce the "law" unless there is money in it for them!

Helmets are much tougher you head, even the thai Tupperware type are better than nothing. I wear them and would feel worried and at risk if I drove without one.  However - IMO I am more for the right of the individual to choose whether wear or not wear them, "with the exception of children". Govt should suggest, educate, and promote, but to infringe on and take money if you don't wear is overbearing. In the case of this story about the pothead kids, it makes a joke of the police. Let Darwin selection weed out the stupid if you want to take that view, "with the exception of children". Suppose govt was to say you must wear a heavy protective jacket to ride? Suppose you were told goggles were required or a 1000b fine?

Govt could produce and require viewing of very graphic gut grabbing videos as part of the licensing process or even as a required driver training for license renewal. Every 5 yrs for renewal and you had to spend an hour viewing brains dripping out of split skulls and the like - and some famous people saying you should wear helmets - might motivate some to wear voluntarily.

43 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Govt could produce and require viewing of very graphic gut grabbing videos as part of the licensing process or even as a required driver training for license renewal. 

Useless in Thailand IMHO. They just don't "register" this information. I remember being at the funeral of a vaguely related youngster who had died in a motorcycle accident. Teens present at the funeral were watching gruesome pictures taken at the accident site on their phones, almost laughing at them. And the same day I saw one of them speeding and wheeling on a bike.

Somehow they firmly believe that such can happen only to others. Not sure western teens are that different anyway.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Your "hoping" for a lot after all the years they have been "compulsory"!

The helmet laws have been a "joke" since they were introduced in Bangkok in around 1995, if I recall correctly, the first year the law was bought in it was discovered that no helmets were made in Thailand, so the "law" was delayed for a year while a government minister volunteered to build a factory!

A year later the law came into effect, Bangkok only & only on the main roads! only the driver needed to wear a helmet.

On these sound fundamentals some 25 years later over half the population in the number one country for motorcycle deaths in the World still don't wear a helmet and the Police still do little to enforce the "law" unless there is money in it for them!

Nice backgrounder - thank you. I was here at the time, but not aware of some of this information. Sure I'm being hopeful, but in the absence of any action, hope is about all we've got. A long while back the cops were successful in eliminating noisy motorbikes (though they seem to be making a comeback), so they can do right when they want to.

13 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

A long while back the cops were successful in eliminating noisy motorbikes (though they seem to be making a comeback), so they can do right when they want t

I remember that, also in the nineties, it was part of the clean air for Bangkok, which turned out to be successful, yet last year when the air quality in Bangkok was atrocious they all seemed to have completely forgotten about the success of the previous "campaign"!

Unfortunately the noisy motorbike brigade has long been back, difference now is they are four strokes not two strokes ???? 

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

sadly today the "lads" were all killed as a bus carrying 30 school children rolled over on them and exploded into a huge fire ball. 

I would like to know if this is true about the bus or is it a very, very, very sick joke by NCC.

If true, I am sad to no end. If FAKE news, NCC (who's posts I normally enjoy) should be banned for life. I anxiously await to know the truth.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

I would like to know if this is true about the bus or is it a very, very, very sick joke by NCC.

If true, I am sad to no end. If FAKE news, NCC (who's posts I normally enjoy) should be banned for life. I anxiously await to know the truth.

i think it is only one very, not three.  

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

there was no accident. it was a joke. i am sorry if i offended you.

it was a dark joke about the madness of Thailand's highways.

Thank you for the clarity. It did not offend me but did create substantial anxiety as these look like potentially good boys with a sense of humour. Even the cop saw the humour in it. I am aware that the original incident brought a great deal of joy to the Thai people (and a smile for me) on social media.

There untimely death would have been too sad.

NCC, you need to be displayed at the train station and receive a good caning.

Your bike(s) should be confiscated for 90 days.

Your GFs should all desert you.

House arrest too !

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry to say my five girlfriends did desert me. i was on a roll there for about 9 months but now its just me and my cats. 

things in thailand can be fleeting and keeping a rotation here is not easy. at least you can say you have lots of pussy:)

Archived