Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

It looks to me, that we farangs are a real thorn in the eyes of the Thai immigration.

I cant quite comprehend that we should be such an alien people to them.

Foreigners in Germany or Australia to me always had something mysterious or intriguing about them but I never felt that they deserved to be given a hard time, just because they choose to live with us.

I actually looked forward to be a foreigner in an asian country myself, when i left Australia.

I hit it spot on, when I came here, I love the Thai people.

However, somehow there is something peculiar going on with immigration.

Feels like post war east German government suppression.

I am due for my October retirement renewal. My family and me are very nervous, if I have or have not what they want.

I think I have, the 800 anyway, but the monthly income of 65 i have not.

Now do they want either, or, or both?

However, I read all the stories of Thai visa dot com, and I wonder am I not good enough to die in this country.

But i tell you one thing, if they give me a hard time, they can shove me on the plane back to Aussie, I wont have a bed to sleep in, because my bed is here, but at least I get a free hearing aid

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is obvious over the last few years just how much this government and even above that don't want anything to do with foreign influence. Tourists that come, spend and leave is literally all they want. 

In my opinion they want to try and build an ultra-nationalistic mentality which is very much ran as a dictatorship. Foreigners have a negative affect on that as we have generally been brought up to question things, have an opinion and actually use the word 'why'. These things are all very different to most of the population who live a life of - know your place and keep quiet. 

For all the good Barrow does in publicising Thailand, he has most likely been making too many negative views recently that they need to try and suppress, just like they do with the Thai activists or foreign media.

A UN right of having an opinion or expressing your own view certainly isn't allowed in Thailand which is tragic. 

4 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

So even people who work for TAT and do not have any real opinion can have problems ? 555+

under the radar and having never declared my address anywhere I still do not have any problem ❤️

Enjoy your "official" life guys... 555+

It's so funny that only people who want to do the correct things have problems !

And what will ever happen to me if I had to meet any rat official ? I would just pay 2000 thb and then still be under the radar for the next years !

Funny that people are making their own problems and then complain...

Are you that guy sleeping under the stairs at Nana bts? 

11 hours ago, Filipplenoir said:

That's why I didn't sign. Pointless

I signed and also wrote my explanation: that I like to make weekend trips with my wife to Nan, Chiang Rai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, etc. With the new law (ok, it´s not new) we´ll think twice if we are in the mood to drive at the next day after we came back 30 minutes to the immigration office in Chiang Mai, wait a long time (I have heard, the queue is very long and you have to come at 8 am) and drive 30 minutes back. If we decide that´s not worth to have all the action, it´s bad luck for the hotels and restaurants in the cities we wanted to go - less money for them.

My hope is that many people write something like this, the lawmakers didn´t thought at this aspect and start thinking again. It´s not criticising the law, the government or whoever, it´s only to show that´s perhaps not the best idea to make this law, or to enforce it strictly. If they decide to enforce it, I can live with it.

This TM30 petition is a total waste of time. It is Thailand, their country, their rules. Simple as.

As an aside, can you imagine 'foreign immigrants' in your home country trying to change 'your home countries' immigration laws?'???? Nah, didn't think so.

I'm sure Richard follows the farang in Thailand mantra..."never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to walk away from. He's a big boy...if he gets thrown out, he moves on to some where else. Thailand is only a paradise to the natives who don't know better. Anyone who is not from a 3rd world country knows better.

2 hours ago, South said:

As an aside, can you imagine 'foreign immigrants' in your home country trying to change 'your home countries' immigration laws?'???? Nah, didn't think so.

Those are new citizens not extended tourists. 

18 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

All the people who were saying "don't worry, just sign the petition' ! 

As many said, best to keep a low profile.

Spot on, Thaiwrath! Always let others do the work, reap any benefits without doing diddly-squat, and IF - just IF - something good comes out of whatever it is, you can then throw your wholehearted support behind it. Nice.

The petition is

• very poorly executed
  • unprofessional and sloppy
  • did not even state the case of foreigners well -- e.g. by leaving out entire classes of foreigners affected
  • reflects badly on the Farang population in Thailand
  • displays dangerous naivete of how Thais (or even Asians more broadly) and especially those in authority would react to a loss of Face
  • provides no solutions or ways for the Thais to save Face - which, while a dumb and childish characteristic, cannot be ignored

Imagine if a bunch of Asian immigrants in a Western country had done the same. Would anyone expect resulting positive action? I would not.

Even with all the above, I STILL thank fellow Farang who have made an effort. But, I now only expect things to get worse.

10 hours ago, wisperone said:

Nobody has a inalienable right to live in Thailand. Farangs are nothing but guests who may or may not be granted a extension of stay. Live with it or move on.

What about the falang who have Thai citizenship?Doesn't that blow the first part of your statement out of the water?

20 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The petition is

Can i add to what you have just said:

-addressed to a military government regarded by some as a dictatorship.

-no legal basis since the names are on some servers in Eastern Europe and will never be disclosed.

The first one is the most relevant though.

They already bullied him with the one extra week under consideration, meeting is on the 15th, right after the meeting is the result of his extension.

It would be a wise thing for Richard to disassociate himself from a petition that asks for the abolition of the TM30, and discuss about other general things, unrelated to criticizing laws, i.e. suggesting that the people that created / enforced those laws are idiots.

That's if he decides to participate.

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Nobody gives a crap about their 'loss of face', what a joke that something like this is even considered.

Yeah, I understand. It's idiotic. But, it's the way things are.

One cannot reliably get things done in Asia without consideration of Giving/Saving Face. 

