How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

bowerboy

5 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

In my view (moving back to Australia) I would need $75k to allow for car, furniture and probably 6 months rent in advance to ensure you get the place you want. $125k if you don’t have a job to go back to.

Yep, I agree with these numbers. I always said to myself if I was out of work, spending more than was coming in and got down to my last $100K, it was time to go home. That would be the parachute point.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure that transitioning back to any ones home country after being absent for years would be difficult, financially draining and hard from a social network perspective. The positive at the moment if you come from the UK or Australia and want to return is the currency disparity at the moment and the fact that real estate prices in both country's is either flat or or in Australia's case in decline. 

Much harder for people who have to rent, find work, set children up in school, buy vehicles and furniture.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd buy a run down small holding in rural France for around 20,000 Euros and try self sufficiency.

I'm never working for someone else again. 

You can probably get something even cheaper in Serbia and last I heard you can get residency based on that as long as they see you're actually living in it. 

I wouldn't say "no way out", but I can definitely see Pattaya ceasing to be a viable option.  I "indulge" in the main attractions of Pattaya less and less as my time here lengthens, been there, done that......????

• Back to the UK - no, not in any circumstances.  I feel more of a foreigner there than here, I expect to die here, though hopefully not just yet! 
  • Other Asian countries - I have a Thai wife who wouldn't go for that. 
  • Rural Thailand yes, probably in a few years.  Right now I'm thinking 30-60 minutes out of Pattaya, far enough for cheaper living, close enough for easy evening visits when I feel the need for liveliness.

20 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

For you life is good and you are smart to have  assets in your home country and Thailand.   

The fact  is that you repreent less than 1% of the people in Thailand.  Those of us who are aging (over 70) cannot re-enter the workforce at the same salary we retired at and thus are stuck with what we have which due to currency fluctuations decreases significantly.

Over the last 5 years- all myp ensions (4 of them) have provided me with  20,000 less Baht or a loss of 1 million Baht.  While I haven't  changed my lifestyle significantly costs have also gone up.   Even eating a mostly Thai diet- I have noticed rising prices in all sectors. 

Imported  items have risen significantly due to Thailand changing its way of figuring excise taxes.  Most irems originating from tjhe West- now cost 400-500% more in Thailand than  the country of origin.  Absolutely ridiculous and makes a mockery out of free trade and free trade agreements- yet our own governments do nothing  to counter this.  In fact, they appear to  bend to every Thai whim, such as the  Embassy letter situation and refuse to assist their own citizens.

Is a person stuck -varies according to age; family situation and finances.  Those of us who have invested heavily in Thailand in houses, land, cars and taking care of families generally would find it difficult and near impossible to relocate to our home countries unless we sold everything we have and that would take a great deal of time.  The truth is that I could walk away from everything and move back to the USA and live a good financial life- except in doing so my Thai family would be devastated and thrust into a life with  much fewer financial prospects and a hard time for all.  The selfishness and immorality of such an act by me would haunt me forever.

The problem I am having is that the life I have in Thailand has become less enjoyable due to various factors to include the Immigration xenophobia;  the direction of the current government; police harrassment; poor climate; lack of any planning; safety issues and double pricing to name a few. In the past- there were just a few inconveniences and issues that could be ignored, but at present the numbers of these issues has increased to a level that is less tolerable.

In addition- Thais just do not seem to have either the will or ability to make the necessary changes  which would benefit all residents and citizens.  The mai pen rai attitutude is pure laziness and commitment and driving Thailand further and further down the rabbit hole.  

But apart from all that, Thailand’s ok khrap ?

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

But apart from all that, Thailand’s ok khrap ?

really good question.  Generally speaking- It is OK and tolerable because I have learned to avoid most of the issues that  are irritating.   In addition, being able to speak polite Thai has helped me many times and my understanding of how Thais think has kept I and them mostly smiling.

I believe the Immigration issue regarding extensions and the lack of assistance in ironing out the Embassy letter problem has irritated me so much that all the other irritants have become magnified and thrown in the mix.  While- I can find the resources to stay in Thailand- I am constantly reminded that when Thai people married to foreigners obtain their Visa back to the Us; UK etc that this visa provides a form of permanent residency and eliminates all the nonsense that Thai Immigration places on us each year.  

I and others feel that since we have contributed significantly to the Thai economy after decades; do not break any laws and respect local customs we are still treated as temporary visitors and interlopers by the officials.  There is absolutely no reciprocity- our governments do nothning to assist us nor even seek reciprocity in immigration or trade yet are happy to enforce our home country tax laws when necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You can probably get something even cheaper in Serbia and last I heard you can get residency based on that as long as they see you're actually living in it. 

And you could bump into the latest resident Yingluck in one of the hi so hotels on the Danube. Serbia is also very cheap , yes including renting a home or girl/boy and has  great food 

• Haha 1

If you can, don't burn your bridges back home. Not easy for all, but at least it gives you a chance. Do feel sorry for all that are stuck especially those with kids and don't want to leave them. It's getting harder. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

And you could bump into the latest resident Yingluck in one of the hi so hotels on the Danube. Serbia is also very cheap , yes including renting a home or girl/boy and has  great food 

As long as you are ok with the cold for at least 6 months per year..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

you want a real stuck story ?

recently divorced ... want to move back with my child

ex-wife is stopping this even she does not visit the child, does not care, apparently f. around, but don't have 10 min per day/week/month to call or visit daughter

but does not allow me going back

that is stuck in the prison of thailand

ah yes, let's not forget, she does everything for me to not obtain a valid visa

supposed to help with that by court divorce agreement, but off course she is thai and cannot be bothered but is ready to sue ME for sole custody if I do not pay a bill on time...

embassy is of no use, thai courts are for thai people only, ... 

Are you above 50? Nobody can prevent you to get a valid visa as long as you have enough cash...In fact even below 50 you can get Elite visa.