Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, meand said:

I just don't think they care about "contributions" myself. I can't say I blame them really, why would they. If you have saved a dozen kids from dying in a cave, that is one thing, but posting vlogs mostly for self promotion, why would they care about that? 

That is actually one of the things that bugs me the most about the blog. He goes out of his way to claim it is not about self promotion... if that is true just leave that text out. It sounds like a person who IS about self promotion trying to convince you it is not when you say that. 

What they do care about though is when you obviously take a stance against them. 

That is only human, take your sword out of the scabbard and your opponent will do the same, the IO has a bigger sword.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Nobody gives a crap about their 'loss of face', what a joke that something like this is even considered.

Ah, but someone dealing with Mr Barrow's paperwork obviously feels that he has lost face, and is making things difficult.

The clumsy legislation, uncoordinated application of said legislation, and perhaps the venal approach of some in position of (local) authority reacting to the petition are why he has this problem.

I don't think there is a policy to drive out foreigners, if there were then it would be far less subtle, and far more effective. In the last few months we would have been gone. We are really statistically insignificant. The current round of enforcement of rules on tourist visas is because (like visa exempt entry and Education Visas) people have abused them to - de facto - live here, often with all that implies in terms of working illegally. The more rigorous interpretation of existing regulations regarding Visa extensions for marriage ad retirement are again the result of some people openly "gaming the system" (and gleefully boasting of doing so). The TM 30 actions are, I suspect, driven by an intent to get a handle on the very large number of migrant workers from neighbouring countries who no longer live, or work, where they are registered as doing so.

No doubt for some these three policies are frustrating, tedious, but I don't think that they represent a campaign against "Farangs".

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Richard has the pen which is mightier than the sword?If used with finesse. 

words are written on paper, paper can be torn. words have consequences.

The moving hand doth write

and having writ moves on

nor all your pleas can cancel half a line

nor all your tears wash out one word of it

from "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam"

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Richard has the pen which is mightier than the sword?If used with finesse. 

I don't think finesse will save anyone, but assuming it could, having paypal "donate" buttons all over his website wont help. I am not saying it is wrong by the way, just how an io would probably interpret it. 

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

He followed the Tao te Ching, "be as water"

Never did him much good though did it, ended up a corpse at a young age. Barrow needs to remove all his anti TM30 stuff and say it was all a misunderstanding, he has had his warning.

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Never did him much good though did it, ended up a corpse at a young age. Barrow needs to remove all his anti TM30 stuff and say it was all a misunderstanding, he has had his warning.

We all die, he just died young, nothing lost or gained in the end, he embraced Tao te Ching fully in his physical actions at least, "doing by not doing"

I am somewhat confused?

A normal yearly extension at Samut Prakan would just be dealt with at that office wouldn't it? It doesn't usually get sent to "Bangkok" does it?

Rocking the boat doesn't turn out well - causes sick sickness!

RAZZ

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“I’ve lived in Thailand for twenty five years. I’ve spent most of my life here. But this is what I have to go through every year,” he added.

So is he alleging that his coverage of the TM30 issue is the reason for his application not being granted? If so, his own statement above seems to negate that claim. "this is what I have to go through every year,”

Confused!

48 minutes ago, JAG said:

drive out foreigners, if there were then it would be far less subtle, and far more effective

The world are watching and there are a difference in slapping some on the face than to telling them through regulations and media on a daily basis to watch their step.... otherwise a knockout

19 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Never did him much good?Dead at a young age but one of the most well known corpses of modern times."The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long" Roy Batty Blade runner.

Don't foret to chuck in a few Wai's for good measure.

Barrow needs to do what he wants like the rest of us do.

37 minutes ago, meand said:

I don't think finesse will save anyone, but assuming it could, having paypal "donate" buttons all over his website wont help. I am not saying it is wrong by the way, just how an io would probably interpret it. 

