How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

bowerboy

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes you are stuck. and even if you were in a western country changing jobs at 45 is difficult and in your fifties almost impossible. changing cities, schools is horribly difficult.

and sorry to say your children are really going to have a hard time trying to live in the west.

i think you need to stop thinking about leaving and get a house with no mortgage or debt in Thailand and pray to god nothing happens to your wife.   

Thanks for your thoughts and agreed on the first parts.

You may of misunderstood me on the second part....we definitely are not stuck here....we can very easily relocate to Australia anytime.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

im stuck in the way of back pain, its too horribly painful to relocate with all that entails

Sorry to hear that and yes that is a different kettle of fish entirely....as long as you are financially ok then I think Thailand is as good a place as any to be chronically ill (probably better here than in the UK if you have reasonable means here),

• Like 2

It’s an interesting topic. There will be many Farang with small children living in Thailand who get by on a pension, a pension in a home currency that has depreciated greatly against the Baht. If they look into going home with a Thai wife and family they may not reach the income threshold to apply and may be too old for the job market back home.

Currency depreciation will also affect their living standards in Thailand. With the rules changing for the worse they may find themselves not meeting the requirements of Thailand. They are between a rock and a hard place. Is their only option to abandon their family and return to a home country that may not be that welcoming? 

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

Family stayed here in Thailand (didn’t leave their international school and didnt move home)....I was back here almost every month and they came down every holiday....there was no drama.

The job in Oz was good but the job here is exceptional and is a huge Australian company with the idea to relocate me back to Oz in the future.

Your not stuck here are you? ????

So what exactly are you asking? My Thai wife has PR in Oz, she is now living in Thai as I am working in Myanmar for an international company. it suits us for me to visit her in Thailand instead of Oz and is cheaper for my employer.

To answer your question...No I'm not stuck anywhere, but you seem to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It’s an interesting topic. There will be many Farang with small children living in Thailand who get by on a pension, a pension in a home currency that has depreciated greatly against the Baht. If they look into going home with a Thai wife and family they may not reach the income threshold to apply and may be too old for the job market back home.

Currency depreciation will also affect their living standards in Thailand. With the rules changing for the worse they may find themselves not meeting the requirements of Thailand. They are between a rock and a hard place. Is their only option to abandon their family and return to a home country that may not be that welcoming? 

Thank you for your succinct summing up of the issue (you did a much better job of it than me).

Its a scary prospect and I think it effects a bit insignificant number of people living here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1