Due to the Exchange Rates - have you changed your spending habits?

Pilotman

54 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

You would seriously send your wife to sit in an unguarded housing project guard house for 12,000 a month ?

Actually yes, because it was a reputable company that she worked office for, guarding farang houses where we lived - and no, not on her own

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

But doesn't that suppose that you have two accommodations available for your use all year, for which you are presumably paying, and which you have presumably furnished and kitted-out? Not to mention some sort of vehicle available in both places. That sounds expensive to me, and surely more expensive than just staying put here.

I like travelling and I like going on trips for a month or so, but I cant think of anything worse than spending six months in one place and six in another. I would never be at home. Still, each to his own.

To answer the OP's question: no. Having bought a car and a condo and fitted it out to my satisfaction I find that I dont spend much here these days. Not being a drinker and not having a family or any Thai acquaintances helps hugely with that, of course.

Yes it does... as I said, it was over-simplistic. Nonetheless, the amount of money saved by NOT exchanging Sterling to Baht (based on the notional rate of 50 vs reality) covers the cost of accommodation - and more - in the UK/Spain.

I know others who sit very comfortably with the 6 months/6 months arrangement, and consider it the best of both worlds - I know several people in the building industry who work 6 months in the UK to fund 6 months here. That is different, of course, and your point about 'belonging' to one place is highly relevant. Contentment is a major factor wherever you stay and you seem to have achieved that.

• Like 2

I have seen my income increase more so problems with me. I always had a sizeable margin to save for later. So I don't have a problem. It did make me more price aware and some things are just not worth it anymore. But that is just a mental thing.

Definitely cut back on unnecessary spending taking trips, out winning and dinning not bought any new clothes for ages but like everybody we have unavoidable cost like Car insurance, last month a new battery for the car we dont have any rent to pay so lucky there, 

• Like 2