Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't know what kind of extension he is on.

For an extension based on marriage, it always takes one month to be approved, and a bit longer is no exception. A bit early IMO to jump to conclusions.

After all this time you haven't really grasped how Thaigeezer works have you? ????

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Talking about it, and posting words, doesnt fix anything.

Sure it does,as in Richards case it is having an effect.Talking and posting may lead to further action that may or may not achieve results.If continued and enough people talk and post the right people might start to talk and post and start to apply the necessary pressure that is required to achieve the desired outcome.

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

Richard put his head on the table when represent calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

Don't know how many years he's been doing this, but he said:

But this is what I have to go through every year,” he added.

So his problems  can't be TM30 related.

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sure it does,as in Richards case it is having an effect.Talking and posting may lead to further action that may or may not achieve results.If continued and enough people talk and post the right people might start to talk and post and start to apply the necessary pressure that is required to achieve the desired outcome.

You and me is not Richard, and from what I have seen (followed Richard for two years now), I have only seen reposts of official news in Thailand, nothing groundbraking exposed stuff that is not official alrady trough the national media. 

Im refering to what I have seen, not what he might have done Im unware of. 

What I am saying in this tread, is that we all knew when arriving Thailand, (or should have known) This is a military dictatorship country, and we have limited rights living here. So, it shouldnt be necessery to say so much more about that matter, since we are not here to change the country. 

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

We will se what happens next, or it is just pure rutine for him having to wait for final decission. 

I admire Richard Barrow for having a go. Immigration will only lose face if they refuse his visa. Unfortunately, in Asia, the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

The TM30 and 90 day report are insulting to foreigners. How can you give someone a visa and then expect him to report like a criminal to his parole officer?

The petition was not a complaint but a polite request. There is an opportunity for Immigration to do the right thing here.

Just because Imegrants can shout their traps of in Ferangland i say good on yer Thailand for getting uperty with financial refugees, begpackers and the Go Fund Me lot. Try working a lifetime , having money and retiring . No problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Jonathan head , Andy Hall , Andrew Drummond , Andrew Mcgregor Marshall , probably a few more I'm not aware of.................Richard barrow

What do they all have in common?

There all called "Andrew" well apart from one but see no need to be pedantic?

14 minutes ago, Tagged said:

What I am saying in this tread, is that we all knew when arriving Thailand, (or should have known) This is a military dictatorship country, and we have limited rights living here. So, it shouldnt be necessery to say so much more about that matter, since we are not here to change the country.

I agree that we have and I would add most Thais have limited rights living here,and it shouldn't require us to say much about the matter,and I didn't come here to change the country only came here to live with my wife as my country won't allow us to do so there.However now that I'm here and am seeing myself becoming a part of the country and becoming more aware of the problems I find myself taking more of an interest in the problems and the solution to those problems.Also there are many around the world with observing Thailand and how it is dealing with these problems which is I believe is where the real pressure will come from to help Thailand make the more desirous decisions to solve it's problems in achieving positive outcomes.

The PM has expressed his desire for Thailand to become a democracy,I would say that there were enormous amounts of pressure applied to get him to express such radical desires and those pressures where the result of much talking and posting.Talking and posting are very important elements of a democracy and it is how things are changed.

23 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Jonathan head , Andy Hall , Andrew Drummond , Andrew Mcgregor Marshall , probably a few more I'm not aware of.................Richard barrow

What do they all have in common?

They have balls and aren't cowards? 

9 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Just because Imegrants can shout their traps of in Ferangland i say good on yer Thailand for getting uperty with financial refugees, begpackers and the Go Fund Me lot. Try working a lifetime , having money and retiring . No problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Aha... 

What does the tm30 <deleted> have to do with what you said? ???? 

All of the mentioned people are working here, the other groups affected are investment visa, thai elite and retirees/marriage visa people... So all people you claim to have no Problem. 

Fascinating how all these new thai apologists come out of the woods in broken English. 

34 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

He might be one of those troublesome foreigners trying to make suggestions on how to improve Thailand as requested by the PM.