The only time that aggression works better is when one is in a position of power -- which Farang pensioners and workers in Thailand ARE MOST DECIDEDLY NOT.

For anyone who thinks different, I encourage them to just blast the government as much as possible -- putting their names to the their criticisms. Let us know how it goes.

18 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"has recently been a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished."

Cue scene from the movie "Gandhi" 

Gandhi was not campaigning for equal rights for all. He was only interested in equal status for Indians!

32 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The petition is

• very poorly executed
  • unprofessional and sloppy
  • did not even state the case of foreigners well -- e.g. by leaving out entire classes of foreigners affected
  • reflects badly on the Farang population in Thailand
  • displays dangerous naivete of how Thais (or even Asians more broadly) and especially those in authority would react to a loss of Face
  • provides no solutions or ways for the Thais to save Face - which, while a dumb and childish characteristic, cannot be ignored

Imagine if a bunch of Asian immigrants in a Western country had done the same. Would anyone expect resulting positive action? I would not.

Even with all the above, I STILL thank fellow Farang who have made an effort. But, I now only expect things to get worse.

What efforts have you made to join this group and lend your opinionated expertise?

Or any other group trying to improve conditions?

Or doing something solo?

No efforts? None at all? Gee, I'm so surprised!

31 minutes ago, lkv said:

Can i add to what you have just said:

-addressed to a military government regarded by some as a dictatorship.

-no legal basis since the names are on some servers in Eastern Europe and will never be disclosed.

The first one is the most relevant though.

They already bullied him with the one extra week under consideration, meeting is on the 15th, right after the meeting is the result of his extension.

It would be a wise thing for Richard to disassociate himself from a petition that asks for the abolition of the TM30, and discuss about other general things, unrelated to criticizing laws, i.e. suggesting that the people that created / enforced those laws are idiots.

That's if he decides to participate.

Agree with you.

I forgot to also add that 

"group of Issan-based expats"

is about the very worst way the petition could be labeled.

The Sino-Thais in authority here hate almost nothing more than what they see as a stereotypical Farang in a singlet married to a dark skinned Thai former prostitute half his age, eking out a minimal living up on some dusty Issan farm.

If the petition had be described as 

"group of expats working through various Chambers of Commerce, foreign professional agencies, Embassies and large corporates"

it would have better received.

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yeah, I understand. It's idiotic. But, it's the way things are.

One cannot reliably get things done in Asia without consideration of Giving/Saving Face. 

The only time that aggression works better is when one is in a position of power -- which Farang pensioners and workers in Thailand ARE MOST DECIDEDLY NOT.

For anyone who thinks different, I encourage them to just blast the government as much as possible -- putting their names to the their criticisms. Let us know how it goes.

I tend to agree .

Best effort would been deal with tm30 best you can and let it burn itself out via internal hassles as one thing they hate is being told what to do by those seen below them .

Things probably going get much worse over next few years as those at top have slowly implemented huge changes over past 4yrs and the final concept has not yet been reached .

here is another example of thailand shooting itself in the foot, now expats will think twice before going on a trip in thailand spending money in another province further stopping tourism and hotel owners miss out as well as all the other vendors.

i live over an hour away from my IO and i am not going there to file a TM30 so fine me and if you do i will seriously be thinking of moving to another country.

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

What efforts have you made to join this group and lend your opinionated expertise?

Or doing something solo?

Don't be surprised.

I am smart enough to know how Thailand works.

And though I have a very poor view of Thailand, what I do for Farang here is to be respectable, have plenty of money, not marry hookers, employ Thais in jobs that earn anywhere from 60,000 to 250,000 THB per month, try to warn Farang of what I think are the 'real' national characteristics of the local population.

I try to do my part.

Don't you think it is big oud who is trying to flex his emaciated muscles to show all and sundry how powerful he is , when in fact he is the Joke and an idiot so bring back general Big Joke who will now have to change his nick name as Big Oud is the biggest joke of all.

17 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Or doing something solo?

Go take a pill Fex and stop critising people who do something to try to improve your lot, immigrants in my home country are very well looked after and if they have an issue they can talk to immigration officials easily and resolve them either way, absolutely nothing like here.

I am sure most people would comply if all the reporting could be done online except for the annual extension. So big Joke Oud if you want to do something then try that, we were supposed to have had 90 day reporting on line for the past 6 or 7 years and i have only managed to get through twice in 6 years so get off your arse and do something.

21 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

...what I do for Farang here is to be respectable, have plenty of money, not marry hookers, employ Thais in jobs that earn anywhere from 60,000 to 250,000 THB per month, try to warn Farang of what I think are the 'real' national characteristics of the local population.

I try to do my part.

Raging narcissism.

18 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I like Richard. He says what he feels and isn't afraid to shed light on the many negative aspects of life here.

More power to you buddy, don't let the pencil pushers in uniforms drag you down!

I prefer to live according to the wise old saying :- Never approach the Lord of the manor unless specifically asked to do so.

13 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

All the Thai Defenders said it would be fine. 

Many people told us that the petition would not bring trouble. 

The clued up among us know the people here will turn against foreigners no matter their long contributions. They simply don't care. The smiles are plastic. 

Now learn from this prominent example. 

I just don't think they care about "contributions" myself. I can't say I blame them really, why would they. If you have saved a dozen kids from dying in a cave, that is one thing, but posting vlogs mostly for self promotion, why would they care about that? 

That is actually one of the things that bugs me the most about the blog. He goes out of his way to claim it is not about self promotion... if that is true just leave that text out. It sounds like a person who IS about self promotion trying to convince you it is not when you say that. 

What they do care about though is when you obviously take a stance against them. 

Archived