How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

bowerboy

26 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Well said! each paragraph gets a BIG emoji736.png 

Bonus emoji736.png’s would have been awarded had you said “all western countries” instead of “UK” only.

Because pretty much ALL WESTERN MEN would give up leftie to leave their sad, sorry existence by swapping their old, whale-sized wife for a sexy, young, little brown Thai babe.

Well..one has two choices with this post..either Olanzapine or Seroquel-but I have passed it on to the Aussie Gov't under the rubric..

"Dopey men would forgo their pension to fulfill their fantasies in Thailand.."

Or "Dopey men stand outside Centerlink office when they are skint after going to Thailand."

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

Been looking at Spain for few years now,cheaper to rent there than Thailand,plus cheap wine ,beer the food.
  clean pavements,beautiful seas,back 'ome in two hours for short visit.  Thailand's a real no-no,keep it
Similarly Portugal. Better if you're a EU person though.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Similarly Portugal. Better if you're a EU person though.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

considered portugal a couple years back. the schnitzel visa seemed weird and complex to get if you were not euro. think you had to leave the country every three months.

if things were free range, no way id be in thailand. just get so tired of the visa stuff and problems that i hung with what i knew even if its irritati g at times, at least its a familiar irritant. takes a lot of time and energy to deal with the bureacratic bs when travelling.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveK said:

How many of my UK friends are "stuck" in the UK because of a ridiculously expensive mortgage or an overweight wife? Pretty much all of them!

I'm pretty sure most of them would give their left nut to be shot of the place and be living in Thailand with a sexy little brown thing.

Sure Thailand has it's issues, but they can all be forgiven when the weather, food and girls are so infinitely better than in the UK.

I suppose we all have different friends. None of my UK friends are stuck in the UK due to an expensive mortgage or overweight wife.   None would give up any part of their anatomy to live in Thailand. None would wish to live in Thailand. Visit yes.

UK weather is somewhat grim, but there are other non Thailand alternatives that can match and actually better Thailand.

I do not like Thai food, most of it is junk with so much spice added to cover the bad taste.

Far prefer European food. As well as various other nation s foods.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, zorrow424 said:

Been looking at Spain for few years now,cheaper to rent there than Thailand,plus cheap wine ,beer the food.

clean pavements,beautiful seas,back 'ome in two hours for short visit.  Thailand's a real no-no,keep it

I had thought of it, southern Spain, it is as you say cheaper than Thailand in many respects, also better quality.

You are probably already aware of it but just in case not so a link to a large property site.

Plenty of options.

https://www.idealista.com/en/

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Been happily married and with the same amazing gal, for over a decade. And you know what? She really appreciates the fact that I am a man, rather than an emasculated wallflower. And I am appreciative that she is capable of manifesting the dignity and elegance within femininity, on a daily basis. She is not trying to be a man. And I adore her for that.

You have a great attitude for a man in his seventies. How old is the 'gal'

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not really 'stuck' here.

I've got enough income/savings to rent a house in Durham, and take my gf (settlement) and son (Brit citizen) back with me. I just don't want to go, and neither does she.

I thought you were welcoming death as soon as possible. I guess Durham would be close to that.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Fortunately, prior to moving here, I read a few books on Thailand, written by guys with all kinds of stories, about all kinds of women. So, I sort of came prepared. And I would not consider myself special in any way. But, I am cautious, patient, and willing to take my time, and push back. It has really paid off. That is my real world, thank you very much. Life is what we make of it. If someone is willing to lay down and be trampled upon, that is their choice. 

The rest of us don't think you are special either. read some books? really? Why didn't all your wealthy friends clue you beforehand? 

lots of love....Walter.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

You are only stuck in Thailand if you are miserable like many whiners. Otherwise it is all in your head. Either leave or deal with it.

I've been here 35 years, and still can't find anything to moan about!!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

There is no way out for me ,i have a loving ,wife ,a great son and i am happy here , oh we have a nice house a car and i like my friends and family .

Same here - lovely wife, great house, and the dogs. Plus the in laws are 80-plus so can't go anywhere right now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Same here - lovely wife, great house, and the dogs. Plus the in laws are 80-plus so can't go anywhere right now.

I think we've established that people who think they are stuck here, would feel that way wherever they are!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

I can say much the same after nineteen years. You are the very rare minority. Most foreigners i see and hear are the moaners. They have that 24/7 scowl on their face and look as it a huge stick is stuck where it should not be. Have also noticed this crowd can barely speak a word of Thai. I would be miserable also if i was either too stupid ,lazy and multiple lame reasons these foreigners are unwilling to adapt. I spot these creatures everywhere and run in the other direction when i see them coming. I pity the Thais that have to deal with them.

Yes, the language is the key, plus having a glass half full approach to life!

Edited by geronimo

I can't imagine what foreign tourists think when they land in Heathrow. The unfriendly immigration staff, and then realising that 50% of the staff in the airport wear a turban. And after that taking a bus out to a suburb which looks like Beirut during the Lebanese war, except there are broken washing machines on the pavements, or going into the centre where hardly anyone speaks English but they all want to screw you for as much money as humanly possible. From what I gather, Thai people seem to think that people in London all walk about wearing suits and top hats!

Edited by SteveK

Just now, SteveK said:

I can't imagine what foreign tourists think when they land in Heathrow. The unfriendly immigration staff, and then realising that 50% of the staff in the airport wear a turban. And after that taking a bus out to a suburb which looks like Beirut during the Lebanese war, except there are broken washing machines on the pavements, or going into the centre where hardly anyone speaks English but they all want to screw you for as much money as humanly possible.

The last time I went to the UK was in 2004 and wanted to return to Thailand after ten minutes!!!!! Was blown away by the number of fatties, and of course, having spent 3 decades here, the miserable faces were a bit of a shock.

• Like 1

A few years back I got a friend to pick me up at Heathrow after a few months in Thailand. We drove to a supermarket to pick up some stuff for a BBQ, not sure which town it was but was within 15 minutes of the airport. Not sure if it was the jet lag but I think I was the only white person in the supermarket (my mate is Asian). I told some of my Thai friends that the road signs are in Punjabi in Southall and they point blank refused to believe me, and I can't blame them, I still find it hard to believe myself even after having worked there. I was more out of place there than in a Big C in Nakhon Nowhere.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I would, but I'm in Chiang Mai and it's still torrential rain.

well,  I did get caught in a downpour.   even my gf just laughed it off as we made our way back .

she's a keeper .     

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, bowerboy said:

Thank you for your succinct summing up of the issue (you did a much better job of it than me).

Its a scary prospect and I think it effects a bit insignificant number of people living here.

What is "a bit insignificant number of people"?    Just trying to figure out if that's a lot or not a lot.  

Nevertheless, my story: I felt pretty stuck in LOS, where with an employed wife, one child, and myself over 60 and doing part-time teaching plus a small pension, I had enough, but not enough to buy my cashews or pizza every month, for example. Eventually a friend offered me a job remodeling his home back in the US, and it included room and board for the course of the job.  I was then able to save enough to bring the family over to the US, where I am again feeling stuck!  ????????  Now I'm just scraping by but would be doing fairly well if the wife would pitch in instead of sending her money back home and saving up for her future.  

On 9/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, geronimo said:

I've been here 35 years, and still can't find anything to moan about!!!!

That's encouraging to can't find a thing to moan about in Thailand after 35 years. My Thai wife and I have Thailand looming to move to, she's been here 5 years in USA. Seems okay, if we want a change of scenery, travel a bit.