Disgraced U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein dies by suicide - media reports

rooster59

Disgraced U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein dies by suicide - media reports

By Jan Wolfe

2019-08-10T132743Z_1_LYNXNPEF790KN_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-JEFFREY-EPSTEIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services' sex offender registry March 28, 2017 and obtained by Reuters July 10, 2019. New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services/Handout/File Photo via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Jeffrey Epstein, the U.S. financier facing federal sex trafficking charges, committed suicide on Friday night in his lower Manhattan jail cell, several U.S. media outlets reported on Saturday.

Epstein, who was arrested on July 6, had pleaded not guilty to charges of sex trafficking involving dozens of underage girls as young as 14, from at least 2002 to 2005.

The charges were announced more than a decade after Epstein pleaded guilty to state prostitution charges in Florida.

He was confined in the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan while he appealed a district judge's refusal to let him live under 24-hour guard in his home on the Upper East Side.

Last month, Epstein was found unconscious in his cell with injuries to his neck, media outlets reported, citing unidentified sources.

(Reporting by Jan Wolfe; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-10

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said at the time of him being found unconscious in his cell, there is absolutely no excuse of this man to have been left unguarded at any time, he was a clear suicide risk and his suicide would have grave implications for faith in justice being  served on the rich and powerful. 

I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but in this case it will be extremely hard to refute accusations of intentional neglect.

Thankfully, the FBI have recovered a mass of documents and tapes from this vile criminal, these now need to be made public. 

51 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

sex trafficking involving dozens of underage girls as young as 14

52 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

committed suicide

Good.

I wouldn't mind getting a piece of the fortune he left behind, maybe he's one of my 23 and Me cousins, we kind of look alike (when he was still breathing, that is).

There are many, many people who are breathing easier now that he's dead, partisan politics be damned.  Dead men tell no tales, especially not to prosecutors.  I'm not expecting any straight answers about the details of the suicide, but I suspect there was a fat bounty on him that every correctional officer knew about.

Lots of magazine articles and books to be sold about this too.  Lots of women selling their stories of what he did to them, true or not.  cha-ching!

15 minutes ago, malibukid said:

he was evidently on a suicide watch, considering who he had the dirt on, perhaps someone or some people was paid to "look the other way" and let this transpire. very suspicious. 

The MDC in Manhattan is a really nasty place.

God and few others know how this happened......

it would seem the US is no different to Thailand, or indeed the rest of the world, when it comes to the elite. They will always look after themselves. Always have and always will. It has been this way for millennia. All the calls for the Red Bull criminal etc will be treated with the same disdain. The plebs will whine and post on forums, but the result will be the same. Anyone remember Teddy and Mary-Jo?

Archived