Malaysian couple robbed of documents, valuables, cash in Phuket bag snatch

rooster59

Malaysian couple robbed of documents, valuables, cash in Phuket bag snatch

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1565409779_1.jpg

Malaysian tourists fell victims to a bag snatcher on Route 4031 in Nai Yang. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A Malaysian couple were the victims of a bag snatch in Thalang this Thursday (Aug 8), as a teenage thief escaped with the couple’s documents, cash, golden bracelet, mobile phone and other personal belongings.

At 10.30pm this Thursday (Aug 8), Sub Lt Sura Lerttai of Sakoo Police was notified by two Malaysian tourists that they were robbed by a teenager on Route 4031 in Nai Yang area a couple of hours earlier.

The victims, Malaysian nationals Sivakumar Patchymuthu, 45, and Mrs Shiyamala Navaratnam, 44, described the incident as a typical snatch-and-run motorcycle robbery.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/malaysian-couple-robbed-of-documents-valuables-cash-in-phuket-bag-snatch-72470.php#XpQteYvqQK4YSlgU.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-10

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The victims, Malaysian nationals Sivakumar Patchymuthu, 45, and Mrs Shiyamala Navaratnam, 44, described the incident as a typical snatch-and-run motorcycle robbery.

sad, very sad and sorry for them but not much different that what happen to my friend and his wife 2 months ago in KL, they went for visa renewal, spend the night there, around lunch time were walking to the shopping mall, 2 guys on a scooter drove by grab the wife's bag throwing her on the floor requiring a visit to the hospital, thus not only Thailand... but 2 wrongs don't make one right

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

It's Low Season not much work around I remember in years gone bye burglaries were rife around Rawai 

Correct, low season and money is scarce... bag snatches, petty theft are on the increase.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's Low Season not much work around I remember in years gone bye burglaries were rife around Rawai 

A common reaction on the forum. But I have yet to see any statistic confirming this.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

A common reaction on the forum. But I have yet to see any statistic confirming this.

and you think thailand keeps track and collect statistics? read thai news and facebook and you will see, oh you probably cant read/write thai... majority of crimes in thailand go underreported, crime where my friends or family/relatives has been victim they did not report to police, only insurance. there was only 1 case where we did report they said they would come by our house they never did or never called back.

i read thai news everyday, there has been increase in violent robberies, in some cases stones been used to hit the victim, exemples  some day ago a lady managing a little store got stabbed in throat, same day older lady got hit with hammer and stunned with stun gun and robbed, 7 eleven robber shot employee etc 

7 minutes ago, ta158 said:

and you think thailand keeps track and collect statistics? read thai news and facebook and you will see, oh you probably cant read/write thai... majority of crimes in thailand go underreported, crime where my friends or family/relatives has been victim they did not report to police, only insurance. there was only 1 case where we did report they said they would come by our house they never did or never called back.

i read thai news everyday, there has been increase in violent robberies, in some cases stones been used to hit the victim, exemples  some day ago a lady managing a little store got stabbed in throat, same day older lady got hit with hammer and stunned with stun gun and robbed, 7 eleven robber shot employee etc 

Yes, Thailand does keep statistics, it really is not as backward as you and other tvf users seem to think. 

Your news is Phuket news? And you're keeping statistics?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, Thailand does keep statistics, it really is not as backward as you and other tvf users seem to think. 

Phuket news? im not talking about the crime situation in rawai as im not from there, im talking about whole thailand.  No i read thairath, khaosod etc, tvf and other English thai news do not even cover 10% of the murders,shootings,violent robberies that is in thai news.

Also show me crime statistics from 2017,2018, you seem to know where and how to find them. Farangs always have a such hard time believing that crimes can increase or is happening more than they think

im Only half thai born and Raised here what do i know right.

I once found "crime statistics" for each region of Thailand (north,south etc) for the year 2014 or 2015 the latest available.

all crimes had the exact same figures in each region.

10 hours ago, ta158 said:

Phuket news? im not talking about the crime situation in rawai as im not from there, im talking about whole thailand.  No i read thairath, khaosod etc, tvf and other English thai news do not even cover 10% of the murders,shootings,violent robberies that is in thai news.

Also show me crime statistics from 2017,2018, you seem to know where and how to find them. Farangs always have a such hard time believing that crimes can increase or is happening more than they think

im Only half thai born and Raised here what do i know right.

I once found "crime statistics" for each region of Thailand (north,south etc) for the year 2014 or 2015 the latest available.

all crimes had the exact same figures in each region.

" Also show me crime statistics from 2017,2018, you seem to know where and how to find them. Farangs always have a such hard time believing that crimes can increase or is happening more than they think "

No, I didn't say I know where and how to find them, but I do know they exist. You claimed they did not exist.

"No i read thairath, khaosod etc, tvf and other English thai news do not even cover 10% of the murders,shootings,violent robberies that is in thai news."

So the information is there. I have not referred to English language news whatsoever, you were the one presuming that.

"Phuket news?"

Yes, Phuket News, this is a Phuket topic in the Phuket News Forum.

You're presuming a lot BTW, "Farangs always have a such hard time believing that crimes can increase or is happening more than they think" " you probably cant read/write thai ", many times those presumptions are incorrect.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, Mavideol said:

sad, very sad and sorry for them but not much different that what happen to my friend and his wife 2 months ago in KL, they went for visa renewal, spend the night there, around lunch time were walking to the shopping mall, 2 guys on a scooter drove by grab the wife's bag throwing her on the floor requiring a visit to the hospital, thus not only Thailand... but 2 wrongs don't make one right

Kuala Lumpur is rampant with snatch thieves. The couple from Malaysia should be well aware of the counter measure against  snatch thieves noting their country of origin. The thief was  probably thinking that they (of Indian ethnic origin)are probably from the Indian subcontinent with many bling bling.  

18 hours ago, I am More Thai Than You said:

Only a fool would carry all those things around together in one bag. 

Thinking it is much better than to leave them in the hotel room especially if it is not an upmarket one. Moreover frequent news of valuables lost in Thailand hotel safes does not help matter. But then hindsight is always 20/20. 

18 hours ago, ta158 said:

"...majority of crimes in thailand go underreported..."

Amazing how many Thaivisa members say this.  If the crimes are unreported how do you know the "majority " stats about them?  Obviously, by definition, if they are not reported then there is no information about them available.

On 8/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, ta158 said:

A lot of insurance companies require a police report before they will pay out!

On 8/10/2019 at 9:36 PM, stevenl said:

so what are the stats  ?  can you link them for us .. can they be confirmed by a second source ..?  serious here 

Archived