Jump to content
BANGKOK 17 August 2019 17:49
Farang two dot zero

Best silicone brand for joints

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I come back from Thai Watsadu shop and the salesman is heading me to a brand of Silicone sealant that I do not know. I doubt his impartiality so if someone would you have a good mark to advise me for white silicone no more than 200 bath for example TOA or 3M ?

Edited by Farang two dot zero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of silicones and sealants of different colours.

Unless you told him what you need it for then his advice isnt worth a jot.

So, to help you out, i will ask the question.

Is it for: santaryware, glass,general external use, roofing, worktops, cracks.

I currently have four 3m tubes, 2 bosny and 1 double D.

Only got tge 3m because they were and always are 2 for 1.....200bt should be for two.

 

Most important and i fell foul of this in a local merchant and global. Check the expiry date, if its not 12months hence put it back. I bought some 12 month expired and it was almost solid. Both stores received my full displeasure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Homepro have 3M silicone sealer,it is /was buy one get one free.

it's a good sealer.

Dow is the original silicone sealer ,but never see it now.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. joints in what,?, cracks in walls,around windows ?

                                      you cannot paint over Silicone sealer.

Edited by worgeordie
add on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polyurethane sealer is another option. Sikalfex is a quality brand.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black silicon 60 baht good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Lots of silicones and sealants of different colours.

Unless you told him what you need it for then his advice isnt worth a jot.

So, to help you out, i will ask the question.

Is it for: santaryware, glass,general external use, roofing, worktops, cracks.

Glass and interior wall !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troll posts and replies reported and removed.   Continue and face a suspension.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Homepro have 3M silicone sealer,it is /was buy one get one free.

it's a good sealer.

Dow is the original silicone sealer ,but never see it now.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. joints in what,?, cracks in walls,around windows ?

                                      you cannot paint over Silicone sealer.

You can get paintable silicone these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Polyurethane sealer is another option. Sikalfex is a quality brand.

Sikaflex, the Rolls Royce of sealants. Best stuff made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farang two dot zero said:

Black ? Color ? Brand ?

Any, silicon is silicon any cheap one works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest mistake I see people make is they don't know there are two types of silicon: neutral and acidic. Acidic can corrode metal, stain paint and wood, and cause problems on other types of surfaces. All bottles of silicon at the hardware stores I have seen clearly state acidic/neutral in English so making the right choice is easy to do but the sales people don't tend to know anything about this very important attribute.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, canopy said:

The biggest mistake I see people make is they don't know there are two types of silicon: neutral and acidic. Acidic can corrode metal, stain paint and wood, and cause problems on other types of surfaces. All bottles of silicon at the hardware stores I have seen clearly state acidic/neutral in English so making the right choice is easy to do but the sales people don't tend to know anything about this very important attribute.

 

Cheers, didn't know that. Looking for some to seal between a stainless frame and concrete posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You can get paintable silicone these days.

Yes its acryllic silicone and far less messy. I bought some black recently, little less viscous and i suspect its not up to the same standard as real silicone, but time will tell

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grollies said:

Cheers, didn't know that. Looking for some to seal between a stainless frame and concrete posts.

You need external quality mastic not silicone. It "should" have elastic qualities that allow expansion and contraction of the surrounding materials.

Whatever is used however wil not last very long in the sun here. It will degrade in 18monthsand shrinkand fall away.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...