Best silicone brand for joints

Farang two dot zero

Lots of silicones and sealants of different colours.

Unless you told him what you need it for then his advice isnt worth a jot.

So, to help you out, i will ask the question.

Is it for: santaryware, glass,general external use, roofing, worktops, cracks.

I currently have four 3m tubes, 2 bosny and 1 double D.

Only got tge 3m because they were and always are 2 for 1.....200bt should be for two.

Most important and i fell foul of this in a local merchant and global. Check the expiry date, if its not 12months hence put it back. I bought some 12 month expired and it was almost solid. Both stores received my full displeasure.

Homepro have 3M silicone sealer,it is /was buy one get one free.

it's a good sealer.

Dow is the original silicone sealer ,but never see it now.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. joints in what,?, cracks in walls,around windows ?

you cannot paint over Silicone sealer.

4 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Lots of silicones and sealants of different colours.

Unless you told him what you need it for then his advice isnt worth a jot.

So, to help you out, i will ask the question.

Is it for: santaryware, glass,general external use, roofing, worktops, cracks.

Glass and interior wall !

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Homepro have 3M silicone sealer,it is /was buy one get one free.

it's a good sealer.

Dow is the original silicone sealer ,but never see it now.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. joints in what,?, cracks in walls,around windows ?

you cannot paint over Silicone sealer.

You can get paintable silicone these days.

The biggest mistake I see people make is they don't know there are two types of silicon: neutral and acidic. Acidic can corrode metal, stain paint and wood, and cause problems on other types of surfaces. All bottles of silicon at the hardware stores I have seen clearly state acidic/neutral in English so making the right choice is easy to do but the sales people don't tend to know anything about this very important attribute.

47 minutes ago, canopy said:

The biggest mistake I see people make is they don't know there are two types of silicon: neutral and acidic. Acidic can corrode metal, stain paint and wood, and cause problems on other types of surfaces. All bottles of silicon at the hardware stores I have seen clearly state acidic/neutral in English so making the right choice is easy to do but the sales people don't tend to know anything about this very important attribute.

Cheers, didn't know that. Looking for some to seal between a stainless frame and concrete posts.

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You can get paintable silicone these days.

Yes its acryllic silicone and far less messy. I bought some black recently, little less viscous and i suspect its not up to the same standard as real silicone, but time will tell

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Cheers, didn't know that. Looking for some to seal between a stainless frame and concrete posts.

You need external quality mastic not silicone. It "should" have elastic qualities that allow expansion and contraction of the surrounding materials.

Whatever is used however wil not last very long in the sun here. It will degrade in 18monthsand shrinkand fall away.

14 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Whatever is used however wil not last very long in the sun here. It will degrade in 18monthsand shrinkand fall away.

Something that degrades in 18 months is probably acrylic, not silicone. Silicone has excellent outdoor durability and should last more than 20 years in the sun. When making a joint it is critical to use backerrod (pictured in green) and make an hourglass shape so the sealant can stretch rather than pull away from the sides.

br.png.da874c6bec20161fd2d43c27543e4504.png

22 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

You need external quality mastic not silicone. It "should" have elastic qualities that allow expansion and contraction of the surrounding materials.

It's to be used indoors, no UV exposure. But thanks also.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived