How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

bowerboy

11 hours ago, friendphil said:

What is "a bit insignificant number of people"?    Just trying to figure out if that's a lot or not a lot.  

Nevertheless, my story: I felt pretty stuck in LOS, where with an employed wife, one child, and myself over 60 and doing part-time teaching plus a small pension, I had enough, but not enough to buy my cashews or pizza every month, for example. Eventually a friend offered me a job remodeling his home back in the US, and it included room and board for the course of the job.  I was then able to save enough to bring the family over to the US, where I am again feeling stuck!  ????????  Now I'm just scraping by but would be doing fairly well if the wife would pitch in instead of sending her money back home and saving up for her future.  

Your wife would qualify for Social Security off of your earnings after so many years in USA or other arrangement, such as married for so long. That would provide extra. She's only get 50% of what you get and that would be at her full retirement age, even still, it's extra money.

2 minutes ago, Bohemianfish said:

That's encouraging to can't find a thing to moan about in Thailand after 35 years. My Thai wife and I have Thailand looming to move to, she's been here 5 years in USA. Seems okay, if we want a change of scenery, travel a bit.

It's all about perception. Sure there are aspects of Thailand that could be better, but I don't focus on them, choosing instead to look at the many great things about living here.

Sadly, if you present some people with a white wall, they will do their best to find a black spot!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, SteveK said:

How many of my UK friends are "stuck" in the UK because of a ridiculously expensive mortgage or an overweight wife? Pretty much all of them!

I'm pretty sure most of them would give their left nut to be shot of the place and be living in Thailand with a sexy little brown thing.

Sure Thailand has it's issues, but they can all be forgiven when the weather, food and girls are so infinitely better than in the UK.

whats keeping them there if they are not happy?

On 9/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm not convinced many men in their late 60's or over could still get a job in the west.

Maybe I could get a night shift stacking shelves in Tesco/ASDA.

watch this vid if you think it's easy starting over after years fuking around in asia.

11 hours ago, fhickson said:

watch this vid if you think it's easy starting over after years fuking around in asia.

We saw that series & that guy was a total loser period in any country

His wife & sister are right just take a job & get started get some $$$ inflow.

But no instead he continues as he always has living off of others & a wealthy friend till even

that friends wife had him cut off

I'm not convinced many men in their late 60's or over could still get a job in the west.

Exactly.  Be realistic.  The only job you might get is working at B&Q DIY, because the company is kind enough to employ old age pensioners for a minimum wage....

Now factor in your living costs, house rent, council taxes, heating blah, blah, blah, and you can maybe understand why if things all went tits up for me, I would become a monk in my local Lao or Thai community, live rent-free in simple monastery lodgings, receive free food, and help in my local community, with zero concern about how the next bill is going to be paid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

That is your opinion.
I tried to learn Thai at first, and then gave up trying to be constantly corrected for a benign accent error.
Now I only speak with Thais who speak English as my wife. And I am perfectly happy as well.

The positive outlook is the must have

• 6 months later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I spent almost half day to search this type of post and took a day to read every single word. 

Whether to stuck in the first world or third isn't that simple matter to decide. I wouldn't even think about it if I had not been widowed. But being a single near 70, the life is very monotonous and depressing. And if you spend half an hour in Walmart, I bet anyone would not dare to be paired with anyone of the first world opposite gender. There is no difference in races, once the Asian is Americanized they have the same identical entitlement mentality as the Mayflower pioneers. 

I have $mill and no mortgage on my modern house in the resort  community. But bring a mail order bride wasn't that a smart choice. I tried once but stopped in the middle of the process luckily.  So the only alternative is to move to somewhere I can find a new wife to live together by giving up the standard of living in the first world or status quo. I found a good looking old lady and was contemplating all the options and made a post on this forum a few days ago, but overwhelming response was sarcastic nay. It is better to be safe than sorry and I took the advice and told her I am not interested in anymore. She might be an angel, but who knows whether she is a gold digger. Once I find out she is not an angel, it would be too late and I will be stuck like some of you guys. 

Then again, now I don't even have romantic fantasy anymore by saying no to her, looking at the empty space of three bedroom house, and became indecisive again. This thread gives me a lot of answers to my doubt and supposition. It really provides views from all different angle to see overall perspective. It seems the critical matter is not which country is better for life for all and any age, but which place is more desirable for life for lonely old male. It seems to me the first world is better for anyone who starts early life in terms of equal opportunity, orderly society and individual freedom. 

The real issue for me is that I don't drink and look for sex which is not a motivational factor for me to move to Thailand or anywhere. I want true love with not obese lady or gold digger, which is almost impossible at this age whether it is US or Thailand. So after reading all this I am still indecisive and picking my brain. 

However, this is very wonderful thread and I thank to ThaiVisa for that aspect.  

• Like 1

Been here close on 10 years,5 in another nearby country ,problems are there is no certainty of long stay in Thailand,rules made /forgotten..Spain most def is on my radar.

There I was last night,total stranger,he started off  25 years here..totally pi.ssed off..spoke, seemed like hours,fair bit of Spanish exchanged too,good night too  English beer on tap

With Spain,only couple of hours away from UK,but problems now appear unsurmountable,perhaps Thailand is a good place..least for a few years to hunker down

On 9/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, fhickson said:

there is a subset that gets off on much older partners. i have seen this in short term flings where money was not involved.

its more common young girl - older man, then it is vice versa.

whether its security seeking deep down ill leave that one to the shrink.

I used to have a "thing" for older women but it wore off when I got to the age of 50. 

• Like 1

Did not quite answer your Q

for a companion,Thai women are the tops,but only as companion,if they have kids / family they will drop you like yesterday.  Mine ,10 years,shes getting on an old lady,but now mom wants looking after,we are finished,I'm not moving up to the farm,but 10 years worth and fin ,just like that....but a million other women want to take her place

yanks can be a bit naive,believe anything that they tell you ,nothing is black and white here,they mostly will have a ton of secrets stashed away    keep your wits about you,the older ones take care better than the young ones,believe nothing they tell you..period

12 minutes ago, anto said:

I have the same story .Broke up with the Thai wife after 10 years in Thailand.Lost the house etc ,and had to come back to Ireland with nothing this time last year ,aged 66 years .Spent 8 months homeless living in a night shelter in Dublin.Luckily got a Council studio flat and the Irish state pension ,so am doing ok now .

Guess we are not the only ones

On 9/22/2019 at 3:55 AM, SteveK said:

I can't imagine what foreign tourists think when they land in Heathrow. The unfriendly immigration staff, and then realising that 50% of the staff in the airport wear a turban. And after that taking a bus out to a suburb which looks like Beirut during the Lebanese war, except there are broken washing machines on the pavements, or going into the centre where hardly anyone speaks English but they all want to screw you for as much money as humanly possible. From what I gather, Thai people seem to think that people in London all walk about wearing suits and top hats!

There are nice area in London.Its not all run down with anti social behaviour .I lived there for 20 years but now back in Ireland.

• Like 1