EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

17 minutes ago, Basil B said:

He is right...

But it will hurt most or all EU countries to varying degrees that's why they want a deal, ...But not at any price.

That makes sense.

If the NI backstop is the difference between getting a deal through parliament, and no deal, it does seem a very a price at all.

In financial terms nearly zero  -  in emotive, egotistic terms it may have a higher value to some.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes you are correct:

’All the many trade agreements the EU (and hence UK) has around the world’.

The UK is on the verge of dumping them all.

In the last 3 years HMG has arranged dozens of bi-lateral agreements which will be signed as soon as they're free to do so....& before this attracts your customary guffaw it (not signing until out) is a legal requirement between HMG & EU.

Press releases to this effect were trickled out by HMG in real time & most were flagged up on these pages as and when they appeared.

HTH

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

That makes sense.

If the NI backstop is the difference between getting a deal through parliament, and no deal, it does seem a very a price at all.

In financial terms nearly zero  -  in emotive, egotistic terms it may have a higher value to some.

What have member’s of the US Congress had to say about this and how it impacts any future UK:US trade deal?

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

In the last 3 years HMG has arranged dozens of bi-lateral agreements which will be signed as soon as they're free to do so....& before this attracts your customary guffaw it (not signing until out) is a legal requirement between HMG & EU.

Press releases to this effect were trickled out by HMG in real time & most were flagged up on these pages as and when they appeared.

HTH

More Brexiteer pointing at birds in the trees.

37 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think that depends on a couple of things

- if the EU tries to make things difficult (punish the UK for leaving)

- if there is no sensible trade deal reached

long term the UK has many options

which are ???? please enlighten us

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What have member’s of the US Congress had to say about this and how it impacts any future UK:US trade deal?

Who cares................... the Donald has promised the earth.....

46 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The UK is on the verge of dumping them all.

they didn't realized that yet....take some time for these things to settle in the brexiters heads

29 minutes ago, smedly said:

only 8 account for anything and that does not include the USA and China

in order to make a deal with the US, China or anybody else the UK has first to exit the EU and than it will take some time 9anybody's guess ??) to make trade deals, sometimes up to 10 years, what will the UK do in the mean time

16 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

unless there is no deal

Then the uk will be responsible for the consequences of not honouring the deal they negotiated. 

Regarding any future trade deal, I’m sure Eire will ensure that the damage the british have wilfully inflicted upon The Good Friday Agreement is repaired. 

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

in order to make a deal with the US, China or anybody else the UK has first to exit the EU and than it will take some time 9anybody's guess ??) to make trade deals, sometimes up to 10 years, what will the UK do in the mean time

Try reading #32.

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Agree. If the EU is seen to be punishing the UK I think they'll be shocked at the British consumers reaction. It wont be tariffs stopping them buying it will be sentiment. 

Much like Koreans are shunning Japan's products you could see a similar thing in the UK and that 68 billion surplus could shrink massively.

The EU need to grow up and offer something sensible. 

you are mixing up apples and oranges.... SK and Japan have a very old (long) bad relationship history and once in a while it comes up as a form of trade disagreements, back at the WW2 Japan invaded SK and took their women to be used as sex slaves by Japanese soldiers, Japan never apologize for that and the bad blood still around....

52 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The EU exports more to the UK than the UK exports to the EU.

Don't know now but 40 years ago it was already like that .

I was a trucker and went many times to GB, sometimes twice a week from Brittany ( France ) ;

I went there with french eggs ( sometimes coming back to France with british eggs , in fact the same eggs with different papers... if some of you were on the road or working in the world of international transport, you know that some funny things have happened and are still happening;
for example, steel from the foundries of St Etienne who went up to Sweden and who went back down to France having become Swedish steel without never having left the semi trailers which transported it.

I went often to Hull with green apples coming from Angers in France ...

But always I came back empty from GB;
there was never anything to load for the continent.

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Try reading #32.

did and still not making any sense, HMG or anybody else had no (rights) authority to make any bilateral deals until the UK exits the EU

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Parallel negotiations with China and the USA? I think Donald and the Chinese both will not like that.

22 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

10 years is about par for the EU (if they're lucky).

14 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Don't know now but 40 years ago it was already like that .

I was a trucker and went many times to GB, sometimes twice a week from Brittany ( France ) ;

I went there with french eggs ( sometimes coming back to France with british eggs , in fact the same eggs with different papers... if some of you were on the road or working in the world of international transport, you know that some funny things have happened and are still happening;
for example, steel from the foundries of St Etienne who went up to Sweden and who went back down to France having become Swedish steel without never having left the semi trailers which transported it.

I went often to Hull with green apples coming from Angers in France ...

But always I came back empty from GB;
there was never anything to load for the continent.

What an amazing carbon footprint the EU must own! Size 13 EE at a modest guess?

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

As said #32.

maybe you have a problem reading English, which part of the " still not making any sense"  didn't you understood,  be so kind to read #49 one more time, but slower this time 555

Jean Claude on the introduction of the Euro

"We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back."

Archived