I think you highlight a large part of this current problem which is how IO's interpret things and how for every IO there is a differing interpretation of the rules.Getting them all(or most) on the same page would make things more predictable. 

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

So is he alleging that his coverage of the TM30 issue is the reason for his application not being granted? If so, his own statement above seems to negate that claim. "this is what I have to go through every year,”

Confused!

The article is written by a reporter and may contain embellishments,Barrow didn't write the article so is not responsible for the confusion.To find out what Barrow is alleging you would have to speak with him.The article written maybe misleading giving the impression that immigration is bullying Barrow when it may not be doing so.One aught to learn to be wary of things written and not always believe what you think you are seeing or reading.

Richard will probably get through unless he's left himself open to the authorities who are looking for something. I think there was a period where he tried to present himself as a travel blogger / new media journalist and very much played down his job as a teacher. In this thread many people seem to think he's a journalist, writer or even works for TAT (something going to ring bells with the word 'work'). The last couple of years he's back to emphasizing that he's a full-time teacher and blogging is a hobby. If I remember correctly from previous occasions he's referred to his annual extensions, he actually has a company and his posts refer to immigration officials at his office, so maybe he's not a direct employee of his school?

So I guess it could be a fishing trip to see if everything's in order and whether any of his activities are incompatible with his visa status. I doubt they'll refuse his extension unless they can point to specific reasons. I'm sure Richard has contacts that can pull a few strings on his behalf, although I suppose that would go against his own principles and might come with strings attached about what he could continue to say in the future. 

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Richard will probably get through unless he's left himself open to the authorities who are looking for something. I think there was a period where he tried to present himself as a travel blogger / new media journalist and very much played down his job as a teacher. In this thread many people seem to think he's a journalist, writer or even works for TAT (something going to ring bells with the word 'work'). The last couple of years he's back to emphasizing that he's a full-time teacher and blogging is a hobby. If I remember correctly from previous occasions he's referred to his annual extensions, he actually has a company and his posts refer to immigration officials at his office, so maybe he's not a direct employee of his school?

So I guess it could be a fishing trip to see if everything's in order and whether any of his activities are incompatible with his visa status. I doubt they'll refuse his extension unless they can point to specific reasons. I'm sure Richard has contacts that can pull a few strings on his behalf, although I suppose that would go against his own principles and might come with strings attached about what he could continue to say in the future. 

Richard has stated on his facebook page that he has not been a teacher for 5 years and is not employed by the school where he says he is head of the English dept and head of other areas in the school. He said that he works for an outside company promoting the school he used to work at. 

47 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What a bunch of moaning people, see how much effort a Thai has to do to stay in a western country.

To a certain extent I can agree with you, especially in terms of going as a tourist.

However, once you're living there it is a very pain free and simple process providing you have employment. Citizenship is all but guaranteed for many who want it.

My wife and I lived in England for two years, during in that time she had to go to the immigration office once to report her details. No continuous checks, no re - entry permits, no TM30!

We have since lived back in Bangkok two years, in that time I have had to go to CW three times and my HR department has probably had to take my passport for the 90 day report another 4 times. That isn't even counting obtaining the re - entry permits too. That is roughly a total of 7 times in the same time frame.

Being a normal person living here with a visa, with a work permit, married, with property etc in Thailand and still being treated like I shouldn't be here is what people are rightly getting annoyed about. 

He should change his nationality to Chinese, the stuff they pull and get away with, including the purchasing of Thai nationality is amazing. It's not what you know but who you know and it's not always that expensive either, we as falangs are treated differently to non native Chinese living here, I know it for a fact.

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you are married to a Thai you shouldn't need 'extensions', let alone have to wait for permission to live with her for a few weeks or months longer. What you should have after a reasonable qualifying period is a 10-year unlimited in and out visa with no TM30 nonsense either.

Like in other countries, permanent residence. Thais could easily do that if they wanted, just change the PR requirements. They won't, because they don't want to. It should be blazingly obvious to everybody Thais want the foreigners on short leash.

Archived