BANGKOK
bowerboy

How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

9 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

She has a nice career making 25kB/month (in her pocket -- no expenses) and never asks for one baht. 

How can anyone who eats, drinks, washes hair, turns on a light, talk on a mobile phone etc...etc... have "no expenses" ?  An unusual declaration in my opinion.   Saving is a good thing when you are young though

11 minutes ago, ianf said:

(lol). We can start talking at 16m. It would include some beautiful high quality furnishings etc.

(lol) you spent 16 million baht /  420,000 pounds sterling on a house in Thailand? 

Did you raise a family of 3 children? 

What happens when the 30 year land lease ends?  Is that lease passed onto the new owner?

Good Luck sir, wish you better luck on selling your house in the future.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

How can anyone who eats, drinks, washes hair, turns on a light, talk on a mobile phone etc...etc... have "no expenses" ?  An unusual declaration in my opinion.   Saving is a good thing when you are young though

She has no major expenses like rent, utilities, and food (works in a restaurant) -- that makes up about 99% of a Thai salary.  The small bits are inconsequential.  She invests at least 6kB/month and now has a 200kB nest egg, which at 43 is what I consider very successful for a Thai. 

The primary reason I am "stuck" here is my own apathy.   I know I should get off my a** as the gap in my CV only gets bigger, obviously.  Whatever network I had before is dead, folks move on, haven't kept in touch.  Coasting along in Thailand has been far too easy.

14 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

She has no major expenses like rent, utilities, and food (works in a restaurant) -- that makes up about 99% of a Thai salary.  The small bits are inconsequential.  She invests at least 6kB/month and now has a 200kB nest egg, which at 43 is what I consider very successful for a Thai. 

My ex wife is 39, works for Siemens and has 10m in savings, land galore and she still screams poverty. 

The 24 year old I dated for 2 weeks bofore she dumped me was making more than expats on their overseas packages. 

The average varies greatly where you live and how smart you are. 

42 minutes ago, Pravda said:

My ex wife is 39, works for Siemens and has 10m in savings, land galore and she still screams poverty. 

The 24 year old I dated for 2 weeks bofore she dumped me was making more than expats on their overseas packages. 

The average varies greatly where you live and how smart you are. 

she had different boyfriends that all send her 50.000 baht a month "for expenses" ?

3 minutes ago, justin case said:

she had different boyfriends that all send her 50.000 baht a month "for expenses" ?

Which one? 24,yo one? 

I don't know. She is very intelligent. She does make money online without showing her skin. She actually gave me an idea. Sometimes it pays to meet these women regardless if you're getting some or not. 

4 hours ago, rosst said:

There is also the scenario of retirement and where is the money coming from ??

I am currently in OZ sorting my pension, but you need 35 years of work to qualify for what is not a great deal of weekly income but you can live a reasonable life with it.  I couldn't see myself surviving without it.

Your future financial needs are your biggest issue and medical care for the long term and latter years.

If you can secure an English pension, you should be OK but that is also not so easy these days.

Good luck 

As far as I know you can get an OAP after just living in Oz for 35 years, without working a single day.

33 minutes ago, Pravda said:
38 minutes ago, justin case said:

Which one? 24,yo one? 

I don't know. She is very intelligent. She does make money online without showing her skin. She actually gave me an idea. Sometimes it pays to meet these women regardless if you're getting some or not. 

How can you possibly know for certain how she's making her money....or if she's even making "more than expats on their overseas packages."  Some of these girls (or BGs) purport to make obscene amounts, but even if they do, it may not be consistent income.  I would take with a grain of salt what young females tell me they make.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

(lol) you spent 16 million baht /  420,000 pounds sterling on a house in Thailand? 

Did you raise a family of 3 children? 

What happens when the 30 year land lease ends?  Is that lease passed onto the new owner?

Good Luck sir, wish you better luck on selling your house in the future.  

230K pounds assuming he purchased at 70bht/pound.

(he may have only paid 120k as the land was probably a lot cheaper then)

But agree it's laughable to spend that much on a Mooban house.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

A bit similar to me, been here 20 years and have a boy and girl, if it wasn't for them I probably would have shot myself by now, as haven't achieved anything else living here, unless porking a few hundred girls and getting drunk on cheap beer is an achievment?

I've achieved less than you, but in only 10 years.

One child, now aged 8, and 50 or so girl porkings.

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, ianf said:

I am stuck here because I cannot sell my house in Chiang Mai. Its a great property on a secure moo baan. The Price has dropped by 33% but still no buyers. Thats because the housing market is dead. If I could sell I could move back to the UK and buy a small house. But with the rental prices in the UK I have to stay here until I sell. I am stuck. Glued. Immobile. Depressed. So if you want what is in effect two houses partly furnished for a snippet let me know (lol). We can start talking at 16m. It would include some beautiful high quality furnishings etc.

i dont think sales are too common in chiang mai province at that price. your going to be waiting awhile.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, jayboy said:

Surprise surprise they prefer bright well educated young Thais of the opposite sex of roughly the same age (usually).

If you are talking about uneducated and poor Isaan girls, it's a different story of course.They have very few options.

My daughter is at University, her class of 40 has 2 guys, and one of them is a ladyboy.

Same for my gf when she was at university.

What they want, and what's available to young Thai ladies are two entirely different things.

I'm sure my gf would have preferred a nice educated Thai man, her own age with a good job.

She did find one, but his mom and dad turned up and said she was too 'low class' for their son.

I'm a lot older, and was the best she could get. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My daughter is at University, her class of 40 has 2 guys, and one of them is a ladyboy.

Same for my gf when she was at university.

What they want, and what's available to young Thai ladies are two entirely different things.

I'm sure my gf would have preferred a nice educated Thai man, her own age with a good job.

She did find one, but his mom and dad turned up and said she was too 'low class' for their son.

I'm a lot older, and was the best she could get. 

Not sure if still true, but there used to be different university entrance requirements for girls and boys. This was because the girls would score much higher. Good girls are not allowed out and must stay home, even into their 20's, boys on the other hand are free to do whatever. Therefore girls stay home and hit the books and boys play. They also, in a broad sense, seem much more serious students. I know this is an oversimplification but look at the number of Thai female MD's and other professionals. Thailand is basically a matrilineal society. 

My daughter graduated as a Mechanical Engineer in US and was the only girl in her graduate ceremony. I also met a number of female Thai engineers her in Thailand. 

If you are only exposed to girls at the bars or entertainment places you'll never see this side of life.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fhickson said:

i dont think sales are too common in chiang mai province at that price. your going to be waiting awhile.

16M isn't going to sell except to rich falongs. Well to do Thais like to build things themselves. If its a teak wood house you could take it down and sell the wood. If it's a brick/cement house you are out of luck.