EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In the absence of anything constructive....

It was a humorous way of clarifying the post you had questioned and was based on personal experience. I could have added that from 30,000' you (Ex RAF) might not have noticed but as these boards are bereft of anything resembling banter I chose not to bother.

14 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Yes absolutely, the Swiss have an electronic border with the EU. I think initially the EU saw the Irish border as a stick to beat the UK with - a negotiating tool. As far as Brexit goes nobody is an expert as it has never been done before but the facts do lean towards the EU losing more to a no deal Brexit than the UK simply because more goods flow into UK than into the EU with Germany the biggest loser. Merkel has already stated that more than 2 million German jobs rely on their exports to the UK. If the EU didn't want to sell goods to the UK then that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. These days of cheap shipping means goods are readily available from around the globe.

There's this zombie notion that refuses to die in the minds of, apparently, most Brexiters. Namely, that because the UK balance of trade with the EU is negative therefore the EU will suffer more. But the fact is that the EU economy minus the UK is still roughly 6 times the size of the UK's economy. So unless the EU's exports to the UK are 6 times the size of the UK's exports to the EU, the UK still comes out a loser by a huge marginin terms of impact upon the the respective economies affected, 

"In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports).

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

And where did you come up with that nonsense that Merkel said Germany will lose 2 million jobs? The biggest number I have found projects a loss of 1.2 milllion jobs for the entire EU. In that study, the UK would lose over half a million jobs. Again since the UK economy is 1/6 the size of the rest of the EU, it would still be hit harder. And the loss of EU jobs is largely related to supply chain disruption which over time would be remedied by moving the supply chains back to the EU.

15 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Yes absolutely, the Swiss have an electronic border with the EU. I think initially the EU saw the Irish border as a stick to beat the UK with - a negotiating tool. As far as Brexit goes nobody is an expert as it has never been done before but the facts do lean towards the EU losing more to a no deal Brexit than the UK simply because more goods flow into UK than into the EU with Germany the biggest loser. Merkel has already stated that more than 2 million German jobs rely on their exports to the UK. If the EU didn't want to sell goods to the UK then that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. These days of cheap shipping means goods are readily available from around the globe.

The Swiss have the same kind of border with the EU that all other nations do with respect to trade in goods. Nothing to do with an electronic border. It does have to do with the fact that Switzerland is an EFTA member and a member of the Schengen zone.

However, because Switzerland is not in the Customs Union, there are complications at its borders.

If you do the folloing search term, you should be able to access a link to FT.com which will explain this in some detail.

swiss eu  border ft.com

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

It was a humorous way of clarifying the post you had questioned and was based on personal experience. I could have added that from 30,000' you (Ex RAF) might not have noticed but as these boards are bereft of anything resembling banter I chose not to bother.

Fairy nuff, and you are right I should have noticed. Unfortunately there are a couple of particular xxxheads that make it very easy to be distracted.

21 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

Quite, I remember driving around the EEC with my dad, we drove from Belgium to Luxembourg, to Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, back into Germany, accidentally into France, then up into Holland, and back to the UK. No checkpoints, no EU. There were little blue milestone markers when you drove across from Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany, and Belgian francs were interchangeable with Lux Francs. Things only started getting complicated when they changed the EEC into the EU, and they may end up unravelling the whole grand project because they don't allow economic winds to get behind their sails, it's all thinly-veiled politics all the time, and the public across different EU countries are not universally buying it.

You are obviously relatively young. I was stationed in Germany 72 till 75, before and after the UK joined the EC and there were checkpoints everywhere throughout that time. We were just inside the German/Dutch border and many went to do their shopping in Venlo and then had to smuggle some back into Germany because of import restrictions.

Friend of mine was coming up to repat and took some of his stuff back to the UK, when he got to the border they wanted some duty on a TV he had, he declined and said he would take it back home. He shot up to the next checkpoint a few miles up the border, the customs man there said he had made good time, and doubled the duty.

You think that things got complicated!!

On 8/14/2019 at 6:23 AM, bristolboy said:

There's this zombie notion that refuses to die in the minds of, apparently, most Brexiters. Namely, that because the UK balance of trade with the EU is negative therefore the EU will suffer more. But the fact is that the EU economy minus the UK is still roughly 6 times the size of the UK's economy. So unless the EU's exports to the UK are 6 times the size of the UK's exports to the EU, the UK still comes out a loser by a huge marginin terms of impact upon the the respective economies affected, 

"In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports).

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

And where did you come up with that nonsense that Merkel said Germany will lose 2 million jobs? The biggest number I have found projects a loss of 1.2 milllion jobs for the entire EU. In that study, the UK would lose over half a million jobs. Again since the UK economy is 1/6 the size of the rest of the EU, it would still be hit harder. And the loss of EU jobs is largely related to supply chain disruption which over time would be remedied by moving the supply chains back to the EU.

In a more simple way: 8% of GDP is at risk for UK compared to 2.3% for EU-27.

Of course, in case of no deal, UK will not lose all of those 8% of GDP. But losing only 2% is enough to trigger a recession.

Archived