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I agree that we have and I would add most Thais have limited rights living here,and it shouldn't require us to say much about the matter,and I didn't come here to change the country only came here to live with my wife as my country won't allow us to do so there.However now that I'm here and am seeing myself becoming a part of the country and becoming more aware of the problems I find myself taking more of an interest in the problems and the solution to those problems.Also there are many around the world with observing Thailand and how it is dealing with these problems which is I believe is where the real pressure will come from to help Thailand make the more desirous decisions to solve it's problems in achieving positive outcomes.

The PM has expressed his desire for Thailand to become a democracy,I would say that there were enormous amounts of pressure applied to get him to express such radical desires and those pressures where the result of much talking and posting.Talking and posting are very important elements of a democracy and it is how things are changed.

You are absolutely right, but action takes personal interest, if it is not personal, or a religion which is something higher than yourselves, nothing is really done by avarage Joe, Bill Franz or  Oskar. And as long Thailand is behaving and taking care of business towards their allies, no foreign pressure is going to happen. I can mention to many countries that prove my statement about that matter. Thailand do not even come close to be a country put on an alert list with economic sanctions. Thailand is an strategic allie in Asia for the west as well,,,,,

2 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"has recently been a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished."

Cue scene from the movie "Gandhi" 

I believe what he was fighting for was a bit more important than the TM30

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If we can't sign a simple petition without beeing threatend then we are in the wrong country. 

Time to admit that and relocate even if it's a major annoyance, let's see how this works out... 

You have just noticed that you do not live in a democracy but in a military dictatorship.

32 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They have balls and aren't cowards? 

Aha... 

What does the tm30 <deleted> have to do with what you said? ???? 

All of the mentioned people are working here, the other groups affected are investment visa, thai elite and retirees/marriage visa people... So all people you claim to have no Problem. 

Fascinating how all these new thai apologists come out of the woods in broken English. 

There we go with the old Thai apologist moniker. Retoric like this is why I will not sign no matter how important, there is always a few who try to intimadate those who have a different mind set or see things different.

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You are absolutely right, but action takes personal interest, if it is not personal, or a religion which is something higher than yourselves, nothing is really done by avarage Joe, Bill Franz or  Oskar. And as long Thailand is behaving and taking care of business towards their allies, no foreign pressure is going to happen. I can mention to many countries that prove my statement about that matter. Thailand do not even come close to be a country put on an alert list with economic sanctions. Thailand is an strategic allie in Asia for the west as well,,,,,

Of course you are also right "caring" is something one does not what one thinks,thinking you "care" is not the same as performing "care".

I think a big issue is that Thailand may feel it is being "told" how to behave and as you are probably already aware Thais are quite defiant when they perceive they are being told what to do so one must tread warily and skilfully when trying to help.

I also don't think Thailand is any worse than Australia when it comes to human rights abuses nor do I think it any better but if there are any pressures that will help alleviate these problems then these pressures should be applied and I'm not talking about economic sanctions.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

I use the same immigration office as Richard (Samutprakarn) for my Non-B extension and at visa time I will get a one month extension while waiting for Bangkok Immigrations approval for the full extension.

After one month I then have to report back to Samutprakarn immigration, who then give me the remaining 11 months.

The article states ‘Richard returned to Samut Prakan immigration where he expected to collect his newly approved extension’, so I presume that he had already started the application and was returning for the 11 month stamp.

It would appear that Richard has upset someone up high, I have never had any problems getting my extension and I have never had an immigration visit yet.

Yes, that's what I said as well. And sometimes the application is not finished within the 1 month, many, many examples of that on the visa forum. Also house calls are no exception.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, that's what I said as well. And sometimes the application is not finished within the 1 month, many, many examples of that on the visa forum. Also house calls are no exception.

While there may be cases where the application is not approved within the month but I have never heard of this being the case at Samutprakarn Immigration.

As for the visit, this was not a house call, Richard stated they were waiting at his workplace.

While I can agree that there may have been an honest problem with Richard's extension this year, the timing for this coincides suspiciously with the petition and meeting about the TM30.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

and there you have it......and you guys want to put your names on petitions ?.... this aint Kansas.

I thought having to go back to the IO I’m 7 days was the norm I have had to do that for the last few years for my extension of stay so,I always do my application 10 days before it expires just in case got to say on the initial visit the girls on the front desk go through it with a fine tooth comb take my money keep my passport and I collect it 7 days later.

Archived